Long Product Titles

Can I use long titles for my products in Amazon - around 180-200 characters? And will long titles affect the appearance of my products in Amazon Search?
At the moment some of my products with long titles have the alert sign and it is written that I should fix the alert by reducing the size of my titles to less than 105 characters.
So, can I keep long titles because they are very reach in keywords or do I need to make them shorter?

You should use your titles to accurately describe your item. Having them keyword rich is important but using keywords which are often used by buyers to search for the item is better. amazon does allow us as seller when listing our items to use a certain amount of characters. I always try to use as many of those characters to accurately describe my items as possible. Some times sellers don’t make good use of this facility to describe their items. Make your products stand out from others by using your titles efficiently to accurately describe your items listed on Amazon.

If you have an alert, then they need to be shortened.

Either way, long title send buyers away. This ain’t ebay, where you throw every random word into some monstrously scary looking long title.

I find listings with long titles very unprofessional and will tend to move on and not look further into the product.

You need to keep your title pithy and properly utilize the key words on the listing to help with searches. Actually, longer titles have a harder time being found because the word match percentage will be very low because they are not searching on 5 - 10 words.

Amazon knows long titles reduce search finds and deflects potential buyers away and is why you are being alerted about reducing your title size.

Utilize the description, key features and keywords to maximize your search finds and clean up the product page by reducing the title length.

Here is an example of a long title: B00ODEG0TO

Would you really buy that thing?? (It does have a high sales rank, and a lot of reviews??)

Yikes!

Love the faked packaging/software style box, complete with FBA bar code! The listing hints that’s the actual package, of course it isn’t. You get one of those by paying somebody on Fiverr. And the faked “book” eBook too.

I think this was put up by an internet marketer. It has a lot of IM tricks and foolery in it. Jam-packed with keywords. Large number of reviews that are not “verified purchase.”

But that’s the way they listed it on Alibaba…

No. You must follow the “style guide” for the category you list in. Just because you are physically able to put in 254 characters does not mean it is allowed.
> And will long titles affect the appearance of my products in Amazon Search?
Yes. Long descriptive titles will NOT have advantage in placement over short correct titles
> At the moment some of my products with long titles have the alert sign and it is written that I should fix the alert by reducing the size of my titles to less than 105 characters.
Good. You are in violation.
> So, can I keep long titles because they are very reach in keywords or do I need to make them shorter?
Keywords are for the keyword section. Titles are for the PRODUCT TITLE ONLY. Not what it can do, where you can use it, what it is similar to. If the product has a name, like “The Knifinator” then that is all you can put in the product title. You cannot put “The Knifinator - The world’s best knife lifetime warranty all colors super sharp stainless steel better than the Widget Knife we ship in 24 hours comes from Taiwan best in class knife sharp pocketknife kitchen cut meat very good”

Double Yikes!!

Having:
‘FULL Lifetime Guarantee’

In the search title is a violation in itself.

You should never use 'but that’s they way they listed it (on another service)'
Because
That is no excuse for violating Amazon’s rules and guidelines.

You think that is long…how about ASIN: B00PZARVCA?

Edited by: kitchenmadecosmetics on Jan 20, 2015 11:48 AM

I was joking.

The Chinese wholesale sites are notorious for cramming as many words into the title as possible. Sometimes some of those words are hilariously inappropriate.

Thank you for your answers.
I have one more question regarding the titles - Can I use different keywords in title and in the Listing Search Terms Section?
Or should I repeat the keywords which I use in the product title in the Listing Search Terms Section?

> Can I use different keywords in title and in the Listing Search Terms Section?
> Or should I repeat the keywords which I use in the product title in the Listing Search Terms Section?
The title is already included in the search. Don’t re-use titles in your search terms.

NO.

>And will long titles affect the appearance of my products in Amazon Search?

NO.

> At the moment some of my products with long titles have the alert sign and it is written that I should fix the alert by reducing the size of my titles to less than 105 characters.
> So, can I keep long titles because they are very reach in keywords or do I need to make them shorter?

You need to follow the Amazon rules and stop thinking like am ebayer. When you create a catalog page, there’s a section for keywords. THAT is where keywords belong, not in a ridiculously long gibberish title.

You can. But we will hate you for it.

The catalog has enough problems. Please don’t make it worse.

closed #18