Image changed from correct to incorrect - WHY?

I got an order today for this product, model DA250B: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006411D
I checked the listing, and found that the image has been changed to that of the later model DA250C. The image was correct when I listed mine for sale. It got changed sometime between listing and sale.
I can only hope the customer wasn’t confused, and won’t be upset that what was ordered doesn’t look quite like the Amazon photo!

I’ve been through trying to get Amazon to correct erroneous images, last time it took 6 weeks to get it changed +with+ the help of others from this forum.

HEY AMAZON, WHY DO IMAGES GET INCORRECTLY CHANGED? I have to prove any image corrections I submit with credible links, but somehow others can change images willy-nilly?

If Amazon would notify those with active listings of changes to the listings, these errors would get caught before they become a problem.

On Toys, your image dominates the catalog page once you take the Buy Box away from the Seller who originally uploaded another image earlier.

I have had the same problem in the book category - fortunately, I caught mine before the book sold. I’m not certain how the seller? is changing the catalog page main image - I have tried to replace a book image that was of a book missing dustjacket with one with the dustjacket - if there is a way to do it I’m not seeing it – on the images I tried to change - didn’t change the original image but instead put it as a customer provided image - and I was actually working from “seller account” … Lynne

I had the very same thing happen today. Someone changed the product image after
I sold the book and the customer wanted to know why I sold him the right book,but
with the wrong image. It cost me a partial refund, but it should have never happened
as I listed against a perfect match in every way, shape, and form.

It could be that when your customer bought it, your correct image was up. If you sold out of the product, the image will be replaced with either what the next seller has as an image (if that seller has the buy box) or convert back to its original image in the database. But when you sold the product, the customer may have seen the correct image at the point of sale. If you haven’t sold out of the products with this last order and the image changed then some other seller or Amazon effected the change.

same problem here now and then…at most, the only change amazon should allow is an additional image. but to allow people to change the main image completely really make no sense as far as I can tell.

To keep adding images will confuse buyers to no end and we may end with more problems because the buyer would not know which one they are buying out of the host of images and they can easily claim “not as described” later on.

That is an interesting point. Right now I am experimenting with this image upload issue on pages which I made and also on pages which I did not make but only one more seller is listing, probably the one who made the page.

Fortunately it is the exact same item but I am allowed to use the company photo from the catalog while the other seller just uploaded their own photo. Needless to say, the company catalog image is much prettier but I can only override the earlier image if I take away the Buy Box from the other seller.

On pages that I made, and I am the only seller for now, I can simply turn my own images on and off and change them to a new set very fast.

I will check later today if the originally uploaded image comes back on the catalog page when I raise my price or close my listing temporarily.

You’re right…the current system is so much less confusing to the buyer.

/sarcasm

>Unique App wrote:
>It could be that when your customer bought it, your correct image was up. If you sold out of the product, >the image will be replaced with either what the next seller has as an image (if that seller has the buy box) or >convert back to its original image in the database. But when you sold the product, the customer may have >seen the correct image at the point of sale. If you haven’t sold out of the products with this last order and >the image changed then some other seller or Amazon effected the change.

Well that’s an interesting theory. If that’s possible, would there have been multiple images at one point? I didn’t create the listing or supply the image, though.

Amazon replied to my image feed back:
We’ve reviewed the following submissions and have made the decision to remove the inaccurate image for the following product. This change will appear within the next business day.

At this point the incorrect image (and the only image) is still up. Last time I went through trying to correct an incorrect image, it took 6 weeks, we’ll see how long it takes this time.

The basic problem remains, though - somehow incorrect images (and other changes) get accepted and put up, creating problems for those with active listings.

I’ve had listings that changed Brands (incorrectly) and item specifications in the same way. If some are allowed to make such changes without having to submit unequivocal proof of accuracy, then some quality control measures need to be taken. Either require proof with review from everyone, or give those with active listings notification of changes and the ability to easily protest errors.

I suppose I am not a very intelligent buyer because when I buy a product I expect it to look like the image depicts not have a list of images of different models of products which was the case in this situation. The image depicts a different model but like I said I am one of those silly unintelligent buyers.

Come to think of it, Amazon is unintelligent too, what are they thinking expecting us to show the same model image of a product as the description?

There are certain sellers that can change the image, not only Amazon can do that so it is possible that each seller that has the ability to have a different image (not necessarily multiple at any one time). It is a problem and we have had to deal with it many times as well. If Amazon changed the image and told you about it there is little you can do unless you prove to them that the UPC corresponds to a different product providing detailed records and photos for this.

Some sellers upload the same image Amazon removes, and are successful in making iot the main image.

I doesn’t confuse me. I have seen books with 4 or 5 images showing. It seems fairly simple to understand what is happening. I would much rather see 4 or 5 images of a book as opposed to one image that may be wrong.
You seem to have a low opinion of buyer intelligence.

>Unique App wrote:
>…I expect it to look like the image depicts not have a list of images of different models of products which was >the case in this situation.

Just to clarify, the correct image is gone, and was replaced by an image for a different (later) model of the product. There is only one image on the page. I do not know if there was ever more than one image on the page.

The part that still baffles me is why the correct image was replaced with an incorrect image. It weren’t broke, why’d they fix it?

>chesterchicken wrote:
>I would much rather see 4 or 5 images of a book as opposed to one image that may be wrong.

That’s a good point. If they would at least leave the old image in place, then incorrect images could be called into question (assuming that at the images noticeably differ).

Why remove the correct image?

I’m pretty sure that Amazon images, like the product description and bullet points, are not tied to the buy box. Instead they are tied to what you might think of as a seller authority score. The authority score is an seller ranking algorithm that ranks sellers based on expected content reliability, with Amazon.com retail at the top, and new individual sellers closer to the bottom. The “descision” about which image to use is made by this algorithm, so if Amazon retail has an image uploaded it will win out over other images.

Because the decisions are made electronically, based on a formula, and any override is done by a human, it doesn’t suprise me that the turn around time is close to 6 weeks. There’s a fair amount of research involved and, I imagine, cleaning out the outdated or wrong images also takes time for the bad image to be cleared from the servers.

Amazon only has one main image. You could post the image of the earlier model as a customer image.

>hammer wrote:You could post the image of the earlier model as a customer image.

Yeahbut, Elvis has left the building. Mine sold, probably while the incorrect image was up so that won’t help me. If I list more, I’d put it up as a seller image.