Opa Locka Florida USPS sorting center, A Black hole for packages?

Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with this center?

I have had quite a few packages go missing there this month, I opened cases for all of them and was informed they are in the hands of the postal inspectors.

Also just a heads up for other sellers.

I have had bad experiences with Opa Locka sorting center in past, but nothing recent.

I have missing package issues in my own area (East coast, Central Florida). Every time I ship orders on Saturday, one goes missing and tracking shows only “a label was printed in city/state/zip”. I only recognized it as a pattern a few days ago, but shipped 5 orders Saturday anyway - hoping for the best. Of course the best was not in the cards - 4 delivered or out for delivery today and 1 missing in action with the label printed statement in tracking.

Anyway, the USPS does much good - for 4 packages to already be at their destination and out for delivery they must be doing something right. On the other hand, I have jumped through hoops attempting to even get this Saturday problem investigated. The packages show-up in Miami or Jax 10-14 days later and then move to their destination. But of course I have had to ship new orders before the original orders show-up. I cannot ship on Saturdays anymore. Sad, but I went back several months and all of my missing package issues involve shipping on Saturday.

FYI - Opa Locka is in a poor area of NW Miami-Dade. I lived there for some time in past.

Are your packages in USPS Priority Mail boxes or plain brown/generic boxes?

I used to have a problem with Priority Mail packages going via the slow boat route till a post master let me in on a secret. Many packages are hand sorted. PtyMail boxes are easy to see with all the red edges. But generic’s are NOT! They told me to put the pty mail stickers (they are free) on each corner. Problem disappeared! It’s the red that they are looking for.

HTH,
Bob

No, nothing to do with my packages… FC Package in a poly bag and thermal labels printed with Endicia. The USPS has never lost my PM packages as I only use their envelopes, boxes or padded mailers when I ship Priority. My issue is somehow related to something different that happens on Saturday. Weird. :wink:

Yes, same here, we are in the Florida Keys so all of our packages seem to be routed to Opa Locka soft facility

LOT OF THEM get blackholed there

You are not alone

just google
opa locka sort facility
and the horror stories will emerge

I found a little trick that might help. When I see a stuck package, I go to the USPS site, tracked it and on the tracking results screen, on the right hand side, there is a place that says AVAILABLE ACTIONS
this is where you can enter your email to get notified when that package moves- check any future updates
I put my email address there and so far most of the packages I did this with, magically start to move… go figure…

Actually I contacted the postmaster general on Monday.

Magically all the packages reappeared as arrived (after being scanned as departed) at 11pm yesterday. They are now all at their respective post offices.

They are all late of course but at least they were found.

I’m having an issue right now! My package has been there for three days! I can’t get any answers!

I found a little trick that might help. When I see a stuck package, I go to the USPS site, tracked it and on the tracking results screen, on the right hand side, there is a place that says AVAILABLE ACTIONS
this is where you can enter your email to get notified when that package moves- check any future updates
I put my email address there and so far most of the packages I did this with, magically start to move… go figure…

Keyslife - I just started doing the same thing and it works. We use only USPS Priority Mail and use only their boxes. In addition, twice now we have filed a claim on line when we saw stuck packages- and magically they become unstock and get delivered once we have initiated the claims process.

I have this issue all the time. Worse yet one package is stuck there for 11 days so far. Customer is getting inpatient, so I had to ship out a replacement via Priority. Guess what happens? It’s stuck too, at the same place Opa Locka. Now 2 packages are shipped and customer wants her money back because she doesn’t want to wait anymore. I don’t blame her, but what options do I have.

I too have the same problem shipping first class non machineable packages. I drop off in Pembroke Pines and some times they go to Opa Locka and don’t move, get lost. Customer gets impatient thinks I never shipped it so I refund it and of course it shows up as delievered eventually.

Print up several sheets with the tracking numbers and the times showing items taking forever and/or getting “lost.”

Send a letter of complaint with those sheets as example to the US Postmaster General, explain to her that your Post master cannot help you anymore,

Megan J. Brennan
Postmaster General and Chief Executive Officer
United States Postal Service
475 L’Enfant Plaza SW
Washington DC 20260-0010.

This situation does rate a online complaint to the USPS OIG.

Have the information handy and contact the USPS OIG and file a complaint online:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline

My package was supposed to be delivered April 2nd. But when it got to Opa Locka, there it stayed and there it be…

Hi All, So this Opa Locka thing is not just me. I have had 5 go there in the last month. 1st Class and Prio both. Why is there a sorting center way down there, anyway ??

Anyway, now I have an order coming in that is stuck in Opa Locka. I had call and visited local post office. I know the superviser and got no answer. I called OPa Locka and they hung up on me.

That shipping on Saturday is interesting. I am going to check my receipts. I sure look for a fix, here. I ship many orders under 13oz, so USPS is the only game in town.

“Opa Locka” is Floridian for “Bell Gardens.”

closed #15