user profile
Sign in
user profile

Is there any escalation path for CPC Compliance appeals?

by Seller_cjwZSatCQZpV4

Amazon sent me a generic request form for Children’s Product Certificate (CPC) and Third-Party Test Report for a toy I sell. Generic form letter with a bunch of details they want me to check and comply with. OK, no problem.

I comply with all the requests: submit the docs, update the fields in the listing details. One exception: the product is labeled for ages 15+ so, it isn’t subject to the CPC. But I reply to every other request and explain the CPC exemption.

I get back the same generic request form with all the same requests.

OK, they want it laid out in detail … fine. I reply in detail laying out every change made and every doc sent. I make the individual case for every point in explaining how I have complied. I ask them to please clarify anything still not in compliance.

I get back the same generic request form with ALL the same requests.

Is there an escalation path because I have complied to the best of my ability and they aren’t giving me any clue as to what is still out of compliance and my deadline for removal is fast approaching.

Tags: Listings, Product removal
24 replies
24 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_2vBB5ac5mNWLh
In reply to: Seller_cjwZSatCQZpV4's post

Without a CPC aren’t you required to have a GCC (General Certificate of Conformity). Could you submit that instead?

user profile
Seller_cjwZSatCQZpV4

Thanks for the suggestion but my problem isn’t that I don’t have docs to submit. It’s that I can’t get any response at all regarding the submissions I am making. Sending them another document that they haven’t asked for probably won’t change that (though I will try to request this from the manufacturer).

I need to get this appeal in the hands of somebody who’ll actually look at what I’ve submitted and tell me what I’m missing. They just send the exact same form letter every time. Not helpful.

user profile
Seller_cjwZSatCQZpV4

Amazon requested CPC docs on a listing.
The listing is for a product for users 15+ years of age so, CPC does not apply.

I explained that CPC does not apply – they sent the same request form.
I sent a picture of the package showing the 15+ years language – same form.
I actually got a letter from the manufacturer stating that the CPC does not apply to this product – same form and now they won’t talk to me unless I have the requested CPC doc.

This is insane. They will be pulling my listing shortly. Is there appeal process to another level? All I can get from Compliance is the request for a doc that doesn’t apply. I’ve asked for reconsideration, escalation, or explanation, but I get nothing but the form letter.

user profile
Seller_OxjIxwlMmwmlP

If the product is being sold in a category that also sells products for children under 15 then you must comply.

There is not.

user profile
Seller_cjwZSatCQZpV4

I get it. Their ball, their rules. But I quoted their rules. “CPC is for 12 and under.” Unfortunately, they don’t feel obliged to play by their own rules.

The second link was to CPSC - the governing body that sets the rules that Amazon claims to be following.

“That’s just how it is” makes your reply as useful as Amazon’s.

What you’re saying is that there are bad actors so, Amazon can ignore their own rules and penalize sellers that are actually abiding by the rules because it’s easier for Seller Support to say ‘no’ than to think.

Anybody else think we should petition to get “Support” removed from the Amazon Seller Support moniker?

user profile
Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw

Recently Amazon flagged many listings. I’ve gotten requests for Major Brand products that even Amazon sells and ships.

OK, I’ll ask the obvious - Is the Minimum Age set?

If so did you respond through the MYC page?

Mine are still showing “Under Review”

Overall though @ASV_Vites is telling the way it is and what we always see. Sometimes you can go to jeff@ but of late that group seems less responsive than in the past.

user profile
Charles_Amazon

Hi @Ivy_Lane_Dreams

This is Charles from Amazon to provide you with some assistance.

Exactly what documents did you send?

The product category of children’s products has a certain level of government scrutiny because the end user is usually a child. This is relevant to many policy requirements, including required safety certifications, and product recalls, for example.

If the items are subject to government regulations, where only the brand or manufacturer can resolve, as may be the case, it is advisable to connect with your supplier for obtaining the appropriate and most up to date certificates or approvals.

As far as debating to change our policies, that is one thing, but showing proof of a false positive is another. You can dispute our policy enforcement, if that is your position.

However, the manufacturer or importer, is ultimately legally responsible for the compliance of a product with federal safety standards. As a retailer, you are responsible for ensuring that your products are safe and in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, standards, and practices.

Have you called a lab testing facility? A laboratory should be able to explain whether a test is required by law, by which jurisdiction, and also be able to direct you to a copy of the relevant legal citation. For federal requirements, you can dive deeper on CPSC’s website listing of regulations and overview of testing requirements.

Lastly, perhaps you already have to documents needed. For future reference, when adding a product, be sure to remember to add the certification number to your product detail page compliance tab when adding and editing a product listing. Sometimes sellers will not remember to fill in the blanks there.

Have you contacted us using the links provided on your selling platform and/or performance notifications? We are available to offer you resources and education in order for you to continue to be successful.

I hope this helps you with more insight.

Charles,

user profile
Dino_Amazon

Hey there @Ivy_Lane_Dreams,

Dino here from Amazon to help on the appeal path for compliance.

What was the documentation you submitted? Even though the product is labeled for 15+, we can still ask for documentation if the product seems that a child can play with it. Is there anything on the listing or images that show the product is for 15 and older?

It seems the documentation you are submitting is not being accepted. Have you submitted any laboratory testing documentation for the product?

If you have not submitted or gotten any documentation on the CPC, I would get this documentation. The team is only looking for that to get this product reinstated. Submitting an explanation on the Children’s Product Certificate was attempted multiple times but they are looking for the documents.

Our team is asking for the CPC on this product since something about this product is showing this can be for children 12 years and younger. Is there any indicator that this can be a toy? Did you create the listing or added onto it?

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dino

user profile
Ricardo_Amazon

Thanks for your input Dino!

user profile
Yokie_Amazon

Hello @Ivy_Lane_Dreams
This is Yokie from Amazon to help you with your concerns.

Thanks for your post, I understand you’re having problem getting a response on your submissions. I am here to provide you with some guidance on your concern.

I get back the same generic request form with all the same requests.

As @Charles from Amazon stated, have you contacted us using the links provided on your selling platform and/or performance notifications? We are available to offer you resources and education in order for you to continue to be successful.

Contacting us using the link provided on your seller platform can help us provide you with the assistance you need to answer any questions about the compliance issue.

The forums community and I are here to support you. Please let us know how we can help you from this point forward.

Best regards,

Yokie

Go to original post