Listing your products in the correct condition

Amazon has several product detail and listing policies to ensure customers have a consistent buying experience and receive items in the condition they expect. In order to keep your account healthy and avoid suspensions due to customer complaints, we suggest you review our policies and best practices to avoid complaints that a used item has been sold as a new one.

When you list your products, make sure to specify whether they are new or used. Items listed in “New” condition are expected to arrive in brand new, unopened condition with no signs of damage or wear. Sellers receive “Used Sold as New” complaints when buyers complain that the items they received appear to be used, even though the item was listed in new condition. Customers may perceive an item as used if the product packaging has been opened or has come off, if the product contains previous user data, or if the item shows signs of use such as scratches, dirt, or scuffs.

Here are factors you should consider about the quality and condition of your products:

• Sourcing: Are you sourcing the product from a trusted supplier that sells items in new condition?
  • Listing: Is the product accurately described on Amazon and listed in the correct condition? Have you ensured that there is no ambiguity and the customer is well informed?
  • Packaging: Is the product in its original manufacturer packaging as listed on Amazon? Is the packaging robust enough to stay intact throughout the chain from manufacturer to Customer?
  • Shipping: Have you taken all appropriate steps and quality checks to ensure that the product is stored, packed, and shipped appropriately, and will not be damaged when shipped?
  • Returns: When handling customer returns, are you ensuring that your product still meets "New" condition guidelines before returning it to your inventory?

See information about Condition Guidelines, Best Practices in Product Authenticity and Quality, and Product Detail Page Rules in Seller Central.

You can also find guidance on how to add your products and manage your inventory under the “Add your products and manage your inventory”section in Seller University.

Intellectual Property Complaints

The thing is. Even know I am in handmade and half my stuff is PERSONALIZED so it cannot be used. We ship our items with protective film. So the customers see scuffs and scratches. We put postcards, stickers, and IT IS in the listing about the film but there are those few who still complain item sold as new but used which can’t happen. Then I get dinged. Keep in mind customers are not very computer savy so they will hit any button to report or complain. I have put my personal phone number in my packages now just so I can deal with the customers myself. I think if a customer has to call Amazon you automatically get dinged.

Currently, I am going through a A-to-Z case with a customer who complained, “Used Sold as New.” I sold the buyer (ASIN: B086XLZHGR), which was brand new condition until the buyer decided to open 5 of the 7 bobblehead boxes. Not the 4 that he claimed in the case. Once the bobblehead boxes tape seal is broken, the value can dramatically fall. After returning the order, I charged the buyer 50% restocking fee as in Amazon refund policy.

Buyer didn’t like that, claimed false advertisement, Used Sold as New. Buyer didn’t know that the Series One Bobbleheads came with a single manufacturer tape seal on the center of the top and bottom lids. In messages, he said he owned the later series and assumed that the tape seal on the Series One would be the same. I had this discussion in another topic I created.

The buyer had admitted in the A-to-Z case to have cut the manufacturer seal and opened several boxes. I should have the case tossed out and Product Condition Customer Complaint violation removed. Its been 8 days and the case is still under review. Sadly, Amazon has rejected all of my Plan of Actions because I can’t provide them with invoices within 1 year. The Series One bobbleheads are no longer produced or sold by the manufacturer. They discontinued in 2014 and any leftovers are considered “New Old Stock.”

Amazon removed the listing. I don’t care about having it reinstated. I simply want the violation removed from my account health.

Exactly, same thing happened to me. All items are personalized, made to order. Item was opened/damaged in shipping and customer put reason for return as “defective”

How about the Amazon employees stop putting returned merchandise back into the inventory stream. PLEASE allow us to have ALL returned FBA merchandise returned back to the seller.

That’s another thing. The buyer claimed defective as the return reason, so he wouldn’t have to pay for return shipping. Its beyond messed up.

I would love to know how many Used Sold as New complaints that Amazon receives for products they sell and what their internal reconciliation process is when that occurrence happens.

What happens when you do everything correctly, but the customer is either mistaken or making a false accusation regarding condition?

This is all great but its Broken beyond i have 2 times iam dealing with right now …

1. bots pick up key words such as ,and it has happened to me before, ( I have “used” this before but i no longer need this much ) This is a something like plastic wrap lol week later you end up getting a item claimed as to be used sold as new…
  2. or something happens during shipping, package gets crushed or whatever, of course customer deserve a replacement or refund but again out of 1000 sold that one complaint get NEW sold as USED blocked item
  3. or as others have said customer just pick a wrong return reason by mistake or just don’t want to pay for return .
    ANNNDDD THEN

when it comes to appeals, in order for inactive block to be lifted you have to ADMIT you screwed UP ( even thought you did not ) and sold a used item as new and what you doing to fix it, for the listing to be reinstated …
if you try to point logic and explain it will not be reinstated …

I am seeing a consistent pattern here. The customer is using the “return reasons” incorrectly by stating the items are “defective” or “used” in order to get a prepaid return shipping label and refund from Amazon. Amazon is clearly only concerned about customers and not considering the sellers in this whole situation. I just received a stranded inventory flag on BRAND NEW items I sent to FBA. Amazon wants me to prove they are in new condition while they are sitting at their warehouse in BRAND NEW condition. Amazon has a lot to do on their back end to improve this process. Most customers will add a “buyer comment” that completely contradicts the “return reason” and shows the customer has chosen the wrong return reason, but Amazon doesn’t consider this in their equation. Baffled.

100% correct, it’s infuriating!

