user profile
Sign in
user profile

How many FBA sellers are registering for sales tax in all fba states?

by Seller_vVd1bWm3E084w

How many sellers are registering for all fba states?

Tags: Registration
100 replies
100 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_yKsH1VcZkLlOV
In reply to: Seller_vVd1bWm3E084w's post

also you can ask… who know how to register for all fba states? information is so limited 99.9% have no clue of how to do it, is not about if you don’t want to, is about most don’t know how.

user profile
Seller_qu5sni5sssmqj

That’s a creative way to start another sales tax thread. The issue has been dormant here for a while.

Not all FBA states are militant about the nexus issue…registering or not is an individual business decision for each seller…California is on the verge of passing Marketplace Facilitator Legislation and its new Treasurer believes very strongly that having inventory in a CA FBA Fulfillment Center is not a nexus creating event. If they set this precedent it will establish law that can be used to fight this issue against other states in court.

Economic Nexus is another matter…if you meet the threshold in states with economic nexus legislation in place your only hope for not having to register in them is if they also pass marketplace facilitator legislation.

user profile
Seller_ujScHTwvcsrwf

amazon is collecting tax on my behalf for states other than my own.

I am collecting and remitting taxes for my state sales only.

user profile
Seller_oyPTGTASJ1pI3

I use Tax Jar to help me out with nexus issues, and have registered in 18 states thus far.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

Any hint of back sales taxes and they are wrong on the 3 points of SCOTUS Wayfair ruling. But for all those that are afraid, look out for the states starting ask about income taxes.

user profile
Seller_jiz6PNfRengel

We are registered in every state considered a nexus for us. At last count that was 38 or so. We use Tax Jar to help us collect and pay.

user profile
Seller_vV0eX3p5UTNxr

Lawmakers and the courts have no idea who this impacts the most. I only report for my state and I am required to do that monthly. If I had to report sales tax monthly for 50 states (assuming all are the same but I know they are not) that’s 600 transactions a year. I don’t have the time or the funds to be able to do it myself or pay yet another subscription service fee I am nowhere near big enough to make that a possibility. I agree that the online sales tax system is broken in a way but going after each individual small time startup seller is impractical.

user profile
Seller_UJmgY6muShUdF

Has anyone heard of online merchant guild?

user profile
Seller_cdz1cxfLiz7bM

The way the laws read in most states is clear - if you have inventory in their state you have nexus. Some are commenting that registering for these states will trigger back taxes owed. But if you don not register they can still come after you and my feeling is that registering is the legal and right thing to do, if you have nexus. It’s a real PIA and there are all sorts of questions and issues but TaxJar does make it easier to manage the numbers. The danger of not registering is that the longer you do not collect and remit the more you will owe if you ever DO get discovered. The states are getting data from Amazon as to whom has inventory in their state (I know this for a fact as it happened to me) so NOT collecting just puts you in a position of higher liability - more every day you don’t comply. I am complying now and voluntarily. In my view that puts me in a better position than not complying at all.

user profile
Seller_K4UbpjkFJIkZa

Get an accoutant…sign up for taxjar…end of story.

Go to original post