Product Labeling - ASIN vs FNSKU?

In the past we’ve always labeled products that required labeling with a scannable ASIN sticker and never had any issues. Until now we have never had an issue. One specific product is marked as requiring a label, even though there is a barcode, so we apply the ASIN label over the barcode. We are now getting a warning that there is a problem due to “barcode label missing” with pictures showing the ASIN sticker over the barcode.

We opened a case and are told that we have to use a FNSKU label. Since when is an ASIN label not acceptable? We have always used ASIN labels on products with and without barcodes and have never had an issue. Even in the “how to” video it looks like they are applying an ASIN label, not a FNSKU. Anyone have any input?

My FNSKU code has changed

The critical piece of missing information is: Are you using Stickered or Stickerless Inventory? If you are set up as Stickerless/Commingled, there should be no problem with you using the standard ASIN (starts with a B) barcode. If you are using Stickered, you need to use the FNSKU, which is unique to your account, and starts with an X. If you are set up as Stickered and sending in ASIN barcodes that won’t work.

Good question. Yes, we do have Stickerless Commingled Inventory enabled.

Sorry, I overlooked the fact that Amazon says a sticker is required. In that case, that means that Amazon wants to be able to uniquely identify the merchandise to a specific seller. From my experience, this happens when an item is highly counterfeited. It has nothing to do with you, it just means Amazon doesn’t allow commingling. So, even if you are set up for commingled/stickerless, you need to have a unique FNSKU. Applying an ASIN label is just like applying a UPC label, it does nothing to uniquely identify your units.

You may need to create a new SKU so that your FNSKU starts with an X.

I don’t believe this is an item that is counterfeited. It looks like there is more than one product listing for this specific product and it does seem a couple of listings have the same UPC code. So that is probably why. Why the listings aren’t merged is a completely separate question…

I just received a response from seller support. It looks like the issue is that this listing is setup for non-co-mingled. With non-co-mingled the FNSKU is different then the ASIN, while with co-mingled it is the same for both. I guess in the future we’ll just pull the product code from the FNSKU field. We always just pulled it from the ASIN, this is the first time we’ve ran into one that was non-co-mingled.

closed #6