user profile
Sign in
user profile

Need some advice on a customer complaint

by Seller_ifAu2Rl3QHO7P

Hey all, I have what would seem to be a simple (merchant fulfilled) customer service issue - that just won’t go away.

The product in questions title was incorrect - another vendor successfully made a change to the title making it in accurate. Because we rarely sell the product - we missed that it had changed. The product is a significant seller in its category, and the buy box is 99.99% Prime (the sale happened over the holiday’s when everyone was on vacation mode - so we had hay for a few days with the buy box).

I had seller support successful change the title back (after the customer complaint):

She purchased title: “My special product, 454g”
Proper title: “My special product, Package of 20”

The actual weight is NOT 454 grams.

So… the customer complained about the weight of the product being almost half what was advertised (in the title). She is correct… it is almost half.

My proposed resolution has been simply to return the product, at our expense for a full refund (as the “actual” product she thinks she purchased is not available… the product is not available in 454g).

However, the customer just won’t let up… message after message, now emailing us directly (which we are ignoring) and of course negative feedback.

Now she’s contact AMZ and the are messaging on her behalf (below is the latest):

Reason: Item does not meet customer expectations
Details: The item has arrived, but it was not as expected. When the customer ordered her item it clearly states that the items are 454 grams. When she received the item it was only 240 grams. The customer paid for 454 grams and would like to receive the amount she paid for. She does not want to return the item for a refund instead she wants to be sent the remaining amount that she is missing. The customer is not at fault and should not be punished for this error. Please research the issue and contact the customer.

Here is my guess… this customer purchases this product all the item (it’s a commodity) and complains on every order. And because its Prime - they send her a new one.

Am I on glue here? Is a full refund upon return not an acceptable solution?

Thanks in advance…

Tags: Customer, Refunds
76 replies
76 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_AU5icLgDtemHU
In reply to: Seller_ifAu2Rl3QHO7P's post

Its a question of can you handle the negative feedback. If you issued a prepaid return label and stated she could return the item for a full refund the AtoZ claim will be denied. She can still leave negative feedback.

I dont know the cost and normally wouldn’t recommend sending out more. In this case since the listing was incorrect when the item was purchased, it may be best just to send the missing amount and be done with it.

user profile
Seller_jglZowc8rO988

For me- it would depend on the cost of the item.
I would be inclined to refund and let them have what they got for free and move on since the mistake was not theirs.

But, if that is not acceptable to you because of the price and you are willing to accept the neg. feedback and an a to z which would be found against you if thats what it took to get it back and refunded after a claim- then that is what it is.

If they send this commodity back- will it be re-saleable?

That would be something to consider if you have to go through the trouble of a to z and neg. feedback.

If we are not talking about something over $100 I would just refund and tell them its free for your mistake…Everyone has a different price point though…if you need the item back…as long as you provided a label already- you should not lose your item in a to z.

I hope this same person did not buy ALL your stock when the item was mis-titled

user profile
Seller_IsYlAENwmGGcM

Either send her an additional item (sourced from another seller) or refund her half of what she paid. Though not your fault the listing changed, it definitely is not the customer’s fault. Make it right and apologize for the inconvenience.

user profile
Seller_BwX42J7Qzgy7i

“My proposed resolution has been simply to return the product, at our expense for a full refund (as the “actual” product she thinks she purchased is not available… the product is not available in 454g).”

Of course the return would be at your expense, it was your mistake (not the customers). Your customer ordered an item that they obviously wanted, you sent them half of what they were expecting. They are asking for the other half of what they ordered. Instead of biting the bullet and doing the right thing, you ask them to send back something that they want to keep. And you are appalled they are not happy with your offer of a full refund upon return? If they wanted a full refund for a return, they wouldn’t of ordered the item in the first place… It is so frustrating seeing sellers who act like offering a full refund for a return is some sort of great thing for the customer, NOT!!!

You should apologize for your mistake and send the customer what the listing showed they were to receive.

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

Refund in full due to Seller mistake and then instruct the Buyer on re-ordering the (accurately described) item.

You could also offer a free shipping upgrade on the re-order as a customer courtesy.

Stop dealing with the return, and stop dealing with Amazon Customer Support.

user profile
Seller_mhUbCp81REJe8

The best thing to be the winner is to apologize, thank them for noticing a mistake, assure them you will fix it, issue 50% back and offer future 15% OFF for her next purchase. She may never use it but you offered something to make her feel better, valuable… Never ignore them, as it always results in negative feedback and review…Sometimes you have to loose to be the winner. Being seller is a taught market to be in…good luck!
Tatiana

user profile
Seller_GfRE38VLNeuyj

The price is still a factor here. If you don’t mind taking the chance of having to give a full refund through a claim, I’d suggest a 60% or so refund from the price, maybe throw in the shipping cost.

Otherwise, they already left the negative, so stick with the apology and refund.

user profile
Seller_6XSiPqg4VTwhh

A customer gave me an a to z because her 1 hand sanitizer 30 mg was only 1 and not 30. I offered to refund her full $5.25 including shipping, but she did an a to z instead. Amazon funded the a to z. She proceeded to give me a 1 feedback because I had an inaccurate website description. Now, I can’t sell that item any longer because I am blocked. The 1 feedback is mine because I failed to correct the website error.

user profile
Seller_ifAu2Rl3QHO7P

Thank you all for your advice - even the snarky ones.

I have refunded the customer 50% of their purchase AND supplied a return shipping label.

Their choice, keep it (at 50% off) or return it…

user profile
Seller_i8zT3d12aXWex

Why didn’t you just refund and move on… Could have saved you a lot of time, effort and potentially a negative feedback.

Go to original post