user profile
Sign in
user profile

Prevent complaints by using seals on consumables

by News_Amazon

In a recent analysis of buyer complaints, we found that buyers perceive products as “used” when they arrive or are manufactured without seals.

If you sell products in the Consumables product group, we recommend that you go to Preventing Product Condition Issues to review the notes on missing and broken seals.

For suggestions on how to optimize your inventory and prevent complaints about product condition issues, watch our Preventing Product Condition Complaints video.

Tags: News and Announcements
107 replies
107 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_wyo87TbGVpAUV
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

How can we prevent boomerangs? Amazon FC employees frequently do not perform a thorough inspection of FBA returned items. We see many return issues where customer comments on the returns report indicate use and FC employees mark the items as sellable.

While we understand that it is not possible for these FC employees to be trained on every single item in the FC, the health and safety of Amazon customer’s is a top priority. Consumable and topical products should have additional checks put in place.

We would like the ability to select, on an MSKU basis, all items returned to be classified as unfulfillable. Better yet, why can’t we have the returned items from customers sent directly back to our facility? This would dramatically reduce Amazon’s workload and the overall cost associated with these returns. Lastly, that would put the onus on the sellers to self-certify returns and resale conditions.

user profile
Seller_1A4H9CAXRleCa

How about preventing FBA returns from automatically being returned to sellable inventory under ‘New’ condition?
Make them all ‘unfulfillable’ so that we can recall and decide for ourselves, or at least, automatically change the condition to ‘used’ so that the expectation is set lower for the customers.

We have a few complaints about ‘missing accessories’ and 1 complaint about old sold as new. ALL of them came from FBA returns that were just put in the ‘new’ inventory pool.

user profile
Seller_NOWtSwMOQhYPO

Regarding returns, I’d love if Amazon allows me to select SKUs that should never be put back into inventory.

Also, rather than asking sellers to use a random seal, Amazon should design a universal that can be used on any product. This way, FC workers can easily detect used items.

user profile
Seller_QcvpzxQRsy8Sx

Customer also perceive products as “used” when you (Amazon) take an opened unit, return it to inventory, and ship it to another customer.

It’s almost like a product that is missing its outer seal was opened or something.

Funny how that works.

user profile
Seller_LwUhSN3kUAXlg

However, this doesn’t seem to win us any 3PS SAFE-T claims. What’s up with that?

user profile
Seller_KPpzwlYW3cKvb

If the manufacturer doesn’t include a seal on a tube or cream, surely you aren’t suggesting we doctor the product by adding one? Because that’s kind of what it sounds like you are suggesting.

user profile
Seller_ez4zOmd2trXR9

We are the manufacturer of our products and have seen images of our products with the seal removed, product replaced with something else, and then regular tape over the opening and the lid put back on. The customer complained we were selling a used item as new and posted it on a product review (which sellers are no longer able to respond to), and yet I know for a fact the product does not go into a box to be shipped to Amazon in this condition. The only viable explanation is it was returned to Amazon in this condition and then resold to another customer. You can see the image under our vegetable glycerine product reviews.

user profile
Seller_xkfYoh7DWQKXH

I’ve received quite a few unsealed products in my time as an Amazon customer. I’m glad they’re at least saying something about it.

C’mon people if you are making your own product yourself or purchasing it from a manufacturer, make sure the product has a seal on it.

user profile
Seller_oljVSaeMvWjqE

So what exactly do they want us to do when the manufacturer doesnt apply a seal? Alter the product?

user profile
Seller_HSql8FX63J20h

Ok, “consumables”. Why aren’t cosmetics consumables? They are returnable for ANY reason currently, in any condition. If I tried to return a used lipstick to a department store they’d laugh me out of the store. “I changed my mind, I don’t like the color”. It’s trash to me now. That sounds consumable…

Go to original post