MEDIA MAIL not an option

I am being given USPS First Class as a mailing option but not USPS Media Mail for a book, because supposedly the book won’t arrive on time.

The book was ordered with Standard Shipping at 7 p.m. yesterday. I want to ship it within 24 hours. I checked the mailing address with USPS, and it is a valid address to which they ship.

Why the change? What is going on? I’m not looking forward to daily trips to my local post office.

Is the problem unique to me? Could it be because I had a book lost by USPS recently and that now I am deemed unreliable??

You can always get a label from USPS.com and enter the tracking manually into Amazon.

I didn’t realize that USPS Media Mail was sold online.

I don’t know either, but not sure why it wouldn’t be. I guess there is one way to find out.

They do not appear to offer USPS Media Mail online. It’s off to the post office I go.

I assume that they do not offer it, because they fear that the low rates would be abused by folks mailing things that do not qualify as media.

Not sure if this is still true - but I found…

Accessing Media Mail Labels

You can access and print USPS Media Mail labels from a home or office prior to shipment. You will need a postal scale with which to weigh your package first. Once the media is packed up and weighed, you will have to go through PayPal to print the label since USPS does not provide this service

Thanks, Sundance. You’re the bomb!

PirateShip is also a popular option

The_Book_Hour

You might want to think about extending your handLing - length time, to accommodate the interesting disruptions in the USPS package delivery process…

Amazon feels that the package will not get there in time, to Delight the customer , so they are not showing you Media Mail… only first-class depending on weight, possibly Priority Mail…

Hopefully you’re able to get acceptance scans on your outgoing book packages from your carrier - if they are doing pick up… many carriers are not required to pick up Media Mail unless you have at least one first class piece of postage accompanying it… depends on what sort of a route – your relationship with the postal carrier servicing your place…

For that lost package I would open up a investigation through USPS , they are very good at finding things, things are rarely lost, just misplaced… everyone I’ve done they’ve managed to find and deliver within a couple of days…

You can set up an account easily online with pirate ship… they have excellent customer support , these interesting chat functions, to help you in live time… unlike a lot of internet-based companies… they also keep track of your orders, you can look at past purchases and it’ll tell you what the status is it’s been delivered…

You’ll need to cut & paste the tracking number into Amazon system, unfortunately it does not mesh well with Amazon, with importing orders, + Furnishing tracking numbers to a platform… wonderful job elsewhere… e-commerce…wise… just not Amazon…

Prints very nice good labels - excellent DPI size of type very readable…

Just set up an account with a valid credit card , it will show the charge you are paying… easy to pull out, when you were doing business expenses…

Everybody should have a plan P for shipping…

I did as you suggested, and the package was found by USPS.

That’s a good idea about changing my handling time. Do you know if there is a global way to do that for my thousands of listings, which are now set for TWO DAYS?

The_Book_Hour

Not if you have an individual account, if you had professional account , you could probably do it en-masse…

Individual account there’s probably something you’d like to clean up - tweak with a description anyways - maybe put a compelling picture in if it’s expensive…

Or the catalog changed it to something completely different…

If you sell any large books those are good for at least 10 days… of handling…

The thing is do you want your eCommerce business to run your life or do you want to run your business…

Occasionally - your life will get in the way,it might be difficult to get something out within 2 days handling… unleashing all kinds of bad mojo you don’t want…

I basically ship every other day, on a multitude of venues, if there isn’t anything going out except an AMZ book order , I don’t have to mail, it waits… unless I’m flooded , I try to make three postal runs a week… FedEx, UPS , I can get an acceptance email from the local Big - Target store - two blocks away… proof it was dropped off… I also I’m probably the sole person doing errands these days, which can be done on the way to a postal - run depending on which direction I go…

I live in a large Town Los Angeles we have exemplary post offices, all of my media mail gets handled very efficiently… especially if bought with counter postage, USPS does have metrics, they do – take care of their own packages… they franked…

I also need an acceptance scan, for most other venues…to cover myself…

I use a variety of postage providers depending on how I do bookkeeping for the platform… Fiscally each platform needs to stand on its own profit-wise…

If you haven’t already since you have to go into the listings, might be a good time for some diversification , maybe some price updating, bundling sets of common author elsewhere…

Most of us want to sell books, for the most profit we can make, not just Warehouse them… or fall in love with your inventory… can be treacherous for things other than books…

Sometimes with catalogs from particular venues your books aren’t really very visible , you just need the right person to set eyes on it… that has a valid form of payment…

That’s what diversification does for you…

Good luck

What is frustrating is that what I’ve been doing has worked for my customers and for me for over 10 years, bringing me 100% positive ratings. Now a change that cramps my style.

The_Book_Hour

Selling on Amazon, can be quite challenging… the only thing - I sell here are weird interesting fairly obscure books… anything else may be a race to the bottom… price wise, with mega sellers involved… or dropshipperz scraping…

They have such a rigid catalog structure - there are older editions, with different covers, possibly a different publisher… not to be found in the catalog , they do sell elsewhere, someone lost their book , I have the exact book available… I get those little notes elsewhere all the time, along with an order… other venues…

Unless it’s a pristine first edition , most people here or not looking for quality… many - Amazon buyers, are not very educated, in buying books…

I don’t even get enquiries from book stores these days they all shut down… although there’s a picture they could just look at it??? Or six pictures??.. it’s also very hard to tell the dropshipperz – listing things from regular book sellers that actually have inventory…

I really don’t sell expensive collectible items here whether their books, or other widgets…

Most of the time they’re just not a good fit for Amazon…

Or they instantly sell somewhere else, because no one found them in Amazon’s catalog…

I have things figured out quite well in terms of inventory. Most of my inventory is out-of-print nonfiction. Fortunately, I have great sources of these books.

Sometimes with a media item (book, DVD, CD), the reason you are not offered the media mail option is that the item actually is in a non-media selling category. For example, we sometimes sell crafting books or videos that are listed in the arts and crafts category. Or once in a while a workout video or fitness book listed under sporting goods. Amazon’s shipping system does not, therefore, recognize these as media items and won’t offer that option. We do not create the product pages in the non-media categories, but many already exist. Just another quirk/weakness of the Amazon catalog.

Other times, there simply is no logical reason why media mail is not offered, or sometimes no USPS option of any kind.

I recommend using Pirate Ship as a backup service. Opening an account is free, their rates are excellent and you don’t have to pre-fill your account with money. PayPal shipping is a good option as well but clunkier.

Thanks! I think that I figured out. Somehow, the estimated delivery times for USPS must be longer than they were last week. Wonder if Amazon.com made the change or USPS.