user profile
Sign in
user profile

More information about customer returns

by News_Amazon

Customers are now required to submit a comment when requesting returns with the reason "inaccurate website description" on desktop. You can use these comments to proactively diagnose and address the drivers of customer dissatisfaction and returns, and increase your profitability.

View return comments on the Voice of the Customer page in Seller Central

Tags: News and Announcements
135 replies
135 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_OBdaXqVdfOPb7
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Why only on desktop? Given that some reports indicate that upwards of 40% of all online purchases are done via mobile devices.

user profile
Seller_4DIUKsw7OUL6z

Wish this could come with the disclaimer that buyer will not be refunded shipping without a valid explanation. When the comment is “This isn’t what I expected” (with no additional info) it could be the fault of an inaccurate website description, or it could be the fault of inaccurate customer expectations. “This isn’t what I expected - the item was listed as having feature X and it did not”, if true, is one thing. “This isn’t what I expected - I wanted this frying pan to be bluetooth compatible” is another.

user profile
Seller_WCP0ZgFglfpod

Why only on "“inaccurate website description” ?

It should be mandatory on all reasons as we (and many others polled on seller forums) find that the majority of returns are outright abuse or at least in some part as it relates to the return reason.

Perhaps a “simple” process of reporting return abuse? Supposedly buyers are monitored however talk to enough sellers and it becomes apparent that return abuse is one of the biggest issues facing them.

Sure the velocity on Amazon is not to compare but so is the percentage of return abuse

user profile
Seller_qkZYhk8V6B2do

Not sure this will help. Customer’s will just make something up. Most of the time they choose this option because it is one of the options available that they don’t have to pay return freight. Most buyers know the game by now.

user profile
Seller_jaRrxKZBrn9lQ

Now my shipping shop guy - who literally has instructions printed up telling people to select ‘Not as Described’ in order to get “free” return shipping - will have to modify his instructions. (Yes, I’ve explained to him that this isn’t cool).

user profile
Seller_hidWuPpZSBcZa

This is a great move, but like others are saying, why only on desktop? Why only with “Inaccurate Website Description?” Even if you try to return stuff at a Walmart store, they always ask… “Why”. Knowing why a return is occurring can help sellers list products more accurately, fix other errors in fulfillment, and can weed out false or malicious returns more easily.

user profile
Seller_5jJDWQuCWOZGr

What about buyer abuse? If Customer wants to return he/she can just state inaccurate description and return the product? Nothing for sellers?

user profile
Seller_98nEc9gRpg6bY

There needs to be a choice for “I did not read the description at all because Im a fool”

user profile
Seller_I6tc2f2q8DWCA

When are we going to get an option to replace without return? Often if we have legitimately sent the wrong item, we will just let the customer keep the item and send them a new one. They are thrilled and we don’t get dinged with return postage and an automated refund when we can fix it without refunding.

user profile
Seller_uPXKEZAdYjLr8

I am happy to hear this as it is way overdue. But this should be required no matter what method the return is requested on.

I am not so concerned with them making things up on this as many many times customers write their opinion of why they don’t like an item when such expectation is not a feature of the item or the color is exactly the color name of the item although it may not be the shade they wish matches their whatever. Many times they write the truth although the truth is not really a match to the reason they choose.

Not as expected should be another that needs an explanation, if it is not to be used or do something the buyer wants, this could be added to a description or reworded as to avoid confusion.

Damage is another that should be exactly specified. So many times something says damage but I cannot find damage and you can’t communicate so you are left to think they are lying if you do not know what damage they are talking about.

Another issue is getting back stuff you do not sell and you do not have in stock or carry. We should be able to report buyers who do this stuff. This is unacceptable, they are saying they got the wrong thing, I even have one sending me photos of it, I don’t have that item, I could not have sent that item. That they take a photo as “proof” of something I never sent but that they intend to return on my dime, that I do not have any of is not “proof” of anything but that they are a professional scammer.

It is a step in the right direction but much more is needed.

Go to original post