Limited ASINs from 2 million to 100k This sucks!

Just got this awesome email from Amazon.

Dear Seller,

We are writing to notify you of a change to how we will calculate the monthly High-Volume Listing Fee. To give you time to plan, this change will not take effect until August 1, 2016.

1. How will the new High-Volume Listing Fee work?

Starting August 1, 2016, we will identify non-media ASINs where: (i) you have an active offer, (ii) the ASIN was created more than 12 months ago, and (iii) the ASIN has not had a sale from any seller in the past 12 months. Your first 100,000 ASINs that meet these criteria will not be charged the High-Volume Listing Fee. For each additional ASIN (above the first 100,000) that meets these criteria, you will be charged a monthly High-Volume Listing Fee of $0.005 per ASIN. The High-Volume Listing Fee will be charged monthly and will be applied to your highest number of applicable ASINs above 100,000 at any time during that month.

1. Can you show me an example of how the High-Volume Listing Fee is calculated?

If during a month, you had active offers on 300,000 non-media ASINs that have not had a sale by any seller in the previous 12 months and have been listed on Amazon for at least 12 months, the fee applied for that month would be $1,000. This is calculated as 300,000 minus the 100,000 that are not charged this fee, which equals 200,000 ASINs that would be charged $0.005 each.

1. How frequently does Amazon charge the High-Volume Listing Fee?

The fee will be calculated monthly and shown in the monthly statement.

1. Where can I find additional information about selling fees?

For more information on fees, including full fee schedules, search for “selling fees” in seller Help.

Thank you for selling on Amazon,

Amazon Services

It is different with blinds though. All our parents sell but we have many different heights and colors to choose from.

Do you sell blinds with many different size options?

Yes, but with blinds you could sell the 24 wide x 68 in white but the 24 x 38 in that color might not have sold in the last year. So we should not offer that size and color? Does not make sense. Every window is different and that is why we try to offer as many colors and sizes for the customers to choose from.

Also it keeps getting smaller. First it was unlimited, next 2 million, now 100k. It is only going to get smaller. Soon they will charge .005 for every sku period!! Watch

They’re really effing with some sellers this month, aren’t they?

Yeah this is ridiculous. Some sellers should be grandfathered in form the changes. We have sold on amazon for over 10 years and I have no idea how many times I have been forced to reduce my sku count or increase based on amazon making a change like this.

They are ruthless to sellers in matters like these.

Not only are they reducing sku count from 2 million to 100,000 the overage charge went from .0005 to .005 which as you know is huge!!!

We sell blinds so we have many different colors and sizes so that the customer has as many options to pick their sizes. Now we have to take down almost all the different sizes and leave the customer with just a few different chooses. How does this help the customer experience?

As an Amazon customer I am VERY HAPPY they are taking steps to remove the exhaustive amount of crap from their catalog.

But we make them money we are trending for a million in sales this year. We just have a lot of variables because we want Amazon customers to have a better chance of finding their exact sizes.

Sounds like an effort to skinny down the catalog. Eliminate listings where sellers are listing their supplier’s inventory not their own in numbers which rarely lead to many sales. Why should Amazon bear the cost of even 100,000 listings where most of them will never sell.

Good companion to the catalog merge and efforts to skinny down FBA inventories of slow movers.

The true issue is that Amazon has decided to make a profit. Costs that do not result in sales are being eliminated. They have the numbers, they know that the current situation costs them money.

Sellers who have to use buckshot because they can’t aim well enough with a bullet, are money losers for Amazon.

It doesn’t…LAKE has no clue.

HE/She does not understand the true issue. Which is amazon is playing with their sellers. We have increase inventory and reduced it more than 8 times in the last 5 years on these whims that amazon continues the change direction all the time.

It costs a good deal of money to increase and reduce inventory that many times and we load and remove items in the most efficient way possible on amazon.

Skinny down the catalog my rear!!!

Well the most efficient method for removing inventory is to sell it.

I think this is a step in the right direction–if sellers can’t figure out how to increase sell-thru, Amazon is now giving you a hard lesson.

It sounds like the products are made to order from standard parts, not that there are hundreds of thousands of dusty boxes in the warehouse… at least that’s the impression I get.

We do. We sell parts, that are offered in several different package quantities. Really, they are all the same part, and are packaged in the warehouse after a sale takes place.

As a business, why would you keep a SKU that does not sell for a year; not even one?
If I am reading this new rule correctly (I know it has been a long ago when I had a comprehension test :grin:), fees applies only for items that are +over a year old+ in catalog (so, newly launched products are excluded) and +not even one unit is sold+ within a year by anyone…
And you, still, can keep 100,000 low selling ASINs without fees…

are there really sellers who have 100K items listed?

I would say, +mostly,+ drop-shippers…

Although I understand what you are saying, Amazon tells you that you can keep all of your ASINs, but you have to pay “rent” for slow moving ones. I believe, Amazon has maintenance cost of this platform and that cost is being pass on sellers/renters as well…