user profile
Sign in
user profile

Four additional product listing attributes will be mandatory in December

by News_Amazon

From December 1, 2022, new and existing product listings for certain product types must include color name, size name, product description and department name attributes. This change ensures that your listings contain relevant information that customers need.

Attributes will change from optional to required for the following product types:

• Color name: SHIRT, SWEATSHIRT, SPORTING_GOODS, PANTS, COAT, SWIMWEAR, SWEATER, VEST, SHORTS
  • Size name: SHIRT, SWEATSHIRT, COAT, PANTS
  • Product description: HOME, CURTAIN, RUG, BLANKET, HOBBIES, TOOLS, SPORTING_GOODS, CELLULAR_PHONE_CASE, BED_LINEN_SET, AUTO_ACCESSORY, HEALTH_PERSONAL_CARE, DRINKING_CUP, HOME_BED_AND_BATH, POWERSPORTS_VEHICLE_PART, PLANT_SEED, CONSUMER_ELECTRONICS, KITCHEN_TOOLS, OUTDOOR_LIVING
  • Department name: BACKPACK

All new listings for affected product types will require a valid value for each of these four attributes or the product won’t be added to the catalog.

To ensure your existing listings for affected product types aren’t impacted, go to Manage inventory to update your attributes now.

Tags: News and Announcements
43 replies
43 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_G3tKlxqw9EUfb
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

user profile
Seller_JodrE4UL0vAPs

What product types?A really badly worded anouncement that is ambigous at best.

user profile
Seller_ro9xkiwwY4zne

I hope those categories mentioned don’t work (or not work) like the Book Category.

If so, that would be really cute, considering how much time I waste daily trying to get Seller “Support” to implement a Product Description that I have submitted, accompanied by all the proof they need.

P.S. ALL CAPS? Hard to read. And stuff like this —> HEALTH_PERSONAL_CARE, HOME_BED_AND_BATH? Harder still.

user profile
Seller_kvNmaxRRTl3MA

Oh man, it seems like I am spending a lot of time dealing with issues with Amazon right now. Maybe the folks trying to keep their jobs by initiating changes to the site can just go to the lunch room and read a nice book… I fully expect a reply saying "We’re sorry we need some additional info…

user profile
Seller_4KvKRtiA55ARd

There are already many older listings on Amazon that get search suppressed because no description was included when the listing was created years ago. This happened after Amazon made descriptions mandatory for several categories in 2020. But adding in a description so as to ‘fix’ the listing does absolutely nothing. The system doesn’t see the new description and keeps the listing suppressed and keeps prompting you to add a description.

Could you please fix that so that hundreds of thousands of listings don’t get search suppressed under these new guidelines? That helps no one – not the catalog, not buyers, not sellers.

If the system flags a listing as missing vital attributes, the system should be equipped to see when the attributes have been added in.

user profile
Seller_OChH0VD9utdxq

Are you going to be removing clothing size requirements from things that are not clothing and don’t have a “Large, XX Medium” type size? Ive had to add this to automotive parts where it does not apply. One can only speculate this is because clothing asins are sold at a 40% cut, and auto parts are a 12% cut for amazon.

On the subject of sizes… is the listing bug that keeps getting reported in the ship to amazon, where that wizard adds size information that the catalog does not recognised, is that going to be addressed passed the standard “It has been forwarded to an internal team at Ba Sing Sei.”?

user profile
Seller_oEw5wUNHgJxxP

I have to ask, are listings suppressed due to using all caps?

user profile
Seller_sNfwyhTSKGB7S

Comma separated, or underscore…? Sloppy and unclear at best.

user profile
Seller_LwUhSN3kUAXlg

Well, then, quit making me open a case every time I submit a description for a product with no description on the product page (thus suppressed), but a description showing as existing when I go to edit the products (in addition to my contribution, which is ignored because the field is locked for one of the dozen reasons that Amazon might biff a listing).

The problem with changing the rules is you need to refactor your code for every change, and since you’ve so overly-silo’d your engineering, that will never happen. Meanwhile, 1PS is not subject to the same limitations, and does not lose listings due to bugs. This, it would seem, violates anti-trust, where the rules for the carrier are different than for those paying carriage.

user profile
Seller_7HmshVVVZTsKf

So to confirm what I am reading, product description and department name is NOT needed for shirts? Clarification PLEASE.

Go to original post