Getting approved to sell t shirts?

So I’ve hit some roadblocks (as many people have!) on setting up my Amazon Seller Central for my screen printed T-shirt company. I was hoping to get some clarification on a few things. I want to put my best foot forward as I apply to sell shirts!

First question: Must the packaging for each t-shirt be branded with my logo? Currently, my packages are clear plastic bags that leave the shirt and its design very visible. Is this sufficient?

Second question: UPC codes. I understand that this is a barcode used to keep track of inventory. Logistically speaking, how to I apply the bar codes to my products? Could I place a sticker with the barcode on each shirt package?

Last question: I understand that I should have an online store with some sort of cart and checkout feature. Would a Shopify or Squarespace store qualify?

I understand that there are a few hoops to jump through before I can sell shirts on Amazon, which is fine, but I want to increase my chances of getting accepted. My shirts are brand new.

No, unless you are sending them to FBA for fulfillment–then they have to be bagged with a suffocation warning–see FBA help for specifics.

> Second question: UPC codes. I understand that this is a barcode used to keep track of inventory. Logistically speaking, how to I apply the bar codes to my products? Could I place a sticker with the barcode on each shirt package?
>

Yes–but you will need a separate UPC for every size/color variation.

> Last question: I understand that I should have an online store with some sort of cart and checkout feature. Would a Shopify or Squarespace store qualify?
>

Yes, but there are less expensive ways to go if you’re just looking for a site for category approval–do a search on here for other options.

> I understand that there are a few hoops to jump through before I can sell shirts on Amazon, which is fine, but I want to increase my chances of getting accepted. My shirts are brand new.

Well good luck–selling apparel on Amazon (or the net overall) is a challenge–remember, people like to try clothes on before they buy and every return will cost you a return service fee by Amazon–make sure you factor that into your business plans–returns on clothing can run as high as 15%.

If you are applying for Brand Registry along with category approval, you need branded packaging and product.
Advantage of Brand Registry is you can assign a model number to your stock instead of purchasing UPC codes.

But then applying for apparel approval is a separate step. Getting Brand approval does not automatically give you category approval

> Second question: UPC codes. I understand that this is a barcode used to keep track of inventory. Logistically speaking, how to I apply the bar codes to my products? Could I place a sticker with the barcode on each shirt package?
>

You have to have a UPC code to LIST the product unless you are Brand Registered.
If you decide to use FBA, each package will need an FNSKU or a UPC code applied to the packaging, and as Starving stated, must have a bag with a suffocation warning if bag opening is more than 5 inches.

> Last question: I understand that I should have an online store with some sort of cart and checkout feature. Would a Shopify or Squarespace store qualify?
>

Any store with a shopping cart is fine. When I got approval I used a free eCrater storefront.

> I understand that there are a few hoops to jump through before I can sell shirts on Amazon, which is fine, but I want to increase my chances of getting accepted. My shirts are brand new.

Not too hard as long as you know and follow policies and your designs are not counterfeit. Apparel is REALLY STRICT on the white background and photo size and quality rules. So make sure your images comply.

Welcome to the jungle. Selling t-shirts on Amazon is the most difficult, time consuming, and frustrating thing I have ever done in my life.

closed #5