How do I upload items with 14 digit GTIN number?

I am attempting to upload items with valid 14 digit GTINs and Amazon is not accepting it as the code is 1 byte over the limit. Does anyone know if the problem may be that the items I am trying to upload qualify for a UPC exemption?

You can’t. You need a upc. Amazon’s system can only handle upc or ean (or isbn in books). Any other type will get rejected by the system.

And Amazon is phasing out upc exemptions, so that’s not the solution.

Buy some upc codes.

Thanks!

Problem is, these items are already being sold on Amazon. They are manufactured by a large manufacturer and we are selling them on Amazon. Should we be buying unique UPC codes even though these are existing products? How did the other sellers possibly get them up on Amazon if the only code the manufacturer provides is a 14 digit GTIN?

If the products are already existing, you need to add yours to one of those ASINs if your item exactly matches one of them.

Thanks.

Tried that. The items return errors because the UPC we provide does not match the listings already in Amazon. And to manually list my own product for each item would take days - there are over 1,500 parent products we are trying to get up.

I’m not sure how to get around this- the GTIN code the manufacturer provides is not accepted by Amazon. The file we upload to Amazon returns failed listings for each item. Anyone else have this experience?

I’ve never run into the problem while using the “have one to sell” or the “sell yours here” button or whatever they are calling it today.

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer and ask them if they assigned UPC numbers for those products.

Yes, they do not have a UPC code. The GTIN is the only identification they have for their products.

Thank you.

[quote=“Medical Scrubs Collection”]
Thanks.
Tried that. The items return errors because the UPC we provide does not match the listings already in Amazon. And to manually list my own product for each item would take days - there are over 1,500 parent products we are trying to get up.

I’m not sure how to get around this- the GTIN code the manufacturer provides is not accepted by Amazon. The file we upload to Amazon returns failed listings for each item. Anyone else have this experience?If you are adding an offer to a listing that’s already on Amazon, you do NOT put anything in the UPC/EAN slot since there is already something there. Just add your offer if it matches exacty. Of course if you try to join a listing and you supply a different UPC it’s going to kick out. Just put in your price and possibly a bullet point description if anything is lacking.

Are the scrubs in the apparel category?

If so, are you approved to sell in clothing? It’s a restricted category.

That’s more likely to be your problem. Otherwise all you need to list is the ASIN off the existing page. Creating a duplicate listing would be a violation. You are required to list against the existing page.

If you are wanting to upload your products and do not have the UPC codes that were used to create the detail pages, you can use the ASIN in the file instead.

Instead of putting the UPC # and “UPC” in those 2 columns, put the ASIN # and “ASIN”.

I DO want to caution you before doing this. Please, please make sure, for your sake, that the ASINs that you have found are indeed the exact item (in every regard) to what you are selling.

When you find catalog pages by using your UPC, it is almost certain you are on the right page. However, when you just “find” the product through a search, more due diligence is needed.

For example, if you are selling the same generic widget as another seller, they may have packaged and branded the item as their own, bought a UPC, and created a page for it. You would not be able to list on that page.

So just be sure you look through all the product details, brand, etc for each ASIN you plan to list on to make sure yours matches exactly.

Yes, we are authorized sellers fro apparel… Thank you.

closed #12