Help! Seller Account Hacked, $86,300 sent to unknown account in Croatia

We came back from our Easter break on 18th April, and found our Amazon seller account hacked, password was changed, so, we had to use “Forgot your password” to reset our password, and once we logged in, we found the bank account was changed, and a payment of more than $86,300 was sent on 17th April to a strange bank account in Croatia, we were shocked! very very very shocked, how could this happened?

Immediately, we called SS and reported this issue, they took the details, filed a case, and did nothing else, we were very disappointed, and even angry, how could they treat sellers like this?

in the following days we called many different Amazon departments and sent over many emails to Amazon, but never got any replies, On 20th, we called the payment team, and they told us that the payment has been sucessfully transferred to Croatia account, I could not believe it, how could it happen!?, I called SS reported this problem and asked them to stop that transfer, and yet they did nothing to stop it!! The call was less than 24 hours after the initial transfer, if someone acted quicker, it could have been stopped, because international transfer will take at least 3 business days!

we continued to call and email SS, Jeff and other departments, and received no reply, but Amazon locked our account for reviewing…

and today, we are allowed back to log in again, we found the transfer was sent on the 17th to the hacker’s account in the foreign currency of HRK 580,000, THEY STOLE OUR HARD EARNED MONEY!

we are a small company, this money is very important for us, staffs are waiting to be paid, suppliers are wanting their payment, bills etc, we can not afford to lose this money, but we am running out of contacts, what can we do??

we’ve totally got beaten up by frustration, sadness and fear !

please please help ! anyone ?

I did not file any report to the US police or the FBI, as I am a UK residence

This is not true.
I wire money internationally all the time when I purchase inventory and the transfer is completed within hours and NOT 3 days.
> we continued to call and email SS, Jeff and other departments, and received no reply, but Amazon locked our account for reviewing…
>
> and today, we are allowed back to log in again, we found the transfer was sent on the 17th to the hacker’s account in the foreign currency of HRK 580,000, THEY STOLE OUR HARD EARNED MONEY!
>
> we are a small company, this money is very important for us, staffs are waiting to be paid, suppliers are wanting their payment, bills etc, we can not afford to lose this money, but we am running out of contacts, what can we do??
>
> we’ve totally got beaten up by frustration, sadness and fear !
>
> please please help ! anyone ?

Based on past threads Amazon will make you wholebut it takes awhile. Weeks to months

hi Goodseller,

each time payment from Amazon.com to our US bank account does take 3 business days to appear, or do you receive it quicker?

hi Get Cracking,

I hope that is the case with us, because some of our staffs are already wanting to leave, and suppliers are requesting payment, and I do not know what to do if we are out of that money!!

Hi Arizona Dave,

it happened on Amazon.com, but I did email to both Jeff B, and Mr Doug Gurr,
received no reply at all, as if no one cares? I hope I am wrong!

Who is Bobbies

Edited by: Daisys on Apr 24, 2017 5:20 PM

Contact the FBI internet crime division.

I personally have disbursement on Sunday night and it is in my bank on Tuesday morning. (never fails)

I think some of the time it takes for the money to appear in the bank depends on the bank.
I know that I can wire money in the morning to Hong Kong and they have it that afternoon.

This has happened to a lot of people. There is another post about his of over $100k,

Posted on: 24 Apr, 2017 10:02 AM   in response to: WeeklyCloseouts in response to: WeeklyCloseouts 	  	

Click to report abuse… Click to reply to this thread Reply
Update:

We finally received the good news today from Amazon executive seller relations team that our account has been reimbursed for the complete amount that was stolen 4 weeks ago. For any other seller that may have the misfortune of this happening to them, patience is key. Send the necessary email(s) to get Amazon working on it and trust that in time you will be made whole.

Thanks again to all who provided advice

Earlier this year, Amazon implemented a 2 step verification process when you log onto your account. They announced it in the headline section on your Seller Central page. The 2 step verification means if somebody steals your password, your seller central account will still be secure. Did you sign up for that when it was implemented?

What did the Police Department or Federal law enforcement authorities tell you when you called them to report it?

Did this happen on Amazon.com or Amazon.uk ?

What about contacting the Bobbies and ask them who you should be reporting it to?

You almost certainly incorrect that Amazon doesn’t care - as other have noted, this typically takes some time, unfortunately; it may be reassuring to know that recent interviews with Amazon execs here in the colonies States have invariably made mention of Amazon’s determination to make hacked sellers whole (apparently even if a seller’s actions, or lack thereof, are actually at fault rather than Amazon being hacked themselves).

The fact that you’ve mentioned your account is currently locked for review is a good sign, judging from what’s been reported by others who’ve gone through this (such as @WeeklyCloseouts, whose similar thread you posted in asking for advice on how to proceed; this is one of the recent ones I mentioned earlier, and it may be of some comfort to know that their problem was resolved in less time than similar situations that occurred only a month prior - amazon appears to be getting quicker at resolving problems like this).
>
> Who is Bobbies

That’s what we Yanks call English police, and/or Scotland Yard. Have you investigated what reporting facilities are available for this type of thing in the United Kingdom?
>
> Edited by: Daisys on Apr 24, 2017 5:20 PM

I’m very sorry this has happened, and hope very much that it’ll get sorted quickly. Best of luck to you, and please don’t hesitate to ask if there are other questions.

P.S. - it might not hurt to contact law enforcement both here and abroad, imho.

If you have business insurance, and you should if you sell on Amazon, contact them. We are insured against many types of fraud and lost or stolen income. Insurance companies do not like to take this kind of a loss and have connections to law enforcement you don’t. So at least report it. And do what others have said here., and report it to all authorities. This is not a small crime.

In the meantime you are going to have the stall your suppliers and employees or find money to keep them happy until you get this fixed. It takes awhile

hi Living in a Van,

I will file a report to the FBI online

thanks for the link

Really. The Bobbies are the British police.

the cops here in England? but it happened on Amazon.com, shouldnt I be contacting the US police instead?

This happened to us but we were able to change back our bank info before the disbursement. I cannot understand why Amazon does not send an email notifying that banking info has changed. They DO send a Performance Notification but if the hacker is already in your account they can just wait and acknowledge it so the “red flag” goes away. There has been a lot of bank account hacking lately leading me to believe that it is not the Seller who is at fault.

Could you share the name of this type of insurance that covers disruption of income due to fraud?