user profile
Sign in
user profile

Got a rejection on my Amazon Handmade application?!?!?! Was NOT expecting that

by Seller_NAju8ZWJElR4E

So, I applied for the Amazon Handmade section and as requested by the application I sent along examples of the items I make. I do custom woodworking and design and currently am selling a line of boardgames based on ancient games from cultures of the past, i.e. Ancient Egypt, India, Mesopotamia, etc…
These are loosely based on ancient designs, archeological examples and cultural art of the time.

I am the ONLY person making what I sell. I am the ONLY designer, ONLY builder and do everything myself, quite literally a one man operation.

I originally wanted to sell them through my normal selling account but none of what I make has a UPC or anything like that and I don’t have a registered trademark so I can’t even apply for a UPC exemption. Due to what I sell and how I design and make it myself it just makes sense to sell in the Amazon Handmade section.

From the tone of the letter and the additional information that they want for an appeal it seems as if the consensus is that my work is too intricate to be handmade by one person. Although I guess I should take this as a compliment, it doesn’t change the fact that I am having to jump through hoops now to wait what they say will be an additional 15 days or more to hear back about my appeal. When in the meantime a quick browse in the Amazon Handmade section shows me several items that I am absolutely sure are not handmade by those that are selling them as they are items that I have seen for sale throughout the net being sold by many different people on several different websites.

I’m just very frustrated that I have to prove to someone that I make my items myself when there are so many who were approved who clearly do not.

I have attached an example of one of the many games that I make, in this case the ancient Egyptian game of Mehen. This particular one is the highest grade version that I offer, called the “Pharoah’s Edition”. You will not find anyone else online selling this particular game but me. I designed everything you see myself, make it here in my workshop in my house and have never distributed the designs or anything else involved to any other manufacturer.

I honestly was not expecting a rejection as I figured that I am quite literally the kind of artist/maker that Amazon Handmade was designed for. I certainly hope they accept the appeal.

Tags: Registration
133 replies
133 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_oCtnPXNp3DzrQ
In reply to: Seller_NAju8ZWJElR4E's post

A trademark is probably a worthwhile investment for you. You’re making extraordinary items; you should protect them from counterfeiting.

You can file your own trademark at USPTO if you spend a half a day working through the process; it’s not terribly difficult. Or you can expedite Brand Registry by paying one of Amazon’s vetted lawyers to file for you. Either way, you should protect yourself.

user profile
Seller_wCglRGzmL6Y0J
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

Wow, that’s beautiful. You are a genuine artist craftsman. I can understand why they think it cannot be handmade.

I’m not going to tell you how to run your business, but I am not sure Amazon is a good fit for you. Their very liberal returns policy and unrelenting customer-focus means it is possible, if not likely, to lose one of these to a bad customer.

user profile
Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND

Wow what an exquisite piece of artwork, you are a very gifted artist. I would love to own one of your game sets, perfect Christmas gift. I love beautiful unique board games. Sorry you are having to deal with amazon being so ridiculous, their screening process baffles my brain, your handmade product should be welcomed with open arms but yet they approve thousands of junk Chinese sellers. Surely photos of the games in various stages of being crafted should suffice?
I you will be selling on Amz for Christmas, please keep us posted.

user profile
Seller_68yMtLxiEuSme

You are a true craftsman in every way.

It would help if you could post the text of the rejection/appeal notice you got (with personal info redacted of course). Then we could possibly understand better what they are looking for or why they think your item it mass produced. Applying to Handmade you would think would be simple, but Amazon can make anything complicated. I’m sure if you’re patient you will eventually be approved.

I don’t want to discourage you, but be aware that within a short period of time some seller from a far away land will probably copy your great work and try to sell the knockoffs for $19.95 As was mentioned above this is not a friendly marketplace at all. We are lucky to have a product that costs less than a dollar to produce, so losing a few to customer claims won’t hurt us much but your work is of the quality and value that some nefarious person will most likely try to take advantage of you to get one of your marvelous works for free - just be careful here and price accordingly.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Let me join the other admirers of your work. It is far superior to most of what is on Handmade and closer to Amazon’s hope for what would be sold.

You opinion about your immunity from copying appears right on.

Only on Amazon could a craftsman so well in keeping with the goals of a program be rejected.

@SEAmod could you have a look at this artisan’s work and tickle someone in approvals.

user profile
Seller_la6yWqhB9Jzwb

You are, great stuff.

A word of caution should your appeal work: Do not start with items this high of a price point. Start with your under-$100 sellers until you get your feet wet. Spend the interim time understanding return policies, A2Z claims, etc.

I’d hate to see you list a $500 game set, then have a return request come in on Jan30 for “not as described” and have to send them a prepaid return label to get back a junked up, used, damaged version of your game and fight over paltry restocking fees.

That is the worst case scenario, but it’s far easier to deal with on a $50 item than a $500 on that took you hours to make.

user profile
Seller_4AeEwwO98uS9V

wow, this is amazing. Truly. Good luck.

user profile
Seller_x4g0eSmHxF6SD

I, too, love your work – tried to locate you on Etsy and Ebay but no luck. Have you sold out for the moment? If so, I would love to get pics of the items you make and get on a waiting list for when you catch up!

Moderator edit(Ale_Amazon): Removed personal information.

user profile
Seller_uPXKEZAdYjLr8

I have to agree with the others, just put your lower priced or less time consuming works here.
Also, for toys, there are policies where you need documentation that they are safe.
Be sure when you list that you put them as adult only.

Go to original post