GS1 and barcode purchasing

Totally confused. I am researching to acquire a UPC code for my product. I have read all over that you can get UPCs from a variety of places, even eBay, for a very nominal cost, a few dollars. But recommended is to go through GS1, which, as I understand it, Amazon now requires.

So I am on the GS1 website reading about getting my UPC, and you have to set up a company prefix first, and know the number of products you have now, and estimate how many you may have in the future. The number of potential products affects the length of your company prefix.

Anyway in the calculator estimator, I enter “100” products to leave room for the future, and it tells me the initial fee is $750, and an annual fee of $250. WTF?

I then adjusted that to just my one product now, and it still says an initial fee of $250 and an annual fee os $50. WTF?

Is this true? What am I missing? I don’t understand this. All the forums and articles online say that barcodes are, like a few dollars. Someone please help me understand what the heck this is all about. Thank you!

No, amazon does not require GS1. They recommend it, but do not require it.
> So I am on the GS1 website reading about getting my UPC, and you have to set up a company prefix first, and know the number of products you have now, and estimate how many you may have in the future. The number of potential products affects the length of your company prefix.
>
> Anyway in the calculator estimator, I enter “100” products to leave room for the future, and it tells me the initial fee is $750, and an annual fee of $250. WTF?
>
> I then adjusted that to just my one product now, and it still says an initial fee of $250 and an annual fee os $50. WTF?
Right. GS1 does not sell bar codes, they just lease them so there is a yearly fee. And they are very expensive.
> Is this true? What am I missing? I don’t understand this. All the forums and articles online say that barcodes are, like a few dollars. Someone please help me understand what the heck this is all about. Thank you!
Go to an online bar code selling website and buy a few. There are several online sellers. I use Speedy Barcodes, but others have their preferences. I would not buy from an Ebay seller, but many people do.

There is a lot of history with bar codes, but in a nutshell any barcodes created before August 28, 2002 are owned and can be sold (there are millions of them). Any after that are owned by GS1 and cannot be sold - they have to be leased from GS1. When you buy a bar code online you are buying one of those earlier barcodes and it is perfectly legal.

If you are interested, here is the detail on the bar code thing:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3808514

If you are the manufacturer of these products, you probably want to register and obtain official GS1 UPC codes.

If not, you can purchase them on eBay. I recently received another 500 for $8.99.

Search for: +Leading Edge Codes+

They also sell smaller quantities.

Funky

Thank you, all, for the replies. I could have sworn Amazon was requiring GS1 but now I could never find the page where I thought i read that. Anyway, I am doing a private label so GS1 is probably the safest and only option for myself. I guess I don’t understand the annual fee costs? Do they have some kind of monopoly on the barcode industry? Why aren’t they like domain names which are $10.

Furthermore, you have to decide how many barcodes you will need, from now into perpetuity, like NOW. I don’t understand that. I may only have 10 products, but what if, in 5 years, I go to that 11th product? That screws up their whole numbering system, because you have to decide that up front, like, right now (company prefix + 00, 000, 0000, number of products). And if you leave room for the future potentiality of having 10+ products, then you have to pay for that up front, hundreds of dollars more now, when you don’t know if that will happen. This seems incredibly stupid. This all seems incredibly tedious and as if, as if no one thought it through. Again, I’m new to this, so I’m a newbie just trying to understand.

You’re welcome.

The first 6-digits are permanently assigned to your company name. It’s a big deal, so I expect you have to pay for it.

Create Barcodes and U.P.C.s with the GS1 US Get Started Guide

https://www.gs1us.org/upcs-barcodes-prefixes/get-started-guide?gclid=cijwypjc19ecfre2waodpmqfhg

Funky

I don’t think you need to go to GS1. The UPCs you buy online will be yours - you own them. Unless you plan on becoming a household name with a large corporate presence then just buy some UPC codes from a reputable seller and forget about GS1. The original company assignment in the GS1 database means nothing. In fact, if you have your own brand and register it with Amazon you don’t even need a UPC.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/201440080

For obvious reasons Apple or Walmart would not want a bar code originally assigned to Bob’s Widget Shop in 1995, but most people would not care. You could always --buy-- lease new UPCs from GS1 when you become a mega-corp.

GS1 charges as much as they do because they can. They own the UPC algorithm and have large corporations over a barrel.

From Amazon’s page entitled " [Product UPCs and GTINs|https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help.html/ref=ag_200317470_bred_200494020?ie=UTF8&itemID=200317470] "

Valid UPCs

We verify the authenticity of product UPCs by checking the GS1 database. UPCs that do not match the information provided by GS1 will be considered invalid. We recommend obtaining your UPCs directly from GS1 (and not from other third parties selling UPC licenses) to ensure the appropriate information is reflected in the GS1 database.

Important: All invalid product UPC listings will be removed and may result in your ASIN creation or selling privileges being temporarily or permanently removed. For more information on licensing UPCs from GS1, see the [GSI standard website|https://www.gs1us.org/]

So I guess that answers that question once and for all. Unless Amazon changes their TOS on the matter in the future.

Sigh. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The quoted Amazon help files do NOT “answer that question once and for all.” And by the way, those paragraphs are NOT Amazon TOS - they are part of the help files.

