user profile
Sign in
user profile

New lithium battery requirement for FBA sellers

by News_Amazon

Effective January 1, 2020, battery manufacturers and distributors must provide a lithium battery test summary, per a United Nations standard known as UN 38.3. This new global requirement applies to lithium batteries and products containing lithium batteries.

When selling on FBA, you are responsible for obtaining this test summary for any ASIN that you sell. Failure to provide this summary may prevent you from selling the product on Amazon. In addition, any units of this ASIN in our fulfillment centers may be disposed of at your expense.

Upload the test summary at Upload required lithium battery test summary, which also provides further information.

Tags: News and Announcements
123 replies
123 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_hoOBaJWt5XW2w
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

I hope this is only for FBA, as the news headline suggests. The linked page can be interpreted that this will be applied to every ASIN in order for it to be available on Amazon.com.

It can be very hard for us to trace back existing items to the suppliers, which may need to trace back to manufacturers, & Factories for this.

user profile
Seller_8EcikND8l4zsB

I look forward to our listings being suspended because we didn’t upload test summaries for the batteries our pesticides don’t have.

user profile
Seller_7qEHcWN6LCEbf

Does MSDS “Material Safety Data Sheet” documents enough which mentions that its UN 38.3 compliant ?

user profile
Seller_zflMolnVo8Ayk

We have already been uploading MSDSs to Amazon for our batteries for the last few years. I have no idea why they are requesting the actual inspection report - I just spoke to our manufacturer and they consider that proprietary confidential information. Not sure why Amazon suddenly requires this…

user profile
Seller_6w24b63xpNLLU

Does it mean we need to sell out or remove all items with lithium batteries in 6 weeks if we cannot provide test summary on time?
Is the new rule applicable for any lithium battery including tiny button batteries?

user profile
Seller_5QhudTZSlZql4

More ridiculous foggy directives that no one understands. Confusion reigns perennially on Amazon. I’ve received numerous notifications on various deadlines pertaining to lithium batteries, none of which seem to have been carried out. There should be a differentiation between major brand name products and no-name private label products.

user profile
Seller_WBZiTvybmkmrO

Amazon has removed our merchant fulfilled listing for CR123A primary non-rechargeable lithium batteries, indicating they are in conflict with Amazon policies. The notification from Amazon indicates that our product matches the criteria for prohibited items (cylindrical Lithium Ion Battery cells). Unfortunately it appears that the folks in charge of these policies do not have the proper knowledge of batteries to distinguish between different battery types (primary, secondary, rechargeable, lithium ion, etc). Amazon defines lithium batteries “as an electromechanical unit with high energy density, commonly used in consumer electronics and other items”. Batteries are “electrochemical” systems, not electromechanical. We disagree with the reasoning behind removing our listing. A warning from Amazon before removal would have enabled us to investigate and properly address the situation, but none was given.

user profile
Seller_VZX0iyYi4fFaL

The new requirements on batteries will affect 3P as well. I have already had an ASIN removed for having a class battery on the new removal list taking down.

The email from amazon I received stated the following are no longer allowed to be sold on amazon.
Sizes for standalone cylindrical cells - 14500, 16340, 18650, 20700, 21700, and 26650

The size 16340 is also the size associated with the CR123 battery used in cameras and a lot of tactical gear like flashlights

user profile
Seller_HGNCgmG14eLKq

To Bad Amazon does not understand the Difference between Lithium , NIMH / Alkaline and NIZM.

user profile
Seller_25H8KmR7CXE2g

Thank you for providing an exemption sheet for battery and battery-powered product. However, after review, it results that the document you uploaded for ASIN xxxxxxxxxxxis otherwise conflicting, and cannot be used for classification. <=== This is for an essential oil.

I don’t know how I’m going to provide a battery test for an oil product.

Go to original post