user profile
Sign in
user profile

Is it true that we have to charge sales tax for all 50 states?

by Seller_RUnw46ntN2YeK

Is it true that the Supreme Court ruled that we have to start charging state sales tax for online sales for all 50 states starting October first?

Tags: Taxes
96 replies
96 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_mWZyJunCxCR84
In reply to: Seller_RUnw46ntN2YeK's post

No, the Supreme Court only said states can start collecting Sales Tax for online sales. Most states have not figured out what they are going to do if anything about it.

user profile
Seller_0txVq03QjK9Av

No - But within 2 years this will no longer be the case

user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S

Absolutely not.

user profile
Seller_W6XYNHHBMhc5c

No… if you sell on Amazon the buyers are AMAZON’S customers not ours. That is why Amazon will collect the taxes as they are mandated… everyone needs to just calm down… Amazon is already collecting taxes in states with mandates…

user profile
Seller_Op1XXeqLpOjfZ

As I understand, individual states will collect only if you have 200 transactions or 100,000 in that particular state in sales for you to have to file. Each state will set their own unique threshold tho. Not counting WA and PA which automatically take out already. Idk, who knows

user profile
Seller_6aqQYPXZ45Rd5

Nope unless you are registered on every state. With the last Supreme Court decision, it will be soon when all states will do what WA, OR, PA and SD do now.

user profile
Seller_JL6HfmnayP6jw

No, dont believe rumors and gossip.

user profile
Seller_mGMl3Jjw3tz04

Unfortunately that might be the case soon but not exactly on Oct 1st. Some states have new laws going into effect on Oct 1st.

Even for a state like WA, u still have to file an annual return with their DOR even if Amazon collects and remits sales tax for u. If u cross the threshold, then u owe them taxes from sales on other channels which will become apparent when u file with DOR. But to file with DOR u will have to register with WA tax. Doing so wud mean u r on the hook for .45% (somethign in the ballpark) in B&O taxes as well… (which u can offset in ur own state income taxes)

For anyone doing volume on this site and elsewhere, it might not make sense to wait for congress to act!

user profile
Seller_enXQcRERrupkw

No, but I think it’s coming. I also think the few states that currently don’t have a sales tax will see what is going on and want their share of the pie.

As far as Amazon…this explains what is happening now. https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/7VYHGJ8ZT2M58CP

You can research more about it online. But don’t panic and sign up for any service or start applying to each state for a license just yet. I’m guessing and hoping that Amazon will take on the job.

Hopefully Washington…as in DC…will come up with something that will “standardize” it all…but there are so many things on the list of things they need to do but haven’t…I’m not holding my breath.

user profile
Seller_Sg95ZnU2mtWsJ

For now on Amazon we don’t charge tax, but we have a second business that sells online on our own site and what we were told by our accountant is that we needed to be charging sales tax. The tax however is based on our location, so in our case we charge our state sales tax no matter what state we are selling to. The law our accountant showed us says that we charge for the state our “primary hub” is located in.

Go to original post