How to tell if a Buyer has opted out of receiving unsolicited messages

I send emails to customer 2 weeks after a purchase to encourage them to leave a review on the product(s) they’ve purchased. It’s shown measurable success and I’d like to keep using it.

I have received this email from Amazon this morning.

+Dear Seller,+
+We were unable to deliver the message you sent for order [xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx] because the buyer has chosen to opt out of receiving unsolicited messages from sellers.+

+…+

+Please don’t send messages to opted-out buyers for correspondence that isn’t critical to completing the order. Repeated violations of this policy may result in enforcement actions or loss of selling privileges.+

How can I tell if an order I received was from a customer who has opted out of receiving unsolicited messages? I have looked hard at the MWS documentation.

http://docs.developer.amazonservices.com/en_US/dev_guide/DG_IfNew.html

I can’t see any APIs or API calls to get customer information. I also do not see this information in any fields returned from listOrders or getOrder calls.

How can I tell if a customer has opted out of receiving unsolicited messages?

I’ve also read this FAQ

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help.html/?itemID=200383320&ref_=ag_200383320_h_r0_cont_sgsearch

It mentions that customers can opt out, but not how to get this information through the API.

It specifically encourages contacting customers for feedback.

I also see that it says “Buyers also can’t opt out of messages pertaining to Handmade, Wine, or Custom orders.”. I use Amazon Custom. Does this mean I can freely email these customers freely as I would a customer who hasn’t disallowed unsolicited messages, or does the email have to be specifically about Amazon Custom

12 yrs here and that’s a first !

I would reply …

Dear (whomever signed it)

I received this message :

We were unable to deliver the message you sent for order xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx because the buyer has chosen to opt out of receiving unsolicited messages from sellers.

Please don’t send messages to opted-out buyers for correspondence that isn’t critical to completing the order. Repeated violations of this policy may result in enforcement actions or loss of selling privileges.

It does not make sense.
    • Amazon Help Files state : “If you have not already done so, you may request feedback from your buyers. When contacting a buyer, keep in mind that pressuring a buyer or offering incentives for feedback is prohibited. For more information, visit our Feedback FAQ.”

• There is no method provided by Amazon to determine that a buyer has opted-out of correspondence that isn’t critical to completing the order.

If Amazon is instituting a New Policy please provide us with a Policy Help Page stating this and a way to determine if the buyer has opted-out

Post the email address here and I’ll send one too …

Rob
Oneida Books
Seller Solutions Plus

Thanks for your help. Wasn’t sure if I was missing something simple. Here’s the email and other info. I’m pretty certain it was an automated message however.

Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:02 PM
To: amazon@904custom.com
Subject: Your message to a buyer could not be delivered

I just got these messages also and spoke to my feedback request service provider. They assured me that my account isn’t in jeopardy of being suspended and are currently investigating the emails that sellers started receiving. To be safe I paused everything until I hear back from Amazon.

Has anyone gotten anything from Amazon about these?

LOL … I’d be switching companies if they are that oblivious to how Amazon works.

While they might be right … might … if they are “investigating” then they have no basis to say you’re safe.

I have sent a message to Seller Performance …

Amazon

Recently another seller received this message :

We were unable to deliver the message you sent for order xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx because the buyer has chosen to opt out of receiving unsolicited messages from sellers.

Please don’t send messages to opted-out buyers for correspondence that isn’t critical to completing the order. Repeated violations of this policy may result in enforcement actions or loss of selling privileges.

This does not correspond with any Amazon Policy that I have read :

• Selling at Amazon.com: Getting Paid: Velocity Limits and Account Reviews: How to expedite an account review - “If you have not already done so, you may request feedback from your buyers. When contacting a buyer, keep in mind that pressuring a buyer or offering incentives for feedback is prohibited. For more information, visit our Feedback FAQ.”
    • Prohibited seller activities and actions: Ratings and Feedback – “You may request feedback from a buyer, however you may not pay or offer any incentive to a buyer for either providing or removing feedback.”
    • Seller Central Help: Monitor feedback & performance: Getting Started: Improve your feedback rating: Request Feedback – “You may request feedback from a buyer. However, you may not offer pay nor any incentive to a buyer for either providing or removing feedback.”

Any policies I’ve read seem to state that a seller may send 1 feedback request.

Also … There is no method provided by Amazon to determine that a buyer has opted-out of correspondence that isn’t critical to completing the order.

If Amazon is instituting a New Policy … is there a :

• Policy Help Page stating this ?
    • More importantly a way to determine that the buyer has opted-out ?

Any response is always appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Oneida Books
    Seller Solutions Plus

Waiting to hear back …

Rob

Them ? Who might that be ?

