user profile
Sign in
user profile

Is This Insert TOS Compliant?

by Seller_21bG3JBnrqR83

Hi Everyone,

We are a small time Amazon seller and are planning on adding hand written notes to each of our packages. We are the manufacturer - the note will be sealed inside the package. I’ve studied the amazon insert TOS, but would love to know from the veterans here if this not looks within TOS. I’m in the supplement space, so I’m sure competitors are buying the product and would love to report it if its not.

"Hi,

Thank you so much for giving our brand a chance! We’re excited for you to join the XXX family

Your orders and reviews matter more than you can imagine!

Thanks,
XXX"

Thank you for your help!

Tags: Reporting
126 replies
Most helpful reply
user profile
SEAmod
In reply to: Seller_21bG3JBnrqR83's post

Hello @AMZ_user,

Thank you for asking a great question. The responses you received demonstrate the diverse opinions held by Sellers regarding inserts asking for a product review.

Our Customer product reviews policy allows you to ask for a product review in line with the policy which addresses what is and is not allowed. Sellers can solicit reviews in a neutral language, such as the following:

“Customers value reviews written by other customers who purchased this product. We would appreciate if you wrote a review that reflects your experience with the product. You can follow the steps outlined on this page to submit a Customer Review (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201929750)”

Each seller must decide for themselves whether or not to use an insert and whether it is handwritten or not. Just be sure it meets policy and make sure your team members and 3rd party partners are aware of the policy as their infractions will result in enforcement actions, even if they happened without your knowledge or consent.

Susan

Jump to reply
126 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_4RRTjOpWG0qkj

You should never mention reviews.
I think that all these notes are a bad idea, 99.9% of the notes will be thrown or ignored, the 0.01% that is kept isn’t worth the time or effort.
Personally I avoid anything that makes me doubt if I’m braking TOS of anything. There simply isn’t enough risk/reward, or even ROI for the time spent on the notes.

user profile
Seller_fGluy2Rns9Cfx

Feels like an Etsy move.

This is Amazon’s customers, not yours.

Are you in the handmade category?

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

I would avoid inserts and additional materials entirely (excluding Amazon generated packing slip(s)).

user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy

Although it’s a bit tacky (sorry), there is nothing against the TOS and is permissible.

Get rid of the smilie face and consider something along these lines instead:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your purchase. We are delighted to have you aboard.

When you have a moment, please let us know how we are doing, by leaving a product review and seller feedback.

Regards,
XXX

user profile
Seller_3EKgZrVXK022t

I think a handwritten note like this might actually be communicating the wrong things to your customers. You want to tell them that you are a little guy that appreciates their business, but do people really want to be buying something almost medicinal like supplements from a little guy or from some sophisticated factory?

I don’t know the supplements category at all, but I have seen big brands successfully portray themselves as folksy in the grocery and body care spaces. But in those categories smaller is seen as better, offering higher quality, more care in preparation, etc. Is this the same for your category?

To put it another way, do you know why customers are buying your supplements over the competition?

user profile
Seller_spBEmM4GC9jW1

We prefer the text that states:

If you are not completely satisfied, you are wrong.

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

If I theoretically, were considering an insert or other message it would be something like this. “Thank you for your purchase, we hope that our product and service have exceeded your expectations. Caveat emptor. Your review and feedback is always welcome.”

user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl

The last line about orders and reviews is fine.

Maybe just me – but that statement “We’re excited for you to join the XXX family” would be extremely off-putting. Extremely.

user profile
Seller_21bG3JBnrqR83

All very fair points. 100% a risk reward scenario.

For those saying it doesn’t add upside, I’d like you to look up the reviews for ASIN B07G4ZG7L4 - over 50% of the reviews mention the hand written card.

All that being said, 100% see that it is a risk even though it is 100% within TOS / confirmed by SS to be ok.

user profile
Seller_waD5es6ha7259

For me, I highlight the line on the Amazon Packing slip about how to leave a review. Then tape the packing slip to the product ( so it doesn’t get stuck/lost in the packaging). I have found that customers leave reviews more often with highlighting in the following order: green, blue, yellow, pink, orange, none.

Go to original post