Read those help files for what they ACTUALLY SAY, not for what you want them to say, think they say, or aught to say:

• Amazon does not require GS1 UPCs. They only “recommend” them.
  • UPCs must be in the GS1 database - that is true, but what you do not know is that all the pre August 2002 UPCs are also in the GS1 database. That is because GS1’s parent organization, UCC, was dissolved and became GS1 when they decided to stop selling UPCs and lease them instead. But the old purchased UCC UPCs are still in the database and still valid.
    All those pre- August 2002 UPCs are still perfectly valid. The warning against invalid UPCs are for people who try to make up fake GS1 or UCC UPCs. It is not aimed at people who are using valid UCC UPCs.

Add to this the fact that tens of thousands of sellers on Amazon, including myself, use purchased UCC UPC codes with no problems.

h3. {color:#FF0000}NECROTHREAD{color}
You’re joking right?

It is impolite to resurrect, then hijack some else’s question, especially when the issue occurred months ago.

If you have a question or want to start a discussion, open your own Thread.

Funky

I am a sole trader manufacturer in Australia and all this barcode stuff is caving my head in.
Sure, GS1 is the ideal way to go but my pocket has convinced me to seek out a less expensive alternative.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable company to buy and ‘register’ a few barcode numbers. I added ‘register’ so that Amazon can be directed to a database to verify the authenticity of my barcodes.
I just need the barcode images so that my new label printed doesn’t become a paper weight.
I have to go down the barcode trail because GTIN Exemption and brand registry are not available for Amazon Australia.
Thanks in advance good people.

Edited by: TERMALERT on Dec 10, 2017 3:48 PM

The initial GS1 fee stinks.

I am doing this as a manufacturer.

I bought UPC codes at first from one of those resellers. Problem is that when a company like Amazon or Sears checks it against the GS1 database, the company doesn’t match. I have not run into problems with items being pulled from sites.

But our products looked like they were made by the Georgia Peach something or another. And another was a chili pepper company.

We eventually felt that was not a good look for us so we bit the bullet.

We started off with a 1-100 package. They do allow you to “get more prefixes” later should you expand. There doesn’t appear to be an additional “Initial Fee” for this.

Company closing down, want to sell my 10K UPC codes
Company closing down, want to sell my 10K UPC codes

Skip GS1.
>
> Anyway in the calculator estimator, I enter “100” products to leave room for the future, and it tells me the initial fee is $750, and an annual fee of $250. WTF?
>
> I then adjusted that to just my one product now, and it still says an initial fee of $250 and an annual fee os $50. WTF?
>
> Is this true? What am I missing? I don’t understand this. All the forums and articles online say that barcodes are, like a few dollars. Someone please help me understand what the heck this is all about. Thank you!
Amazon does NOT require GS1 UPCs!! Read the notice that Amazon posts when you try to list a new product and read it for what it says. What Amazon requires is that the UPCs you use be in the GS1 database. All those older legitimate UPCs you can buy 3rd party are in that database. They were left over from GS1’s predecessor UCC, were kept in GS1’s database when they were formed, and are valid.

I just created three new products last week with 3rd party UPCs and they worked fine.

I use Speedy Barcodes. If you catch them in a special you can get 1-10 barcodes (or hundreds) very cheaply. I would not buy from Ebay, they are just too iffy in my opinion.

No one can re-register any 3rd party barcodes in their name because GS1 will not do it - they want people to lease new barcodes for a fortune. But those barcodes are nevertheless in the GS1 database because they were carried forward from UCC, GS1’s predecessor, and can be used on Amazon to list products.

Grrr. You should not have resurrected this old thread. People waste time re-answering the same question. Next time just ask your question in a new post. Sh3eesh.

“The validity of a Product ID is checked against the GS1 GEPIR and ISBN.org databases. If your Product ID is not registered with GS1 then the linked ASIN will be suppressed and it may result in removal of your product creation privileges.”

For once, amazon is pretty clear about which barcodes are required…

So reading this thread has alleviated the initial monopolistic aggression that I feel I share with other sellers. But after buying an operating with a block of 1000 barcodes sold on ebay for $0.79 for some years now. The “conform or else” warning begs the question.

How can I tell if my barcodes are valid. IE from the pre 2002 issued barcodes that are present in GS1 DB?

After all the amazon black list is not something to play with. And the ambiguity of amazon “help” files leave much to the imagination…

WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP POSTING THIS INCORRECT INFORMATION!!

That statement by Amazon requires that UPCs be in the GS1 database, not that you have to buy those UPC codes from GS1. Those two things are NOT THE SAME. All legacy UCC codes that you buy 3rd party are in the GS1 database. You don’t believe me? Go to GS1 and look up one of your old UPCs. It will be there.

UCC was the precursor of GS1, and GS1 included all the legacy UCC codes in their database.

This is the third time you have posted your incorrect interpretation as fact.

Do I understand right that if I’m a Company A from California and I bought the 3-d party codes that in the GS1 database belong to Company XYZ from Michigan - it’s not a problem at all?

Thanks.

It is fine. If someone looks that UPC up on the GS1 site it will show it was originally assigned to the Michigan company, but if you don’t care it doesn’t matter.

Thank you, Red Wing, your info are very helpful to this UPC confusing matters.

To your knowledge, is there a way to tell if a UPC is from pre-2002 registered UPC code or afterwards leased by GS1?

So in your theory, when Amazon verifies, it only cares if a UPC code was registered in GS1 DB or not, it doesn’t care if the registered company in GS1 DB matches the newly created product brand name? If that’s true, then the checking is almost useless to even prove the user has owned that code authoritatively. Because everybody can use some UPC code generator to generate some code and then check against GS1 DB first to find out which ones belong to a registered company, then those code can be used to create new product and pass verification as long as it hasn’t had a product with same code in Amazon system already. Do you know what I mean?

thanks