Not allowed to cancel SFP orders at customer's request?

Yes, there IS a glitch! I have reached out to SS and SFP support 3 times this week. SS responded with incorrect information (they both said I would not see any changes until I earn the badge) not true, and SFP support has not responded at all.

With the recent slow dispatch of FBA items I have had a huge uptick in SFP sales, 30+ this month. Only 1 has registered on my scorecard.

I have either already earned my badge, or I am a couple of orders away. I have no idea, since my sales have not been registering on the trial score card for some time.

I only realized this last week when I checked in to see if I had earned my badge. Much to my horror I noted that my SFP trial sales have not been registering for some time.

It’s worse than that…it’s actually not a glitch. It’s spelled out clear as day in the SFP rules:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/202072550

“A customer can cancel an order up to 30 minutes after placing it with no action required from you. If a customer cancels an order after 30 minutes, direct them to contact Customer Service instead of canceling the order yourself. By doing so, you avoid a negative impact on your cancellation rate.”

I was reinstated last night after being suspended for 9 days. Here was the plan of action that it took to get my privileges back:

1.) Root cause of the suspension: When an Amazon customer messaged me through Amazon’s messaging system requesting that their order be cancelled, I would cancel it myself. This resulted in my cancellation rate rising above the .5% allowed by Amazon.

2.) Steps I am taking to fix the problem: As you have instructed in your email above, I will no longer cancel a customer’s order at their request. Instead, I will direct them to Amazon’s Customer Service who can do it for them.

3.) Measures I am putting in place to avoid the re-occurrence of this problem: My employees will be instructed to direct any Amazon customer requesting a cancellation to Amazon’s Customer Service.

Thank you for sharing your POA. I’m sure you won’t be the only and I’m glad to hear that you were reinstated. The problem now is customer service can not cancel an order. They really never have been able to cancel third party sellers orders. I thought maybe something changed but three times now I’ve sent customers to customer service only to receive a cancellation request from customer service. Thing is I still have to process the cancellation request as “buyer requested “.

This is the way it was always supposed to work. You only send the buyer to customer support when the requested a cancellation using the wrong email header. That way customer support can send you the correct one.

Glitch is the only thing that makes sense…

Did the 5 customer cancellation requests you received come through on Amazon emails “Order cancellation request from Amazon customer…” or did they come through on some other email subject title within the Amazon system?

They came through the Amazon messaging system under the headline “cancellation request.” I’ve cancelled hundreds of SFP orders like this through the years with no issues. I sent screenshots of all 5 buyer requests in my appeal. SFP Performance responded with a link to the policy that states we are not to cancel orders and should direct customers to Amazon customer service instead. I’m not sure when they implemented this but it is absolutely senseless

I know you have asked this of @J_H_Discount_Sales but since there has been a bunch of us discussing this across several forum threads, I can answer this question as we have been dealing with the same glitch

YES, customers sent proper cancellation through Amazon messaging with the subject
“Order cancellation request from Amazon customer…”
so J_H_Discount and many other sellers processed the cancellation and subsequently got dinged on SFP eligibility metrics. My metrics were over 2% on SFP cancel rate on one day. I did not get suspended but the metrics were over 0.5% on SFP cancel rate for almost a week.

Amazon stated they are pausing suspensions on the cancellation rate metrics but unfortunately, they were not explicit enough to state if it includes SFP sellers

I am concerned because:

1. Amazon stated they Paused suspensions on MARCH 20
  2. @J_H_Discount_Sales was apparently suspended after MARCH 20th ( I assume they were suspended on about April 2nd !!! )
  1. Judging from this, I do not feel safe assuming that SFP would be safe from suspensions till I hear some assurances direct from Amazon.

Ok, thanks. The last cancellation request that we received from a customer in the right format while doing SFP was 3/23. That went through fine but it is not current. It doesn’t make sense that Amazon would switch from a smoothly functioning automated system to one that creates more work for them at a time like this. I guess I will just try the old system for the next one we receive and see how it turns out and then deal with any consequences since we have room in the metrics to work with.

I cancelled an order as well and noticed that it shows up as a defect, even though I have received an official cancellation request. I have also e-mailed SFP Performance Team regarding this issue, but received a reply back that we direct “him to contact Customer Service instead of canceling the order yourself. By doing so, you avoid a negative impact on your cancellation rate.”