This is a factor FBA needs to consider when they process returns. Or even better, Amazon should consider allowing sellers to have all FBA returns automatically marked unsellable. That alone would greatly reduce used-sold-as-new complaints.

I would love to know how many Used Sold as New complaints that Amazon receives for products they sell

Personally, and on more than one occasion, I have ordered a “New” book from Amazon itself, and what I received was no where close to being new … so, yeah

Daddy Jeff doesn’t always set a good example for his children

… and to add, Amazon warehouse is particularly bad at grading books correctly. I think that’s why the used book conditions were re-written and left in such a sorry state about a year ago. So that AZ warehouse can sell beat up books as Like New. Just my opinion, but it’s based on books I’ve bought from them.

But since neither have a feedback score, no one will ever know just how good or bad they practice what they preach

Personally, and on more than one occasion, I have ordered a “New” book from Amazon itself, and what I received was no where close to being new … so, yeah

Daddy Jeff doesn’t always set a good example for his children

… and to add, Amazon warehouse is particularly bad at grading books correctly. I think that’s why the used book conditions were re-written and left in such a sorry state about a year ago. So that AZ warehouse can sell beat up books as Like New. Just my opinion, but it’s based on books I’ve bought from them.

But since neither have a feedback score, no one will ever know just how good or bad they practice what they preach

**** With all that said, I do agree with Amazon’s statement, and I believe that it is VERY important to grade things correctly. I may complain about AZ, but the absolute worst at selling Used books as New is 3rd party sellers particularly the bigger companies … again, I know this from books that I have ordered from them … when I order a ‘NEW’ book from a 3P seller, I would say that about 75% of the time, the book I receive is not new … that percentage is horrible and on many occasions the book was so bad, that I had to return it … which just wastes everybody’s time … it’s very frustrating

anyway … rant /off

Unfortunately when we use FBA Amazon does not provide us a way to have ALL returns removed so that we can personally inspect everything single item returned. Please Amazon, some sellers want to inspect every item that gets returned so we can decide if the item has been opened to ensure that used/opened items are never shipped to a customer as new.

Unfortunately when we use FBA Amazon does not provide us a way to force that our product be packaged in a shipping box so sometimes Amazon is shipping the item in the retail packaging. Please Amazon, allow US to indicate if we want our items shipped in the retail packaging in the same way that you give buyers the option.

Can you clarify which policy sets the expectation that “New” items be unopened?

Right now I see Amazon policies and programs indicating the exact opposite, that “New” items can be opened. For example reference the below information:

New : Just like it sounds. A brand-new, item. Original manufacturer’s warranty, if any, still applies, with warranty details included in the listing comments. Original packaging is present for most New items but certain items like shoes may be re-boxed.

Repackaging services

FBA repackages your eligible customer returns so that they can be sold as new. The service applies both to retail and FBA return items, and cannot be disabled in your settings.

Each returned unit is evaluated to determine whether it can be repackaged. Repackaging can include replacing the poly bag or bubble wrapping, or re-boxing the item. It can also include repackaging of branded and unbranded boxes, and poly bags.

Refurbishment services

Additional packaging services are available through optional refurbishment. Depending on the item, FBA can re-tape, re-glue, and re-staple boxes; remove excessive tape, non-product labels, and stickers; and re-box branded and unbranded corrugated boxes. Shoes and apparel refurbishment can include steaming and removing stains and odors.

How can FBA sellers be responsible for “Used Sold as New” when FCs all too often place used/defective returned items back into our new fulfillable inventory? This is beyond our control.

Based on sentiment in countless threads on this topic in the forum, the majority of sellers absolutely want to be responsible for this to help improve the customer experience and eliminate complaints.

The solution is for Amazon to enable FBA sellers the option of having all returned items automatically removed and sent back to the seller’s address for inspection.

I had an order trigger this issue because the customer messaged to ask if something was ‘used’ since it arrived loose. The item listing specifically lists the item as loose. So yeah, innocent question, triggers the hammer, and listing is inactivated.

I’m all for weeding out bad sellers. But there has got to be a better way than punishing a good seller. I can’t reinstate the listing because my new stock is OOP since 2009-2011.

Both Amazon and I lose in this situation. Walmart.com is treating me way better, and often times I sell items for more there.

Exactly, that’s how the book people in Des Plaines work. They order two books, choose which one they want to ship for their order then return the one they don’t want saying it’s an inaccurate web description. So they get off free with no return postage and the seller gets a ding. They have repeatedly been reported to Amazon, but nothing is done about them.

I agree and what @house55 mentioned about taking the blame for something we didn’t do. Its ridiculous. The Plan of Action (POA) needs to be revamped. For instance, if a invoice from a distributor or manufacturer is more than 365 days old. It gets rejected and I’m stuck with a “Product Condition Customer Complaint” violation. Many of the items I sell are considered New Old Stock but not factory sealed with the plastic wrapping that video games are in. Many have a sticker/tape covering the lid or nothing. It doesn’t mean I am selling, “Used Sold as New.”

There is no system in place to protect sellers and enable Seller Performance Team to take action BEFORE the seller receives a “Product Condition Customer Complaint” violation. Which leads me to my next point, Amazon REALLY needs to add the “block buyer” feature that eBay offers everyone for free. Its the only way to stop potential trouble makers, habitual offenders and competitors from ruining a rivals metrics. Amazon could rename it to “Block user” feature, the process of eliminating the issues I mentioned above will be quicker and it will free up Seller Performance Team from reading millions of emails. Yes, it’ll alienate buyers but if Amazon wants to earn extra revenue. They can charge sellers a small monthly fee to use this “Block user” feature and rake in millions. Another win/win solution for everyone.