user profile
Sign in
user profile

HELP! I clicked on a link from a buyer's message yesterday and this morning I have purchases on my credit card

by Seller_6RpJt8838QPPi

I’m freaking out.

I never believed in those hacking stories but now it seems it just happened to me.

Yesterday around 11pm I got a message from a buyer asking that I check a picture attached.
I had never sold anything to this person. It was a “Return policy inquiry from Amazon customer”.

It was not a link per say. It was just a .jpg picture attached to the message.

Now I can’t tell for sure if that is related but this morning, someone bought a 2000$ computer using my credit card on Bestbuy.

I went into my BestBuy account and could see the shipping address was changed as well. So I might have the scammer’s name and address.

I have changed my password on my banking account, Amazon account, e-mail account, BestBuy account was terminated.

What else do you think I should do?

Should I call the police and explain the situation and give them the delivery address of the 2000$ computer from BestBuy?

Moderator Edit (Ricardo_Mod_Amazon): removed external URL

Tags: Address, Bank account, Credit card, Policy
126 replies
126 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_QVOKhsH8UQsax
In reply to: Seller_6RpJt8838QPPi's post

Call the credit card

user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

Malkavian…

All credit card companies have a fraud division oh, they’re usually open 24 hours, to take complaints…

You can try to make a police report to your local police department, but many times especially if you live in a big city like Los Angeles, they either refuse, or tell you they’re going to do nothing about it… They might take a complaint just to a appease you…

Here the LAPD will just tell you they have more important crimes to investigate???

I would look on the internet I believe that there is a form you can fill out , they’re Federal … And if they have enough of that activity they might be able to get involved…

If you believe you’re a victim of internet fraud or cyber crime, report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). Or, you can use the FBI’s online tips form. Your complaint will be forwarded to federal , state, local, or international law enforcement. You will also need to contact your credit card company…

The other thing is they could possibly also have installed some malware on your computer… You might want to run a virus scan… get rid of those potential keystroke loggers…

user profile
Seller_6RpJt8838QPPi

Do you guys suspect it’s related to the .jpg attachement I clicked yesterday?

Or is it just some guy that managed to get into my BesyBuy account at about the same time and it’s just a coincidence?

user profile
Seller_NedDESxCGw9f6

Call your credit card company and or go online and file a fraud claim…its fairly simple doing it online…

user profile
Seller_aXPrQP2TvgCMN

Viruses can’t come through jpg’s like that. The two events are not related.

user profile
Seller_NxQTyL4zOqAYv

Contact your police department with all this information. And for the record you certainly can get a virus or malware from clicking on a picture.

In the future do not respond to anything that says it is from one of your Amazon customers unless it is in your Amazon messages.

user profile
Seller_2HsgfJ3Q9ura2

contact your credit card issue and state a fraudulent purchase. And request for a brand new card with NEW number be issued immediately.

user profile
Seller_qu5sni5sssmqj

If the message was from an Amazon buyer as you state then it would have come through the Amazon messaging system and it seems highly unlikely that phishing emails would have made it through that system.

user profile
Seller_JCqbXUeHNoJiE

Put a fraud alert on all 3 credit reporting agencies, Transunion, Experion and Equifax.

user profile
Seller_634j8hPZSE44W

If you have web access to you account, place a dispute on the transaction just to get the issue tagged by the system. This way it alerts the fraud department. Then follow up with an email and phone call.

Go to original post