• Seller Support … I take with a grain of salt because they have no input in suspension
  • Seller Performance … They are the ones who suspend you so I trust them
  • MWS Support … While they don’t do suspensions I still trust them on this

Just got this reply from them:

Please allow me to address your queries in a step by step manner.

1. Is there a way to see which customers have opted out of unsolicited emails?

While I understand that you are keen to know about customers have opted out of unsolicited emails. Our technical team is currently working on improvising the platform. From the time this new feature was rolled out, the technical team has received multiple request from sellers in wherein they would like to know which customer has opted out of the unsolicited email service.

Since this is a new feature, I hope you understand that our technical team is working improvising this platform. Once this feature is made available, we will certainly inform you view Seller Notifications.

==========================================================
2. Is our account in jeopardy for requesting feedback?

No. Your account is not in jeopardy for requesting feedback from customers. However, providing incentives with an intention to receive a feedback is a prohibited activity.

I apologize that the previous associate had not made this information clear. As I mentioned, your account will not be penalized for requesting feedback from the customers. You can go ahead and request for feedback on orders which you receive.

Hello, we had the same error when replied to some of our customers through our messaging system, so that wasn’t even Feedback request.

Does anyone know where can customer can opt out of receiving such messages?

I’ve tried to reproduce the error by disabling all emails in customer’s notification preferences, but all messages I sent to customer were successfully delivered. Maybe there is some other setting?

It was from Seller Support. Since then, a lot of these service providers have provided updates on this topic. I guess if you want to play it safe you should leave feedback solicitation to Amazon / customers, otherwise it seems okay to request feedback on products and orders.

How do we tell which customer has opted out?

We sent a message to a customer who opted out, and Amazon blocked the message and sent us this email:

"Dear Seller,

We were unable to deliver the message you sent because the buyer has chosen to opt out of receiving unsolicited messages from sellers.

However, even if a buyer has opted out of unsolicited messages, if you need to send them a message critical to completing his or her order, you can do it using Buyer-Seller Messaging:"

It goes on, but it does not say which buyer for which order this was.

We send many messages and there’s no way to tell which customer this is. Does anyone know a way to find out?

Has anyone figured out what to do here? I’ve been sending messages (for feedback) to my customers for months now with no issues, but today I sent them out and almost all of them were denied for this very reason. I’m wondering if my account has been flagged or if it’s just a coincidence.

Should I suspend this activity? What’s everyone else doing?

There’s no way Amazon can suspend our accounts for this, right? I mean, it’s in direct conflict with their policy (e.g., they encourage us to send out e-mails asking for feedback). They have to provide us with some way of knowing who has opted out and who hasn’t, right? Do they expect us to type out all of these e-mails and to personally keep track of who opted out or not?!

– scared seller

Edited by: Chelsea’s Soap Garden on Mar 30, 2017 9:46 AM

We got one of these messages this morning in response to an automatic ship notification that UPS sends when we use the UPS marketplace shipping option on UPS.com (where you can see you list of Amazon orders on UPS.com that need shipping and it populates address/etc. for you). I would think that Amazon and UPS worked together on how the marketplace shipping should work and what messages UPS would be sending. But clearly some other Amazon group has decided to view these as bad messages without giving us a way to know if customers have opted out. It makes me wary to use the UPS marketplace shipping as it sends shipment, exception and delivery notices.

You can find out if you go directly to your amazon sent messages.

Amazon Seller Support just called me back and they said DO NOT continue sending e-mails to users who have opted out… That’s it. That’s all they told me. They couldn’t tell me who I’m supposed to know who has opted out or not.

I couldn’t really understand the guy that well, but his manager is supposed to be calling me back within the next 24hrs. We’ll see what happens, but I’m suspending all e-mail activity until I hear back… Now I wait and watch as my reviews plummet…

Read this: https://www.sellerlabs.com/blog/amazon-opt-out-unsolicited-emails/

Promising, but doesn’t appear to cite any hard sources, so it’s not a definitive answer.

Thank you, I see those messages marked as such in the “Sent” folder. Thank you.

Hi,

I just wanted to give everybody an update on this issue.

No accounts will be suspended for this, as we recognize that there is no way for you to gain access to this information. While the original response was strongly worded, this will be changing in the very near future, and the aspect of suspension will be removed from future messages.

For now, our suggestion is keeping a list of the buyers for whom you receive these notifications, and add them to a blacklist for future communications. We are looking into ways to make this information available so that this workaround doesn’t have to be the primary way of tracking this data.

We thank you all for your patience, and bringing this to our attention.