user profile
Sign in
user profile

Is this a scam? Buyer requests us to ship FedEx, Fedex tracking shows delivered to a totally different address "Delivery option requested" "Alternate delivery requested"

by Seller_a410OGs1pnBRK

We sell lots of high $ value SKUs, mostly FBA. The below has all taken place on a single $1,700.00 SKU that we sell Merchant Fulfilled.

9/18/2020 “E” orders one, shipping to IN
“E” messages us shortly after ordering: “Hello! Could you ship it by fedex please? i just trust only fedex after a couple of incidents with other carriers”

9/23/2020 “K” orders one, shipping to CA
“K” messages us shortly after ordering: “hello! could you ship it by fedex please if its possible? its very important for me… thanks!”

9/28/2020 “M” orders one, shipping to TX
“M” messages us shortly after ordering: “Hello! Could you ship it by fedex please? Thanks!”

Our default is to always ship this item UPS but in an effort to provide the best customer experience we accommodated these requests to ship Fedex.

Looking at the tracking for our first 9/18/2020 “E” order shipped to IN
I see it was delivered to and signed for in LOGAN, OH
Uh oh…
9/20/2020 “Delivery option requested”
9/22/2020 At local FedEx facility in IN “Alternate delivery requested”

Looking at the tracking for our 9/23/2020 “K” order shipped to CA
I see it is still in transit but there is this update so far
9/27/2020 “Delivery option requested”

Questions:

1. Do we ship out today’s order to M with FedEx? (A team member already did but I have had the package held while looking into this).

2. We are shipping using ShipStation (Amazon API) billed to our FedEx act with “Direct signature required.” We have not paid for insurance.
    Are we supposed to take the loss or does Amazon if the customer files a charge back in scenarios like the above?

3. What can we do to protect ourselves going forward?

We have only sold 4 of this particular SKU in the last 10 days, with the last two today and 3/4 sales followed by “please ship FedEx” messages.

Your insights are much appreciated.

Tags: FBA, FedEx, Fulfillment, Shipping, UPS
12 replies
12 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_jTjh2jXjnhBi8
In reply to: Seller_a410OGs1pnBRK's post

This is a service FedEx offers. It’s safe.

When they first announced this program a few years ago, I tried to see if I could circumvent it like a fraudster would, and the security FedEx requires is pretty legit.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

It is not safe.

You have little protection possible against INR claims because delivery was not to the address on the order.

user profile
Seller_jTjh2jXjnhBi8

@Lake is a smart cookie, and I generally agree with them. While Ultimately I think you’d be safe, they are correct in that it really does have more inherit risk.

There’s also the additional factor that if your packages are getting redirected to different states, that will have an effect on your On-Time Delivery metrics.

user profile
Seller_a410OGs1pnBRK

Assuming we do get the INR claims I am kinda expecting, what is the best way to bring this fraud to Amazon’s attention?

Shipstation only allows us to use the Amazon Buy Shipping API for SFF orders. What is the best (Amazon/Ebay/Walmart/Newegg/Website) shipping software that would allow us to use the Amazon Buy Shipping API for all Amazon orders (so Amazon will protect us against INR claims like these)?

(I am also reaching out to FedEx to try and make it impossible for packages sent from our account to be rerouted. I am waiting to hear back from our account manager.)

user profile
Seller_mUAFSHRNpTAio

we ship about 500 pieces a week and we have gotten lots of requests to please ship by FED-EX or please ship UPS because they have better luck receiving delivery in their area by that carrier

user profile
Seller_BwNv17Ff1XNkA

You can have FedEx flag your account so packages can only be redirected to an authorized FedEx location. They person picking up the package must provide identification matching the package.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post