How to Stop Listings Being Deactivated Due to Pricing Alerts

I believe that explanation is b.s. Amazon went from two day delivery to one day delivery on the items I buy by changing the cutoff time. No additional costs.

But I also believe the problem is on the expense side, and culling sellers will lower expenses, without harming revenue.

I did not expect you to agree with me.

Redacted is correct. If an item is inactive, the data feed from Amazon doesn’t report the item to the repricer. The problem is occurring on the front end, when an item is initially priced or when you use the price/quantity file upload. The uploads are not “taking.”

Now- there IS a way to address this issue, but it’s an awful process and carries some important downsides that must be observed. Still, I offer the advice in case it helps someone.

I discovered today that I CAN manually input a price successfully for 1 item. Since we sell only used books, the price MUST be lower the the lowest price for a new copy. But, you have to go to the product page to find the shipping amount so you have an accurate picture of the lowest new book price. If the total of the new book + shipping is say $15, you MUST price below $15 to get the price to stick. I know this isn’t helpful to those of you selling rare or collectible books, but perhaps in a few cases you can find some pricing you can live with vs. a new copy.

Here are the problems/downsides to doing this:

1- You cannot put the item into a repricer unless your max price is below new price. Otherwise, the repricer will un-do all your manual work and send the item to error.

2- Speak of… this is a VERY manual process. You can only do 1 item at a time. The uploads don’t work at this time. For me, with almost 500 inactive items it’s just not worth the time and effort it would take.

3- If you do decide to manually reprice things, keep in mind that for “everyday” books someone else may beat your price quickly but at least you’ll (hopefully) have items activated. This is another reason it’s not worth the time and effort. We sell using a low-price strategy so to go through hundreds of items manually only to lose price position quickly, and without the assistance of a repricer, is a complete waste of time.

All that said, others may find this info useful until Amazon gets its house in order.

Thank you for bringing that up, Its always had different UPC.

In theory competitors could also be doing black hat with our UPC / product code / description.

I o not understand how culling sellers will lower expenses?

Yes but this is NOT just books and not just high prices. We sell fashion - we are FIFTY PERCENT off the MSRP and there is another of the SAME item priced HIGHER than we are. My listing deactivated when I shaved some OFF of the price. They are still listed, we are deactivated. All I get from SS is the canned copy paste answer.

I will let you all know if I hear back from the Jeff team.

150 offers where 100 of them will not sell requires increased computer equipment, greater communications capability, more storage, and more sellers seeking support for the problems they have and asking why they have no sales.

It costs Amazon money for each and every seller and offer, and many of those offers never sell and Amazon recoups none of its expenses.

Everyone who posts on this forum knows there are too many sellers, and a constant stream of new sellers, most of whom will fail.

Please do. They seem to be maintaining radio silence.

@lake and I sometimes have very different perspective views on issues. It might be that culling sellers has backfired on amazon big time.

They are building AGLC and those items are all significantly lower priced than those USA base sellers that are selling channel sourced products.

Those low prices are incubating the “dollar store effect” thus in part, effectively lowering overall total gross marketplace sales dollars relative to the number of sellers.

I understand the logic yet I do not list where there are 100 sellers or copies and the listings did not have 100 offers for sale, just high price alerts.
I find that lowering the price has been the only method to get listings active again and that is in line with Amz becoming the cheapest source.
With less commission for same lowered product price.

I will - I will post here and the other thead as well. We shall see if I get an answer. I dont know if they maintain communications on the weekend (even though we are expected to do so LOL).

The purpose of the marketplace is to make sales which have prices and margins which are not suitable for a real business. Although there are marketplace sellers who can make money, the percentage of Amazon sales made by 3P sellers are primarily at the low end.

It has been weeks since I sent a message on on bogus Suspected Trademark Infringement bots to jeff@ with no response. I am more interested in whether you get a response than what it is.

Yeah Amz is becoming the Dollar Store of the Internet with this strategy. And maybe that is why the high pricing alerts.

Same here. I can’t stop it either. The min max function is not working.

I have one ASIN in which the bot is telling me my price is too high. But my price is actually the lowest! The listing keeps getting deactivated.

I’ve had this happen over the last few days. After you enter your own maximum/minimum parameters these alerts are supposed to go away. they don’t

what about products with GTIN exemption?

Most of my PL products are toys, and so far those have been left alone. I always used different UPCs as described above, but now that I am GTIN exempt on these items, hoping that is even better than having to make unique product for different marketplaces. Or perhaps they just haven’t gotten around to to TOYS yet.

I had assumed UPC was the way the comparisons to product on other marketplaces were made, but perhaps product title is also at play?

Also, I have media items that are NOT available anywhere on the web, only in stores–those are being left alone as well…

And images, metadata - the list of things that Amazon is likely to be tracking almost certainly is not limited merely to GTINs - for the very reason that you alluded to upthread, marketplace specificity.

Lake Some of us have items that may not sell immediately at the price we are asking, but they will sell eventually, with Amazon making a much larger profit than they will at rock bottom price. They will be slitting their own throat. . If Amazon forces sellers to all be WalMart and sell at rock bottom, low margin prices, they are sacrificing their profits on our higher priced items. Simple economics will correct the market. Amazon should leave it alone.
Their seller support hours would be much less if they don’t have to answer all of us regarding price fixing. Computer storage would not be that much in dollars, and we all pay monthly fees for that.
I know that we see a lot in the forums about low sales, but I doubt that sellers are really contacting Amazon to ask why. And I don’t think that AZ spends much on Indian seller support that sends canned answers.
Price fixing needs to stop!!! Let the market decide if we are within a reasonable range. The reasonable range changes over time, depending on supply and demand,

I sell that way.

I am not seeing these issues, at least not yet.

There is something about you or what you sell which differs from me and what I sell.

The monthly fees cover nothing. The profit is in fees on what sells.Both referral fees and FBA pick and pack fees.

Lake - The profit percentage that can be made in the marketplace depends on your business model. Low margin seems to be the model for a lot of big, large quantity sellers. Not everyone wants to be low end and high quantity. Some of us go for hard-to-find. That is the whole point of many sellers’ complaints regarding Amazon’s price fixing.
The purpose of a marketplace is to make items available for sale. Amazon used to be the place to find almost anything that you could not find anywhere else - the world’s LARGEST marketplace. They did not get where they are by saying they were the world’s CHEAPEST marketplace.
I agree with Skeeter. Amazon will soon be comparable to a dollar store. If you want cheap - go to Amazon. If you are looking for things that are hard to find and quality - go elsewhere.