Amazon has several product detail and listing policies to ensure customers have a consistent buying experience and receive items in the condition they expect. In order to keep your account healthy and avoid suspensions due to customer complaints, we suggest you review our policies and best practices to avoid complaints that a used item has been sold as a new one.
When you list your products, make sure to specify whether they are new or used. Items listed in “New” condition are expected to arrive in brand new, unopened condition with no signs of damage or wear. Sellers receive “Used Sold as New” complaints when buyers complain that the items they received appear to be used, even though the item was listed in new condition. Customers may perceive an item as used if the product packaging has been opened or has come off, if the product contains previous user data, or if the item shows signs of use such as scratches, dirt, or scuffs.
Here are factors you should consider about the quality and condition of your products:
- Sourcing: Are you sourcing the product from a trusted supplier that sells items in new condition?
- Listing: Is the product accurately described on Amazon and listed in the correct condition? Have you ensured that there is no ambiguity and the customer is well informed?
- Packaging: Is the product in its original manufacturer packaging as listed on Amazon? Is the packaging robust enough to stay intact throughout the chain from manufacturer to Customer?
- Shipping: Have you taken all appropriate steps and quality checks to ensure that the product is stored, packed, and shipped appropriately, and will not be damaged when shipped?
- Returns: When handling customer returns, are you ensuring that your product still meets "New" condition guidelines before returning it to your inventory?
See information about Condition Guidelines, Best Practices in Product Authenticity and Quality, and Product Detail Page Rules in Seller Central.
You can also find guidance on how to add your products and manage your inventory under the “Add your products and manage your inventory”section in Seller University.