user profile
Sign in
user profile

Price gouging OK...as long as it's Amazon

by Seller_JOpzIrKP74Tzi

Data shows Amazon raised prices during pandemic alongside sellers accused of price gouging

Company has removed 3,900 sellers for violations
Amazon not only earned commissions from those sellers accused of price gouging, it also more than doubled its own prices on essential goods as the COVID-19 pandemic grew between early January and mid-March.

At one point earlier this month, Amazon listed a four-pack of toilet paper for $72.

We contacted Amazon about Jungle Scout’s findings, but a spokesperson wouldn’t directly answer our question about whether Amazon engaged in price gouging.

She said in an emailed statement:

· Amazon is working with state Attorneys General and sharing information to help them hold price gougers accountable

Tags: Listings, Pricing
74 replies
74 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_WQj6Zg0jH6DBA
In reply to: Seller_JOpzIrKP74Tzi's post

This is about a pricing blip on Jungle Scout?

user profile
Seller_32OszqbFIYPSi

Yes I have seen many Amazon listings that are overpriced - particularly the “Amazon Global” listings (where Amazon buy from an existing Amazon Seller on another Amazon website to fulfil an order for their listing on Amazon USA for example)

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

I read the ABC News story dated March 27. It is titled:

Data shows Amazon raised prices during pandemic alongside sellers accused of price gouging

This week, Amazon kicked thousands of sellers off its site for price gouging and Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody announced she’s investigating dozens of sellers amid the growing coronavirus pandemic.

But the ABC Action News I-Team has learned that while those sellers were making big profits off customers’ fear and misery, Amazon substantially raised its own prices on products like hand sanitizer, protective masks and toilet paper.

user profile
Seller_CAF1pkOtyOWlo

Tons of Amazon sold products have gone up, because the third party sellers were removed, and Amazon had been matching those sellers prices, and with them gone Amazon went back to their default prices. Unless there’s an actual picture of $72 toilet paper, it’s not worth worrying about.

user profile
Seller_trTlvxNrCSzj8

Just wondering. what exactly is not considered price gouging? if my cost on a mask is 70 cents, i can;t possibly sell it for less than 70 cents can I?

user profile
Seller_zc50DVO3FE5fz

Check out my thread from 3 weeks ago:

user profile
Seller_kZUOCMBionnbv

We have received a lot of the pricing gouging emails from people thinking that becuase we are on Amazon we would source the product at the same costs as Amazon. We access the items from the same company’s but at a much higher cost and the fulfillment costs are twice the amount amazon receives. Offer what you can at a cost that is fair. This is what we do and we are getting killed on our feedback because people think everything is just as it was before. NO DELAYS or else… that box you sent was so big… But not a mention they got the item 14 hours after they ordered it. People emotions are heightened right now and we understand Hopefully we won’t be suspended for all this nonsense.

user profile
Seller_HXhUkpfpDnj0g
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_mhgPmhwLhlvcV

Alcohol swabs and essential stuff used to be $1 a box. Look at how much it cost now on amazon. Even Walmart doubled those essential stuff prices. People need alcohol swabs to clean up their phones and anything except clothe and shows each time they come back from outside grocery shopping or other things.

user profile
Seller_lCdvgJExPD9pk

I paid $29 for a 32 ounce bottle of alcohol on eBay that normally sells at Walmart for $2.48.

Just because Amazon lists a 4 pack of toilet paper at $72 doesn’t mean anybody is going to buy it, nor are they forced to buy it.

I’ve purposely been selling Kleenex and Puffs tissues on Amazon at the price they were trending at before the first corona virus case in December (you can look it up via Camelcamelcamel), but Amazon still removed my listings just yesterday because they said the prices were too high… even though they were priced normally.

At this point, they don’t even want to look at these necessary item listings on a case by case basis, they just want to cut everybody off from selling anything that could even remotely have a price inflation because of the corona virus, so that they can look like the do-gooders who stopped “price gouging.”

I can’t even get a 3M N95 mask on Amazon right now. I have to go to eBay, where a 2 pack is selling for $29.99…

Go to original post