Get Boxes

This is what we do. Most of our books ship just fine in the water-resistant bubble mailers from Sam’s. We keep a Sam’s membership mostly for our shipping supplies and get them in 2-3 sizes. If a book is a paperback that needs support to keep from bending, we throw in a piece or two of cardboard. We also keep one or two boxes on hand in case a book won’t fit in the bubble mailer, but we can get those almost anywhere, and we don’t use them often enough to worry too much about the cost of them. Especially since if we need a box, it is usually for something pricey enough to justify a higher cost to ship. Not always, but usually.

We stay away from Uline for the same reasons. My husband is in the process of folding the pages of the last catalogue they sent us so it will look like a Christmas tree . . . .

We are grateful to Uline, as the stacked quarterly catalogs hold our office television just high enough above the center surround sound speaker that goes in the middle, as to not block the remote from working. That is about all Uline is good for. We were so annoyed by the fact they went political in their catalog, that we almost added every business in our commercial building just to waste their money on catalogs (as the mail drop is in our office), but decided that would not send the same message of simply not buying anything ever again.

They are also at Costco. I use them to pack up my donations and discards

That product as well as poly-backed (water proof) kraft paper is available outside Amazon for much less. I am aware of companies offering 500ft 24" rolls with poly backing for $25.00 plus shipping. It is okay to shop around, and free shipping isn’t always the best deal.

Uline is very good for fast but costly shipping.

What you recommend there is in keeping with Amazon’s requirement to use new packing materials. But falls short of “new shipping/packing materials intended for packing items like yours.”

Moreover, every single person who gets a book wrapped that way will assume it is a used grocery bag.

This does not create a good impression, and your book has just got off to a bad start. You have predisposed the buyer to not like what they receive.

And of course, if you used nothing else, there’s zero protection.

The other consideration is the weight of the book. I’ve had instances where the regional a price was $1 more than media mail. Since I used the regional box I didn’t need to buy a box

I actually found that Walmart has the cheapest boxes, but they do not stock boxes of all sizes.
I also stocked some Flat Rate Priority Envelops and Boxes, plus the Regional Boxes A and B. They are sometimes cheaper than Media Mail if shipping destination is near.
A lot of sellers ship books in a mailer. I always put extra protection before inserting the book in a mailer. I collect cardboards from Sam’s Club when I shop there. I bought books from some of the megasellers like Thriftbooks and Goodwillbooks, and they always insert the book in a flimsy envelop/mailer without any extra protection.

@alleykatchiro

I’m with the bookworm on this point. And in the Age of COVID, the sight would gross me out and I would probably refuse delivery. Same with the suggestion above to re-purpose grocery store produce boxes.

You know that the Kraft bags are new, but the recipient does not. In business, do not underestimate the value of perception.

There is another consideration with your packaging - the tape. The paper tape is absolutely horrible. Cheap, super thin tape will actually cost you more in time than it will save you in money. Do not place label so that it is covering the box opening. This will bunch up and fold, causing less package scans in sorting facilities.

I was checking a seller’s feedback, to see why it was so low (57%), and saw this, which reminded me of your suggestion:

“it was only wrapped in a single layer of brown paper bag and arrived with the package torn. At some point someone scotch taped a rip.”

I think you’re better off with at least cardboard or A-flute.