Introduction to receiving notifications on new Product Types and upcoming changes

A content rich product listing makes it easier for customers to make better buying decisions. Starting April, we are introducing new Product Types and modifying few existing ones. These Product Types will have product specific attributes that will help you describe your products better. This change will not immediately affect your existing selection.

Any new attribute, required for a Product Type will first be introduced as “optional” in the new or modified Product Types and later will be made “required” after 60 days. We will be sending out monthly updates on new Product Types and modification of existing ones along with the associated unique attributes that have been added as “optional” or “required” for the given Product Type.

When creating new selection, you can view these new or modified Product Types in Seller Central by navigating through > Inventory > Add Products via upload and selecting the appropriate template to download.

Introduction to receiving notifications on new Product Types and upcoming changes

Do they think we enter all this data by hand onsey-twosey? Every time they change a template, I have to rescript a database export, and it’s been years since I’ve been able to store my data in a monolithic, human-readable format, with a history of diffs, since there’s often one data structure per ASIN. Every time I have to open a case because Amazon has deleted or mis-merged critical contributions I’ve made, it’s a forensics job. Rather than chronically tweaking the Platonic data, Amazon might consider fixing their current systems so there’s not so much bit rot. What’s the point of gatekeeping the perfect listing and then trashing the data?

I have listings, where I’m the sole contributor, with no description, and bullet points that consist entirely of " ‘My Brand Name’ Furniture," listed in a category I didn’t list the item in with a higher fee rate than the one I did list it in. Why ask for more minor detail when you’re not interested in the major detail?

I agree with this.

“We will be sending out monthly updates”
Dear Amazon, WHERE you will be sending monthly updates? To my email? To my NOTIFICATIONS on my Seller Central account? Clarify, please…

I agree too,be better.

Stupid Changes

I hope that Amazon will specify the exact changes to the feeds when they occur - inclusive WHERE to find them within the feed file reports along with EXAMPLES

This article reads as if the changes have already taken effect (see April comment) - whereas none of these changes were rolled out yet.

Thank you for the “heads-up”. My team is curiously awaiting the tangible announcements…

Single most powerful formula for an Amazon Seller to combine databases in Excel: VLOOKUP

That said, coding skills to tap into the backend for automation help a lot. Congrats on having mastered it …

I’m a web coder for a living … I only deal with Amazon because I (regretfully) have a www client that sells here. I suspect I’m roughly about as technical as any seller here, and I still can’t cope with the ever-shifting landscape from an automation standpoint. I can’t even re-use existing data … even on listings where I’m the only seller, ever, and have BR, I can’t repost the data that Amazon randomly deleted because the form and format have changed. Which would be fine, if Amazon didn’t keep losing data over time. I realize nothing I do is at the scope of what Amazon does, but if I performed, technically, as poorly as Amazon does, or supported my code 10x better than they do, I’d be out of business.

I list books and pay extremely close attention to the ISBN, images, binding and condition. I have gone so far as to list in my descriptions the approximate number of pages with highlighting or bent page corners, so no one should ever be surprised by a book they buy from me. Except they are because Amazon will merge listings and suddenly I have sold a hardcover and the customer is expecting a paperback. Or I have sold an expensive leatherbound collectible that now has a different cover in the listing than the one I originally listed and loaded a photo of. (That customer wanted a $$$ refund and didn’t want to return the book - all communications were handled correctly & deadlines were met - and yet Amazon sided with them because the “wrong item” was sent.)

When I started selling on Amazon I regularly submitted corrections/images which, after review, were almost always accepted. Now I am stuck with whatever is out there, no advance knowledge of the changes and little opportunity to submit a correction that is actually acted upon. I only learn of potential issues after I have sold an item, realize it doesn’t match and have to notify the buyer who is generally angry with me.

I don’t have the magnitude of issues the “big” sellers have, but it all boils down to Amazon not listening to their sellers (who are as much Amazon customers as the buyers are).

I feel your pain, and agree with everything else you’ve said, but I regretfully have to point out that this last part is wrong, at least as far as Amazon is concerned. You may feel that you pay Amazon for e.g. useful support, but you would be wrong. You may believe that as a good seller, Amazon would rather have you than 10 new, fly-by-night overseas sellers, but you would be wrong. Amazon has a few “cornerstones for success”, but they all involve making buyers (unreasonably) happy, which often means e.g. simply handing over 3PS money. Even when they violate their own rules or behave like a company hell bent on an anti-trust lawsuit, they have enough lawyers to be right even when they’re wrong. Worse yet, they are setting expectations for buyers across the internet, so even off of Amazon, buyers now expect free 3-way shipping (buy, return, get in a different color) on e.g. furniture that goes by freight.

The sooner you disabuse yourself of the notion that Amazon owes you anything, at least as far as Amazon is concerned, the sooner you’ll come to terms with your actual experiences. If you’re selling an expensive one-off book, rather than bulk garbage, and one of Amazon’s cornerstones is price … well, then, they don’t really care if they trash your listing or seller rating, because that’s not what they’re optimizing for. Think: what would e-WalMart do?

PureDesignOnline, Thank you for the thoughtful response. Just to be clear, I have no expectations that Amazon sees us as their customers. BUT, in my “real” job I have layers of “customers” that I have to listen to - some are direct and some are three steps away but all are my customers.

When you view them all as someone you answer to, things get done right for all. When you address the needs of one group over another, no one wins.

When I started I think they did view the sellers as customers and/or colleagues in the build of Amazon, but in recent years that is no longer the case. And in my view, it is a loss for all - the customers will no longer get the best experience they can get when the good sellers decide not to put up with the nonsense.

Couldn’t agree more, but it is a sad thing when one has to be an expert web coder to comply with Amazon rules.

I am looking forward to the new headache too and stocking up my med cabinet with calming pills (too bad I can’t drink alcohol).

Seems like the worst possible time to roll something out like this. Just heaping on new stuff/rules in the middle of a pandemic when a lot of sellers are struggling with numerous issues already due to the situation.

Who thought this was a good idea?

Maybe should hold off on this until July.