Policy reminder: How to address A-to-z claims

Want to learn more about Amazon’s policies? Check the news section of Seller Central every Tuesday for policy reminders that help us ensure all sellers and customers have a great Amazon experience.

We want to remind you about the most effective strategy to prevent unnecessary A-to-z claims and expedite their resolution.

When customers are not satisfied with an order, they can contact you to explain their concerns. Before filing an A-to-z claim, Amazon asks customers to use our standard channels for resolution. If the item was received, we ask the customer to start by filing a return request. If the item was not received, the customer is directed to contact the seller through Buyer-Seller Messaging.

When a customer contacts you through one of these channels about an order, it’s important to respond to their request within 48 hours.

If a customer files a claim after contacting you, Amazon will review the information previously provided to the customer, in addition to their feedback, to resolve the claim. You no longer have to submit that information to Amazon directly. If you would like to provide Amazon with additional information to resolve an A-to-z claim that you were not comfortable sharing with the customer, you can add that information to claims that are in Under Review status by clicking Respond to Amazon on the Manage A-to-z Claims page in Seller Central.

As always, if you disagree with the outcome of an A-to-z claim, you can appeal within 30 days by clicking Appeal Decision in Seller Central on the Manage A-to-z Claims page.

Visit our About A-to-z guarantee claims Help page to learn more.

Advice on fighting A-Z Claim

And that’s the way it should work. :train2:

Should being the operative term

I haven’t found this to be the case. Most times, Amazon reps or customers open A to z claims without having any messaging about the issue at all.

However, much worse is that most customers don’t even receive the messaging from sellers, so it’s basically pointless, but we also can’t call customers having a problem to help explain and Amazon reps do not relay information from messages clearly not seen by customers to the customers, which would at least help some.

Moreover, the A to z claims are just granted without any real review of what is going on. I recently had one granted where the customer had signed for the package and admitted to receipt in messaging, but clearly the A to z team just didn’t care enough to actually look at the tracking information. A to z has just become a way for buyers to get free items.

I do agree with you,
Amazon reps does not know or care to read messages between us and customer or check order details,
promised delivery dates etc, When it is super easy to be found in the order details clearly.

If the item was not received and if the label was purchased from Amazon buy shipping it should not direct to contact seller as sellers are not the shipping couriers, All we do after that point to contact shipping couriers but since the label was purchased thru Amazon buy shipping we can’t even ask shipping refunds from couriers. Since it is covered by Amazon buy shipping it should automatically funded by Amazon

And I can’t agree more that when we send customer messages almost %95 of them don’t even see the messages at all.
We have many customers that they sent us a message and we replied them and even we replied to the customer message they sent us another message that why we still did not respond them when we clearly did.
Amazon messaging is a poor system, We know Amazon wants to minimize communication and more sales but we do sell customized products that in some orders we have to contact customers for approval and no response at all even we sent multiple emails and our ship by date can not be changed and since we do not receive any messages we have no choice but the cancel the order and once we cancel it we receive a message from customer about why their order is cancelled and we response them and they still can’t see the messages.
It will be amazing if our messages will go to customers phone number as a text which will be a great solution.

What I do not understand is that for the last few a-z claims filed against us, we have never even received notification that a claim was filed until we receive a claim decision. The whole process is very flawed and skewed, and we as sellers have NO VOICE! It is extremely frustrating and we would LOVE to talk to someone who can address our concerns over this. We do notice that you faithfully take our seller fees, so we would REALLY like to have someone contact us and explain how this is fair to us. If you look at our last case, we shipped through Amazon and the tracking shows it to be delivered, yet you STILL granted a claim to the customer. If I read policy correctly, that SHOULD NOT have happened. As stated, I would love to talk to someone about this, if anybody at Amazon cares about their sellers. I am available 8-5 EST and want to talk, I do not want the typical cookie cutter e-mail response. My question is if anyone at Amazon really cares?

