What is changing?
As we mentioned in our October 2020 Selling Partner API (SP-API) launch announcement, all public applications will need to migrate to the new service. Effective September 30, 2021, all third-party developed applications authorized by selling partners in the Marketplace Appstore (“public applications”) must be integrated with the Selling Partner API (SP-API) and support for Amazon MWS Orders, Reports, and Merchant Fulfillment Network (MFN) sections will be discontinued.
Developers whose SP-API applications use Direct-to-Consumer Fulfillment, Tax, Shipping, or Reports use cases must also use a new access protocol (a Restricted Data Token) for some operations and report types in the Orders, MFN, Shipping, and Reports sections. See the ‘Use case details’ below for the specific operations and report types affected.
We are focused on providing the necessary information, tools, and assistance needed to successfully migrate your app to SP-API. If your app needs to be migrated to SP-API, we will automatically create a support case for you to communicate with us directly and send you a follow up email with additional details.
We’ve also been listening to developer feedback and have re-evaluated the requirement for client-side encryption for the Reports and Feeds APIs. We have determined the existing server-side encryption we provide meets or exceeds the industry standard and will be removing the client-side encryption requirement to access reports and submit feeds in new versions of the APIs; making integrating with SP-API easier. Developers who have integrated with the current version of the Reports and Feeds API can continue without interruption.
Why is this changing?
The launch of SP-API represents the next generation API for programmatic access to Amazon features for sellers. All new development is occurring in SP-API and this includes several enhanced data protection and security features. Amazon takes protecting customer data seriously. This change is being made to ensure developers are using the latest technology and features for the benefit of both sellers and customers.
Who is affected?
Amazon MWS developers whose applications are authorized by selling partners in the Marketplace Appstore using the Orders, Reports, or Merchant Fulfillment APIs.
SP-API developers whose applications are authorized by selling partners in the Marketplace Appstore using the Orders, Reports, Shipping, or Merchant Fulfillment APIs.
Developers using other Amazon MWS sections or sellers who directly integrate with Amazon MWS do not need to take action at this time.
Which marketplaces are affected?
This affects all marketplaces.
What action is required?
If you have an Amazon MWS-based application that is affected by this change, you must update your application to integrate with the Selling Partner API (SP-API) by September 30, 2021 to avoid service disruption.
If you have a hybrid- or SP-API based application that is affected by this change, you must update your application to use the Restricted Data Token (RDT) via the Tokens API by September 30, 2021 to avoid service disruption.
We recommend that you start integrating with SP-API immediately and complete your migration from Amazon MWS to SP-API as early as possible.
Use case details
Developers whose SP-API applications use Direct-to-Consumer Fulfillment, Tax, Shipping, or Reports use cases must also use the new Tokens API for select operations and report types.
These SP-API operations will require the use of the Restricted Data Token (RDT) via the Tokens API to make a successful API call:
- Merchant Fulfillment (MFN)
- getReportDocument (for specified report types)
The SP-API report types that will require the Restricted Data Token (RDT) are:
All Amazon MWS Reports will be deprecated as previously mentioned. Accessing the correlating report types for these Amazon MWS reports in SP-API will require the use of the new access protocol via the Tokens API and Restricted Data Token (RDT):
These Amazon MWS report types will be deprecated and are not available in SP-API:
For more information
We are providing the following resources to aid your migration:
- SP-API Migration Guide - This step-by-step guide is to help you migrate from Amazon MWS to SP-API.
- SP-API Developer Guide - This guide has been updated to include the new access protocol in the Authorization section.
- Tokens API Reference - This is a new reference for the Tokens API and includes the operations for the new access protocol (RDT).
- Tokens API Model - This swagger model describes the operations you can use in the Tokens API.
- Tokens API Use Case Guide - This is a new guide describing the new access protocol for the Direct-to-Consumer Fulfillment, Tax, Shipping, and Reports use cases.
These resources provide preview information about the new version of the Reports and Feeds API that will be released in Summer 2021 to help you create or adjust integrations that do not require client-side encryption for reports or feeds as you migrate to SP-API:
- Reports API Model - This swagger model describes the operations you can use in the new version of the Reports API that will be released this summer.
- Reports API Reference - This is the reference guide for the new version of the Reports API that will be released this summer.
- Feeds API Model - This swagger model describes the operations you can use in the new version of the Feeds API that will be released this summer.
- Feeds API Reference - This is the reference guide for the new version of the Feeds API that will be released this summer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I use a third-party application that is integrated with Amazon MWS. Does this impact me?
No, at this time there is no change or action needed from selling partners who have authorized a third-party application to use Amazon MWS on their behalf.
Is it mandatory to migrate from Amazon MWS to SP-API?
You are only required to migrate to SP-API if your integration supports a use case that has been (or is about to be) deprecated in Amazon MWS.
The first phase of Amazon MWS deprecation begins April 6, 2021, for Orders, Reports, and MFN sections for all public applications authorized by selling partners in the Marketplace Appstore. You must migrate by September 30, 2021 to prevent business disruption.
If you do not support these use cases, no action is required at this time.
Is Amazon MWS going away? If so, when?
Yes, over time the legacy Amazon MWS sections will be deprecated and you will need to migrate to SP-API to continue service. Amazon has chosen a phased deprecation for Amazon MWS, and we will notify you when we deprecate sections of Amazon MWS and give you time and resources to help with migration.
Is the Amazon MWS Products section affected?
No, this change does not affect Amazon MWS Products section.
How can I get more information and stay up to date on SP-API?
- For North America, visit https://developer.amazonservices.com or sign up for email notifications at https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For Brazil, sign up for notifications at https://sellercentral.amazon.com.br/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For the UK, visit https://developer.amazonservices.co.ukor sign up for email notifications a https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/mws/notification.html
- For France, visit https://developer.amazonservices.fr or sign up for email notifications at https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For Spain, visit https://developer.amazonservices.es or sign up for email notifications at https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For Italy, visit https://developer.amazonservices.it or sign up for email notifications at https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For Germany, visit https://developer.amazonservices.deor sign up for email notifications at https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For Turkey, sign up for notifications at https://sellercentral.amazon.com.tr/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For India, visit https://developer.amazonservices.in or sign up for email notifications at https://sellercentral.amazon.in/gp/mws/notification.html https://sellercentral.amazon.in/gp/mws/notification.html.
- For Japan, visit https://developer.amazonservices.jp.
- For Australia, visit https://developer.amazonservices.com.au.
Where can I ask questions of other developers already using SP-API?
Visit us on GitHub at https://github.com/amzn/selling-partner-api-docs/issues to view developer community questions about SP-API or post your own.
Open a support contact with Amazon via one of these links:
- For North America: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/mws/contactus.html
- For Brazil: https://sellercentral.amazon.com.br/gp/mws/contactus.html
- For Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain): https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/mws/contactus.html
- For Turkey: https://sellercentral.amazon.com.tr/gp/mws/contactus.html
- For India: https://sellercentral.amazon.in/gp/mws/contactus.html
- For Japan: https://sellercentral-japan.amazon.com/gp/mws/contactus.html
- For Australia: https://sellercentral.amazon.com.au/gp/mws/contactus.html