Policy update: Restrictions on fur product sales to California

Effective January 1, 2023, the California Fish and Game Code will be updated with a new law that prohibits the manufacture, sale, trade, or distribution of fur products in the state of California. As a result, we’ll restrict the sale of fur products to California from next year.

The law applies to all types of fur from whatever source, and defines fur as any animal skin or part with hair, fleece, or fur fibers attached, either in its raw or processed state. Exemptions include faux fur (fake fur), and fur products used for any activity expressly authorized by federal law.

For more information about the new law and list of all exempted products, go to California State Assembly Bill No. 44 for industry guidance, and Amazon’s policy on Animals & Animal-Related Products.

If any of your ASINs are affected, we’ll contact you 30 days ahead of January 1 via email. If you believe that your listings are incorrectly identified as products belonging to these categories, contact here.

Need your help about a California ban

For the love of cookies!

As the Seller formerly known and dearly loved as @Pepper_Thine_Angus would tell us.

Amazon please allow Sellers to simply (maybe with a big, friendly, one-click toggle on the Seller Central dashboard) restrict their products from being offered or stored in California. This California business of regulating & taxing the rest of the nation (without representation) is getting moronically, and stupidly out of hand.

(1) “Fur” means any animal skin or part thereof with hair, fleece, or fur fibers attached thereto, either in its raw or processed state.

It seems that wool is currently excluded from the ban (for now)

You do not kill the sheep to get the wool so it will not be banned.

Do you think that when we have a mutton roast that the sheep isn’t killed or that we throw away the wool?

I assure you that a percentage of wool comes from slaughtered sheep.

In our town, one of the farmers sets up a “Feed the Goats” area, he brings in half a dozen or more goats to wander around behind a fence, with shelter and plenty of water.

He then has quarter machines, like those that sell gum at the grocery store. He buys a bag of feed and puts it into the machine. People all summer long put in quarters and feed the goats. The farmer would have to feed them anyways, but this way people enjoy the farm experience.

At the end of the year, he makes enough money to vacation in a very nice tropical location here in the United States. The cycle of life, happens every year.

The Goats, they are slaughtered for meat.

My personal opinion as a vegetarian for the last 40 years, nothing wrong with that.

And the skins become gloves, wallets, belts, boots…

It’s a good way.

It’s a free country, but I think your making a mistake. Enjoy your rutabaga with @Dogtamer

Shearling products and lamb skin / leather products definitely come from the killing of sheep for food.
It seems that many things sourced from animals and produced as foods are acceptable, because it’s a completely sustainable use.

I am “one” as well, but admit to having carnivorous “meat mares” from time to time when sleeping. What a trip those can be! :sweat_smile:

I sense my leather shoes, wallet and work gloves will soon be on the list when they pass the next round of legislation.

On behalf of those of us that are still sane in California, I apologize to everyone. We can’t do much when the inmates are running the asylum and passing these restrictions.

Leather products are okay, but fur products are not? :thinking: Both are animal skins.

Let us turn off sales to California. Enough is enough already.

As I read it there must be animal skin or a part of an animal with hair, fleece or fibers attached. So a bag of fur, or wool with no skin or animal part to which is is attached is not affected. Neither is angora yarn or mohair yarn sold in a skein or bag as long as there is no animal skin or a part of an animal present. So what exactly does it cover? A leather coat with a fur collar or lining. A leather coat with a wool lining? But not a mohair or wool sweater.

Why does amazon allow sellers to display what appears to be a dog on a rotisserie.

That is not the only one listed, more from different sellers are listed.

That is NOT a pig. Those feet don’t appear to be of an animal with hooves.

big difference !!

Remember it next election day!

We sell some motorcycle parts that can’t be sold in California due to EPA regulations. If we could ‘de-select’ California as a valid shipping State (as we can on w-a-l-m-a-r-t dot com), we could bring quite a bit more business to Amazon. In talking with Amazon Reseller Customer Support about the issue, they barely know their names let alone who to formally ask for this feature at Amazon.

California represents about 9% of my total revenue but an estimated 40% of all my business related headaches. I’d gladly trade that revenue for fewer headaches. I wonder if the ‘Citizen Enforcers’ will be coming after residents of other states over this new law as they do with prop 65 enforcement.

I would love to just turn off sales to California. If enough sellers do, maybe CA residents will stop electing elitist throne squatters that govern from their ivory towers.

As a native - and nearly lifelong - Californian, I apologize for the silly things that my fellow Californians are doing. Some of us are trying to stop them, but we are outvoted.