Agreed. Hasn’t it been longstanding policy that claim of INR when shipping was purchased through Amazon, and the item tracking shows delivered, that the claimant must use the AtoZ process? There is no way I would refund or reship for this. Amazon is responsible for making the claim with the carrier as the shipping was on Amazon’s shipper number. As Amazon would be the one paid on any claim, it is also Amazon who would refund to the customer if it went in the buyer’s favor.

I keep a copy and paste text file stating Amazon’s shipping guarantee for sellers. Apparently the people handing the INR A to Z claims are unaware of this guarantee until I quote it to them and they then reverse their decision. It shouldn’t have to be this way.

Is this reminder the clarified version made from consolidating questions and answers?

I have found that Amazon reps do not read our messages, they open unnecessary and pre-mature A-to-Z claims. Wouldn’t be the first time pre-mature things have caused issues in my life… :roll_eyes:

@Hamilton_Tool_Supply What are the A2Zs for when this happens? If it is INR (Item Not Received) and you did not use Amazon’s Buy Shipping or get a signature…you lose. There is no reason to contact you the seller. Was it a return request that you did not authorized in 48 hrs? Again, no reason to contact you the seller, buyer gets a full refund and gets to keep the product.

I do not understand why INR cases where the seller uses buy shipping almost always results in having to appeal and remind Amazon that we used buy shipping and are covered in the event of an INR. That should be automatic, Amazon knows wether we bought shipping through them, so why the extra obstacle?

I thought the policy was that we are required to respond to messages within 24 hours… Am I missing something?

My opinion: It really should be one full business day… (allowing time for holidays and weekends.)

Also my opinion: If the store is in vacation mode - then we should have the option of also having an automated response indicating as such.

I have had the exact opposite experience. INRs are paid (Amazon Funded) without having to respond. I had only one that had to be appealed and that was in the early days of the Buy-Shipping/INR guarantee.

Nearly every single one I’ve had has required an appeal and me explaining that I used buy shipping…I wonder why yours works properly. It’s very frustrating. They do eventually get it right but it’s really frustrating that I have to explain I used buy shipping

Amazon reps DO NOT read messages. I can not tell you how many times I will tell a rep, Please stop sending me the auto response and just read the message. Next Amazon rep reply AUTO REPLY. Same exact working as previous 5 emails. Its enough to drive one insane.

But it doesn’t. That announcement is total BS, Amazon does not follow a single thing in that. Customer never contacts first, Amazon reviews NOTHING, just immediately sides with the buyer and makes it seller funded, even ignoring their own INR A-Z claims, then when you appeal they immediately reject it.

Sorry @red7255 if you sell on Amazon, they believe you are a business. We are a small operation. If we shut it all down for a vacation. Someone still handles returns and I handle responses to Amazon (365 days a year). Why?? Because Amazon never closes. It is just that simple.

@The_UniDragon do you respond to the buyer like this? You must basically tell them not to call Amazon. CSRs seem to never remember to look.

You may be eligible to request a refund under the A-to-z Guarantee if “You have not received your package and three days have passed since the maximum estimated delivery date or the tracking shows a delivery confirmation, whichever is sooner. Note: Amazon also require you to wait 48 hours after contacting the seller before you are eligible to request a refund.”

Requesting an A-to-z Guarantee Refund

To request a refund on an eligible order:

1. Go to Your Orders .
  2. Locate your order in the list and click Problem with order.
  3. Select “Package didn’t arrive” from the list.
  4. Select Request refund.
  5. Enter your comments in the text box.
  6. Select Submit

Note: Refund requests can take up to one week to investigate. Amazon will notify you of their decision via the email address associated with your account. To view the status of your request, locate your order in the list on the Your Orders page and select Problem with order.

To receive the maximum refund allowed you need to select “Package didn’t arrive”

Would you mind if I copied that to a notepad to use for future INR contacts? I do reply to each contact, but that looks very well written and professional.