I think this is one of the more idiotic policies that Amazon has instituted. This just adds more work for the customers and it is not a customer-centric policy at all. Moreover, I feel that some customers will simply lash out at the seller instead, assuming most customers would even read the e-mail in the first place.

Exactly. And what do we do when the customer doesn’t respond to our request to reach out to Amazon directly? Do we ship the item? Cancel it? I’ve been selling on Amazon for a long time and this is by far the most poorly thought out policy that I’ve ever seen.

I had two yesterday that I directed to customer support. Both times customer support send a cancellation request to me just as if the buyer did and one even said in the message that customer support CAN NOT cancel third party seller orders! So guess who had two pissed off customers and two canceled orders… yep this guy.

I feel like the SFP Perfomance team is on lockdown somewhere and we are stuck with other people that normally do other jobs filling in who have no clue what is going on…

I have sent an e-mail to Jeff@Amazon.com. I urge you all to do the same.

I have not experienced this. I did get dinged for one cancellation (internal bug caused cancellation to be completed the day after ship by date). It was an official cancellation (Order cancellation request from Amazon customer…) and I contacted Amazon in the hopes they would annotate.

First response I received from SS confused our response to the customer with the cancellation request the customer sent. They stated title of message wasn’t correct format (We have Cancelled your Order =/= Order cancellation request from Amazon customer…). FACE PALM…Couldn’t believe they could confuse a message from us with the official cancellation request that they buyer did send.

After follow up the second response I received outlined the procedure that is being discussed on this thread. I thought it was the usual inaccurate response from SS and reviewed a bunch of cancellation requests. We have had plenty of SFP cancellation requests in March and April most of which we did cancel and none of which aside from the one (late cancel) above are counting against us. So my metrics say this isn’t happening but the wording on their policies which I also found suggests it should which led me here.

Not sure what to say. I’d suggest reviewing when/how your cancellations were made.

In the past I have seen cancellations count against us despite receiving official cancellation requests and cancelling for “buyer cancellation” or so I thought but the description of 5 in a row is scary.

But again I have just reviewed our actual SFP cancellations from March and April and again only the late cancellation is impacting our metrics.

We’re stuck in this mire now too. I don’t think we’ll be suspended. I’ve canceled tons of SFP orders in the past when they requested a cancellation, with no issue. Now they are starting to count against us occasionally. This seems to be a change, or a glitch. When I messaged customer support, they said that we should direct the customer to contact them after 30 minutes. It’s happening on non prime orders too.

I cancelled 2 sfp orders this weekend that did not affect my metrics.

Whatever is happening to cause these dings seems like some sort of glitch that is not site wide.

Gotta be honest, this is news to me too! Glad I read it here first. Doesn’t really make any sense. I’ll just direct all SFP customers to contact Amazon CS for order cancellations. You can’t really implement this as a reasonable procedure for the rank and file order management person. Is it 30 minutes from the time they placed the order to the time they sent the request or the time you get round to reading the email and processing the cancellation?

It’s the 30 Minutes the item is in pending.
So having the buyer ask customer service cancel it after that does nothing because amazon customer service literally has no way to cancel an order after the 30 pending minutes.
They will just redirect the buyer back to you.

The system has become somewhat broken recently for some sellers…

I cancelled 2 orders this weekend and nothing happend to my metrics

I don’t think the problem is site wide and seems to be affecting only certain sellers accounts.

I cancelled orders for years when sellers requested it and never had a problem. Once day I woke up and was suspended. When I appealed, Amazon sent me a link to their policy which states that we aren’t allowed to cancel orders even when the buyer requests it; we are to send them to Amazon’s customer service. I’m still shocked that this is real.

It doesn’t make any sense because there is no way amazon customer service can remove an order from your list of orders needing to be shipped. It’s simply not possible.

It also doesn’t make any sense that this is not affecting my account unless this is a glitch only affecting some sellers accounts
Or
This is a change that has not affected all sellers accounts yet.

Having this issue as well. It’s causing me to go mad

After contacting SFP-Performance and receiving the first “you must send the customer to customer service” email I replied with screenshots showing that customer service can not cancel an order… I received this non-answer reply.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your efforts to maintain the Seller Fulfilled Prime performance requirements. We are actively working on improving the process to provide the best customer experience. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding of this matter. This information will be taken into consideration in future reviews of your account.

I have had a bit that I have canceled that haven’t dinged us so maybe it is just an account glitch…Either way I would recommend reaching out to SFP-Performance.