user profile
Sign in
user profile

Oh thank you Amazon for giving out my personal info

by Seller_ujScHTwvcsrwf

Just got this from Amazon…anyone else?

Under a new Rhode Island state law, Amazon is required to disclose to the Rhode Island tax authority the following information about sellers who made sales to Rhode Island customers in 2017:
• Seller contact information (name and address).

To comply with this obligation, we plan to provide your information to the Rhode Island Department of Revenue by February 15, 2018.

Because each seller’s business and tax needs are unique, we encourage you to consult with a tax advisor to answer any questions you may have. You also may refer to the following seller resources:
• Solution Provider Network: a directory with information about several experienced tax advisors.
• Tax calculation services (sign-in required): optional services for calculating U.S. sales and use taxes.
Thank you for selling on Amazon.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Services team

Tags: Address, Taxes
123 replies
123 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_8RwEAl4cIWY0d
In reply to: Seller_ujScHTwvcsrwf's post

yep, got it too.

user profile
Seller_NR9nsU2BEtSrh

So if I fulfilled an order shipped from Indiana and mailed it to a Rhode Island customer, RI needs my information why???

user profile
Seller_t5ZYzX2Vavwdf

Does that mean that i will have to pay the tax for RI? Amazon did not collect taxes for that state at all. Is there a way for me to view all orders shipped to RI?

user profile
Seller_dkUaGYZQRrTV3

It’s going to be another fishing expedition. I plan to throw whatever they send right in the trash.

user profile
Seller_cCzOKNQAUJTHn

If you do not have Nexus there is no responsibility to collect taxes. But does this mean they are going to attempt to change this and are getting the information before the supreme court rules on the below case?

Could be big changes for a lot of businesses out there.

Moderator Edit (Jake@SellerSupport): External URL Removed.

user profile
Seller_UhsJ9IDPN0OoQ

Yup. We got one also. What "new 2017 RI tax law? We are merchant fulfilled and all our inventory is in Florida.

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

Another plus to being incorporated as your corporate info gets passed along, not your home address, etc.

user profile
Seller_zc50DVO3FE5fz

This thread has some additional, more detailed info:

user profile
Seller_uKYUQR1wT7FSF

Out of about $79,000 in sales on AZ last year, I had $202.90 go to RI. On the other venue, out of $114,000 I had $16 go to RI.

If Rhode Island is losing revenue due to online sales, I’m not that much of it.

user profile
Seller_h8RAJg7XJx9fN

Where in Amazon TOS do sellers agree to having their private information shared with a third party not associated with Amazon? This is a breach of privacy. They want to make it going forward, we should have the ability to opt out. Just like the states that Amazon taxes automatically, if RI wants Tax from little guys outside of their state, they are going to have to approach it properly Not like a ski mask in a gas station.

Go to original post