user profile
Sign in
user profile

Head scratcher

by Seller_wUy1i1ZIDxZlX

Pretty sure that this is some sort of scam. Looking for theories.

So in the wee hours of the morning, 12 orders are placed for the exact same item(Orders placed within seconds of each other at 2am). It is an item that typically sells one unit every 14 days.

The buyer names are different on all orders. Though the buyer names are all different, 8 of the orders ship to the exact same address, with different ship to names, that do not match the buyer names. 4 of the other orders ship to other destinations around the country.

One week later, a person that receives one of these packages, Googles our store name, calls and informs me that she has no idea why or how this got ordered. She also informs that the address used was a previous address from 5 years ago, where she moved from a few doors down. The current addressee forwarded the package by hand.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

CL

Tags: Address
37 replies
37 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_jglZowc8rO988
In reply to: Seller_wUy1i1ZIDxZlX's post

Get ready for a lot of negative feedback or complaints about authenticity.

Somebody has set out to damage your account.

Gather your invoices.

I think I would notify seller-performance of my suspicions and try to get out in front of it before the reports come in.

user profile
Seller_wUy1i1ZIDxZlX

They have had a solid 10 days to feedback bomb if that were the intent. Crickets so far.

I have been at this for 20 years on Amazon. I have dabbled in high risk categories, but have settled into the low risk category of grocery. It is hard to argue a counterfeit can of Bumble bee Tuna. That is not the item in question, but it is close enough.

Presumably, an IP or feedback attack would not involve shipping to randos.

After 20 years, I thought I had seen it all. This one does not add up

user profile
Seller_wUy1i1ZIDxZlX

I have seen more than my fair share of scams, being an internet user and Amazon seller all these years, but the scam usually follows some sort of logic. If I could understand the angle, I could move on about my day.

The angle eludes me.

user profile
Seller_m1kvtRZcQzPyz

Maybe someone loves tuna so much they just want to send it to people across the country. I for one hate tuna lol

user profile
Seller_Rpvmy4Xw96KBw

I feel like I read this in the news about buyers getting Amazon packages they didn’t order. The scam is known as “brushing.” -I just googled it.

Are you the only seller on the items?

I don’t think it really affects your seller account, unless there’s chargebacks…but I also imagine there’s a hundred different scam scenarios with your situation.

user profile
Seller_hidWuPpZSBcZa

I had someone do this to me with 4 orders, all within a minute, all to the same address, all with slight variations of the same name. As soon as they got them, they sent in 4 authenticity complaints. Based on the name/s of the addressee, it was a competitor selling on the same listing. I had a friend of mine order one of his units, and his were 100% no question counterfeit. I ended up eventually getting my name cleared, but it was a pain.

user profile
Seller_wUy1i1ZIDxZlX

Buy box, yes, but not the only seller. I will look into whether or not I have been “brushed”

user profile
Seller_wUy1i1ZIDxZlX

I want to float the notion that this is perhaps a testing of stolen credit cards. This is the wife’s theory, flimsy as all the rest.

user profile
Seller_VWSJO5RpsXV0G

This is Pure Brushing Scam, they are playing by the box, usually it happens a lot around Christmas, when the metrics are low.

1- Are you an international seller ?
2- Is it high value items ?

other scenario it could be the buyer her CC is stolen, and has nothing to do with you.

“She also informs that the address used was a previous address from 5 years ago, where she moved from a few doors down. The current addressee forwarded the package by hand.”

this right here is what’s telling me it has to do with the lady that is claiming she moved few doors down.

Short answer you have to report it to seller performance.

That’s my two cents.

user profile
Seller_kGII02DiKWQhr

We have this happening with trading cards. The recipient contacts us and they did not place the order. Someone got their information, created a new account in their name, purchased an item (probably with a gift card), placed an order and had shipped to “someone”. Where they are getting the names, addresses, phone numbers is anyone’s guess. Maybe they have access to a data base, who knows. This fraudster just wants to cause problems. All you can do is report the incident to Amazon, ask the recipient to contact Amazon and ask to check on their account and if there is a second account in their name. Be sure that the customer has Amazon’s Order Number when they call them. Keep good records and report.

Go to original post