Proper test buy procedure?

Hi MAV-DAK. Should I use my seller account that offers the similar product to do the test buy? I have two seller accounts (yes I have approval for both). I can do the test buy from my other seller account if it helps.

If your return request is not approved or the refund is not given by the seller, then you will have to file A=Z to recover the money. There is a lifetime cap on the number of A-Z one account can file.

Do you make your branded product here in the USA or import it from China?

> We have a separate buyer account that has no way of identifying the purchase is coming from us (i.e. different name, different address, etc.). We use this account to purchase. Amazon is not going to care about how it was purchased – just as long as they have an Amazon order clearly showing the order was made to the seller your reporting.

Yes, Amazon will care about how it is purchased…and really no reason to hit behind another buyers account…if you are doing a +legitimate+ test buy.

Especially given the recent seller vs. seller attacks it would not really be in a seller’s best interest to make it seem you are purposely being sneaky about what you are doing.

We have a separate buyer account that has no way of identifying the purchase is coming from us (i.e. different name, different address, etc.). We use this account to purchase. Amazon is not going to care about how it was purchased – just as long as they have an Amazon order clearly showing the order was made to the seller your reporting.

Yes I manufacture my own products here in the USA. We manufacture all of it in our warehouse.

I guess we have been lucky then. Amazon has never rejected our claims doing a test buy this way.

There have been posters here trying to do test buys, but because the seller knows the order is from the one voicing a complaint they were just cancelling the orders – thus not allowing the legitimate seller to report a violation through a test buy. From my conversations with Amazon, they request an order solely to ensure the item received came from the seller referenced in the violation report.

Yes, I know that cancellations can affect metrics, but if the seller is doing a lot of volume there is no way to generate enough orders to have their cancel rate go above the 4.5% threshold Amazon allows for.

We will continue to do our test buys through our other buyer account since it has served us well over the years and dozens of test buy violations successfully done with offending sellers removed.

Future rejected A-to-Z’s will be one thing…banned buyers accounts (and related seller’s account) would be the other if Amazon’s takes what you are doing as malicious.

Yes, cancellations directly affect accounts…and it is highly unlikely the merchants you are purchasing from are +that+ high volume that +repeated+ cancellations would not phase them.

Again, no reason to not be transparent about the process if a seller’s intentions are honest.

Continue to order and note this in your report.

and hiding behind fictitious buyers account isn’t one of them.

Per your own statement…sounds like you like you have quite the blurred between what +should be done+…and what you will +do+…no matter the costs.

Hopefully you don’t find yourself on the other side of the fence.

and what if they keep canceling your order?

What are you going to do then?

In the meantime the bad seller keeps selling product, product reviews drive down the popularity of the product down, sales drop because of the bad reviews and by the time you finally get the seller to fulfill the order to keep their cancellation rate down or Amazon removes the seller due to performance metrics, the product page is tainted and sales never come back.

Again, I will continue to do what has worked for years without fail on dozens of test buys through a secondary buyer account so we can get these sellers off the product page as quickly as possible.

LoL, like using common sense with Amazon can accomplish anything.

There is a well define way and steps that you have to do in order to get what you want.

If you follow it you get what you want, if you don’t you’ll just put yourself in an endless loop.

What MAV DAK has posted above is the most complete guide on how to conduct test buys I have seen on the forums, that’s exactly whats required to do, nothing more and nothing less.

I thought I would add my 2 cents. I also have Brand Registry and fight other sellers constantly. MAV-DAK is absolutely correct. In my own experience I have had to submit up to 3 times before I saw any action so don’t be discourage if the first attempt is not successful! Resubmit it. You are are absolutely in the right!

>
Yes and your solution of hiding behind an unrelated buyers account solves everything.

We both know your excuse about you being worried they would cancel your orders is not valid…because you are not going after anything relating to high-volume sellers.

Many times it will end (on it’s own) after they realize the brand owner is ordering their counterfeit products for Amazon reporting.

In actuality you hiding behind unrelated buyers accounts probably delays what you are supposedly trying to achieve in your above text.

It’s always best to try the honest route first…you’ll never know where it gets you.

>

Your suggestion that how Mav-Dak conducts product reviews is “dishonest” is patently absurd.

There is good reason to veil yourself from these thieves–and frankly nothing is really ‘anonymous’ in the transaction–anyone who wanted to could connect the dots. And Amazon has all the dots connected and that’s all that matters.

Edited by: a_starving_actor on Jan 6, 2016 5:07 PM

>

None of those threads even remotely talks about the “proper way” to do a test buy is to hide behind unrelated buyers accounts.

As previously mentioned…when you purposely make the test buying process less than transparent…little then separates someone from using those fictitious accounts to take care of (legitimate) competition…under the veil of “unrelated” upset customers.

“Scouts Honor” really doesn’t hold much weight here.

Yes, honesty has worked for us…since there’s nothing to hide and no question of what is going on. 1) Formal email letter 2) Test Buy 3) Detailed report. Simple, Transparent and to the point.

You though seem perfectly content with some type of justification of blurring the lines.

Difference being…ours has no way to come back and bite us since we are not pretending to be someone we’re not or can be construed as some type of sneak attack on the competition…your’s not so certain.

Hopefully your luck holds.

Nope and never said they did. They do, however, make it clear that sellers will cancel test buys over and over again because they know they are test buys. And was to counter your statement of… +“We both know your excuse about you being worried they would cancel your orders is not valid…”+

The [proper way|https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-5?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200414340&qid=1452132569&sr=1-5], as posted by Amazon about a test buys, says nothing about what account the test buy needs to come from; only that a test buy (order number) is required.

You may want to read the following topics that all talk about sellers cancelling test buys over and over again – delaying the ability of the seller getting the violator removed and posting their frustrations here on the forums:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3280998
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3339269
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3227752
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3460649

> Many times it will end (on it’s own) after they realize the brand owner is ordering their counterfeit products for Amazon reporting.
>
Sure, but why wait weeks for the counterfeiter to make the connection when you do not have to. Besides, if they are smart, they will just purchase a real item and ship that to me – if they know the order is a Test Buy.

> In actuality you hiding behind unrelated buyers accounts probably delays what you are supposedly trying to achieve in your above text.
>
I can live with removal of counterfeit sellers within 24 hours of my violation reports.

> It’s always best to try the honest route first…you’ll never know where it gets you.
Agreed. And until Amazon states in their Test Buy process that they will not accept violation reports unless the purchase is made on the buyer account linked to our seller account, we will continue to do what has worked.

Besides, Amazon is very smart. I have no doubt they are aware of all linked accounts – buyers and seller accounts. I do not hide from Amazon and that is all that matters.

All I am saying is there are occurrences (as you can read about on the sample of posts linked above) where buying which can easily be known its a test buy can cause complications and delays. To remedy that, I have confirmed with my contacts at Amazon that it is not against policy and will not impede a reported violation when referencing an Order Number that is not associated with the buyer account of our seller account. Even if the possibility is low, I am not going to take a chance of playing games with a counterfeiter cancelling orders for weeks until their metrics suspend them. I have better things to do with my time.

Look, I do not want to argue. We can agree to disagree. You continue to do your Test Buys on your buyer account linked to your seller account and I will continue my way. If both methods work then I am not sure why your so strongly against the method we use and see no reason for the hostility in your posts.

closed #22