user profile
Sign in
user profile

INR for item lost/not signed for by USPS, Can I refund & file SAFE-T Claim?

by Seller_hOEwwl79oL6tM

TL;DR: Customer bought item, I shipped on-time using shipping with signature required bought via Amazon. Package was lost. Customer has not filed an A-to-Z. How do I take care of this and keep them happy while not being out the money? Can I refund and file a SAFE-T Claim?

I had a customer contact me this weekend about a package they ordered over a month ago on 2/21/19. I shipped this item on the same day.

Since it was being sent to a business address, I sent it with signature tracking. It wasn’t a high dollar item, but this is my standard procedure for any package going to a business or apartment building. It saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

They didn’t seem mad, they were just curious when the package would be delivered, since it was over a month late and last tracking shows out for deliver.

February 23, 2019, 7:40 am
Sorting Complete
LOCATION, STATE ZIPCODE

February 23, 2019, 7:50 am
Out for Delivery
LOCATION, STATE ZIPCODE

February 23, 2019, 9:50 pm
Awaiting Delivery Scan
The delivery status of your item has not been updated as of February 23, 2019, 9:50 pm. We apologize that it may arrive later than expected.

Obviously, after 44 days, that’s not going to update. The package may have been delivered but not signed for or it might be wandering the ether. Who knows.

I’d prefer the customer not file an A-to-Z and I just refund them. I’d like to turn them into another repeat customer. However, I’d rather not be out the money for the item and shipping.

Can I refund them and file a SAFE-T claim without them having to file an A-to-Z?

Tags: A to Z Claims, Customer, Refunds, SAFE-T
16 replies
16 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_zDXVpmGz86diF
In reply to: Seller_hOEwwl79oL6tM's post

My guess is that the package may have actually gotten delivered but the carrier neglected to scan it at delivery – especially if there were multiple packages going to the same business on the same day.

Why do I mention this? I have a lot of incoming packages going to my mailbox store box. About 90% of them are via USPS, and probably at least once every 2 months, there is a day when the USPS carrier does not scan all of them. The tracking is just left at “Out for Delivery”, even though I do receive the packages just fine. Of course, this lack of scanning can cause stress for both parties involved – the recipient doesn’t see per tracking that the package has been delivered, and the seller can be taken advantage of by a buyer who actually did receive the package but decides to use the lack of delivery scan to try to get a refund.

So in this particular case, the carrier simply might have neglected to scan. It seems a little odd (though not out of the realm of possibilities) that a buyer would wait this long to inquire about a missing delivery. Maybe they’ve had the package for over a month and just noticed the non-delivery status when looking at their purchases in their Amazon account and wanted to make some cash.

Or maybe the package was delivered to a neighboring business. Perhaps the label fell off between the post office and the point of delivery. Have you called the post office responsible for delivery? With that much time having passed, they probably won’t be able to provide you with much information other than the tracking.

Did you insure the package? That’s probably the only way you’re NOT going to lose everything on this transaction, because you’ll pretty much have to refund without proof of delivery. Well, that or have the buyer do the A-z claim for INR for Amazon postage and hope it works as intended, even for a package not marked delivered.

EDITED twice for grammar, clarity, and a correction.

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

No, the buyer must file a claim for you to be reimbursed from Amazon’s Buy Shipping label policy.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200202220

A-to-z Guarantee claims: If you purchase Amazon’s Buy Shipping and ship on time, you are protected against claims where a customer reports problems with delivery. Amazon will cover the cost of these claims and they will not affect your Order Defect Rate.

You simply apologize to the buyer and let them know Amazon will cover the claim so that he/she may place a new order.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

No you cannot file a Safe-T. If it was insured, you can file an insurance claim as the package was lost. Or let it go to A2Z and see if Amazon covers it. Some say yes, some say without a delivered scan–no.

user profile
Seller_hOEwwl79oL6tM

Customer finally filed an A-to-Z today. I got a notification of the A-to-Z but when I went to check on it after I got into the office, I didn’t see it under “Action Required.”

It was already bumped over to “Under Review.”

Customer issue: Package didn’t arrive
Customer comments: didnt recieve

So I couldn’t officially represent my side, since Amazon decided I didn’t need to. Weird how that happens. But, since it’s under review, you can still add comments. So, I did…

• Buyer purchased on 02/19/2019
  • Order was shipped on 02/20/2019 via USPS Priority Mail with tracking number REDACTED. Shipping was purchased via Amazon Buy Shipping with signature confirmation required.
  • Package was last scanned as “Out For Delivery” on 02/23/2019.
  • Buyer requested update of delivery status on 04/06/2019, 46 days after order was shipped.

Because item was shipped using Amazon’s Buy Shipping service, this order should be covered by the Buy Shipping policy:

“A-to-z Guarantee claims: If you purchase Amazon’s Buy Shipping and ship on time, you are protected against claims where a customer reports problems with delivery. Amazon will cover the cost of these claims and they will not affect your Order Defect Rate.” (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200202220)

(And yes, I know I said in my first post the order was from the 02/21, but that was the last day to ship by and I’d just glanced at that date when making my post. I actually shipped on the 20th and it was ordered on 02/19)

user profile
Seller_Cn5nf3nd12mtA

Depending on item insurance is 30 cents on amazon- great investment. Do not refund anything until customer states
he has not recieved- people that take advantage will see tracking in limbo and request refund for INR. Most likely post man
forgot signature- If customer contacts you- you can ask customer if they want replaced or refunded??? but you need a
email thru amazon stating they never recieved so that u-pic will pay. (if they want refund- most likely they reciieved and are taking advantage of you- If they are aggressive they are most likely taking advantage of you. 99,9% OF customers are awesome, polite, patient. So if you reply professionally, explain item is lost, THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU!
Once they send you email item never recieved you can refund as insurance will pay your complete lost if package has signature confirmation with tracking not showing proof of delivery
hope that helps!

user profile
Seller_2y8IE3tTTO9yO
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_ythFo7Y5UXqxy

愿你一切顺利

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post