user profile
Sign in
user profile

I read SO much negativity out there about selling on Amazon (FBA)

by Seller_q07aqTh0GD33V

Is it really THAT bad?? So often I read from very experienced sellers to beginners how terrible it is and how much of a waste of time it is. Are there any sellers in here who are happy and satisfied selling FBA?

Tags: FBA
10 replies
10 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_atnk8fSvVuoeY
In reply to: Seller_q07aqTh0GD33V's post

Been selling FBA for 10+ years. No major issues.

user profile
Seller_Qbd0RsfZFEZBY

We are 80/20 FBM/FBA SKU count and 20/80 FBM/FBA unit sales if that tells you anything. It takes some education and experiance to manage it well. Every SKU is different and needs to be matched to its most effective and efficient fullfillment method.

user profile
Seller_0O69KFvrK41OD

It depends on what you are selling.

it works for many businesses.

We sell healthcare items, that was not a fit for FBA at all.

user profile
Seller_KvVHwdfdwZaMc

I’ve heard a lot of successful entrepreneurs say that if they’d known how hard starting a business would be, they would never have gotten started. This is true across all types of startups, not just FBA. You’ve just got to be prepared for how difficult and complicated it’s going to be. A lot of people aren’t.

user profile
Seller_5Jw3XBAOWwMt0

It’s been nothing but great for me. Depends on your niche. You have to create the profit margin, that’s not on Amazon. I’m pretty great even though I avg about $1100 in customer returns every month. Amazon pretty much reimburse most of those. Many go back into inventory. Those that aren’t fulfillable goes to charity for tax write offs. If you take advantage of their platform it’s not hard. Then move on the other e-commerce platforms

user profile
Seller_nRFmxiQg4EGrw

You’ll find people saying FBA is great; you’ll find others saying that FBA is terrible, and only lazy/stupid/whatever people use it.

The truth is that every business is different. There are certainly things about FBA that makes it not a good fit for some businesses/categories, but it can also be great.

If you are selling an item that requires careful packaging, or real attention to product rotation (expiry dates), or items that represent a serious issue if Amazon decides a return is resellable, then FBA is likely not good for you. If you’re selling a niche market, and already have a shipping department, there may be no benefit to FBA.
But if you’re a medium sized seller, using FBA can mean that, instead of spending half your day packing orders, you can work on growing your business. Or you can sell on Amazon while still working your “real” job. Or maybe going fishing or spending time with the grandkids is more important that squeezing every last penny out of the business.
FBA can also give you more exposure if you are in a competitive field, as you’re more likely to get the BB, and there are plenty of buyers out there who will buy only Prime and/or FBA, even if it means paying more.
There is no universal right or wrong answer about FBA; a lot just depends on your business. The real problems come from the people who believe the YouTube gurus, and think that by using FBA, they don’t have to worry about their business. You still have to pay attention to pricing, stock levels, trends, etc.; with FBA you also have to watch storage fees and fulfillment fees, and how those affect your profits.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out, and see how it works for you. And if you have any specific questions, come here and ask.

user profile
Seller_spBEmM4GC9jW1

Too many variables to say. Not every product or every business model works with FBA. If you have questions about your products or business using FBA, ask. There are enough people here to give you the pros and cons.
We had a separate toy company, the items were too delicate for FBA and the return policy was too liberal for Amazon in general. Bad product fit for both the platform and FBA. We have a few other companies that offer indestructible durable goods. Amazon and FBA are a perfect fit for them once we tailored our business practices to meet the requirements. Many things to take into consideration like product packaging, labeling, returns, etc.

user profile
Seller_xgE8VKcHiSfnv

A benefit to FBA once you get stock into the warehouse is its not time critical like daily FBM shipments are.

The drawbacks are making sure the Pick n Pack fees are accurate, waiting to reconcile missing inventory and the processing of unfulfillable returns, only because each unit is shipped back separately and you end up with a bunch of boxes and padded mailers.

If you’re busy doing other things those can build up fast and opening and dispositioning them can be a bit of a chore but if you’re home based I suppose you can watch tv while you do it.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post