user profile
Sign in
user profile

Marketplace Tax Collection Overview in the US

by News_Amazon

23 states have passed legislation that transfers the tax responsibility from you to Amazon for the products that you sell in Amazon’s store. In these 23 states, Amazon calculates, collects, and remits tax. Amazon’s tax collection in these states is based strictly on state legislation and there is currently no option for selling partners to opt-out. In July 1, 2019, based on changes to Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming State tax laws, Amazon began calculating, collecting, and remitting sales and use tax for all orders shipped to customers in these eight states. Beginning September 1, Ohio will also join the mix.

Marketplace Tax Collection States

StateEffective Date
ArkansasJuly 1, 2019
IndianaJuly 1, 2019
KentuckyJuly 1, 2019
New MexicoJuly 1, 2019
Rhode IslandJuly 1, 2019
VirginiaJuly 1, 2019
West VirginiaJuly 1, 2019
WyomingJuly 1, 2019
VermontJune 6, 2019
IdahoJuly 1, 2019
New YorkJuly 1, 2019
South CarolinaApril 29, 2019
NebraskaApril 1, 2019
District of ColumbiaApril 1, 2019
South DakotaMarch 1, 2019
AlabamaJanuary 1, 2019
IowaJanuary 1, 2019
ConnecticutDecember 1, 2018
New JerseyNovember 1, 2018
MinnesotaOctober 1, 2018
OklahomaJuly 1, 2018
PennsylvaniaApril 1, 2018
WashingtonJanuary 1, 2018

In the image:

• Orange States: Marketplace Tax Collection states
  • Gray States: Non-marketplace Tax Collection states

You can learn about new tax collection updates by following the stories published in the “tax” category of Seller News and in the Marketplace Tax Collection FAQ. States with active tax collection laws will be greyed out in your tax settings. When viewing an order’s details in Seller Central, you will see a tax collection model and the tax collection responsible party. When those fields show “Marketplace Facilitator” and “Amazon Services, Inc.,” respectively, that indicates that Amazon is responsible for collecting tax for that order.

Tags: News and Announcements
102 replies
102 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_ozY4GY0lRLdxb
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

I have said it before and I say it again: THESE TAXES ARE UNCONTITUTIONAL! They represent a tariff on imports from another state, Absolute ciolation of the Interstate Commerce Clause!! Why doesn’t amazon and its team of lawyers fight this atrocity?

user profile
Seller_WtOwWhtSrFjva

And as I understand it, California is going to start October 1st.

user profile
Seller_jw3HRo32wY2Hk

Having had some experience of sales tax collection, it’s a complete nightmare. “In Washington, companies that have more than $100,000 in retail sales or 200 transactions now must register with the state and collect sales tax from customers.” What a joke… 200 transactions. Ultimately these taxes just shore up the position of monopolies, guess who!

user profile
Seller_t9h6B9oRkzpSb

Very soon all states will join. Why not? Free revenues.

user profile
Seller_Y8OQ7H0PFUXzM

Does this mean that the states that already began which included NY (where I am based) I dont have to report it anymore to my accountant? Amazon will take care of it all together?

Thanks

user profile
Seller_2uz2fHwoT8M6S

It is a bunch of crap. The internet was created by the Federal Government; it has NO physical boundary. If anyone has jurisdiction to tax the internet, it is the Federal Government, not the states. It is ridiculous that New York can tax a product made and listed for sale in Idaho, who’s transaction more than likely took place on a computer/server in Washington. I mean, my point is, states are trying to tax transactions that did not happen within their legal jurisdiction!!!

user profile
Seller_sgabjs6G1RuE7

[Removed off topic post]

Moderator Edit (chris_mod_amazon)

user profile
Seller_gqOjF5X6C2UQQ

Frankly, I’m ok with taxes on internet sales. But not the way they are being implemented on internet sales by state, which just causes confusion and extra workload for the sites that host third part sales. This cost just comes back to the seller. There should be a flat national fee/tax on internet sales from companies that are located in the US. If a US company moves out of the US, they will still have to participate because the majority of their sales will be in the states. This tax should be used to provide all citizens of the US, in any state, universal health care. If you don’t live in the states, you are not exempt. If you want to sell in states, then you must participate. Most of you already have health care. We don’t! Trade tariffs have been around for 100s of years.

user profile
Seller_0nASTwbyJFkXy

Please tell me how this innovation will affect third-party sellers?

user profile
Seller_g9z7VrKePQvjq

I am so glad Amazon is finally getting this together. I had completely bailed on FBA but might get back in after the tax collection in California is set up

Go to original post