FBA Rate of Returns are Out of Control, 3% FBM vs 50% FBA

Just ran order report for only 2 ASIN’s of Skinny Jeans for past 30 days for 1 style 2 Colors;

19 sold (volume not the issue here, please focus on %'s) with 6 Returns.

FBA and FBM sales - almost half; 8 of the 19 total sales for these 2 ASIN’s were thru FBM.

According to the report; 11 Sales FBA with 6 RETURNS / 8 sales FBM with 0 Returns. Same 30 day period, Same 2 ASIN’s.

The Zero FBM returns, tells me this is not a quality or sizing problem.

And this is Not a fluky one time occurrence either, this has been happening to a few other ASIN’s for most of 2016.

11 FBA Orders, 6 or 55% were Returned

8 FBM Orders, 0 or ZERO were Returned

Some responders scoff at the suggestion of competitor involvement due to “lack of volume” of sales. Too small of a store to be bothered with they’ve implied? Who Knows the Motivations of shady unethical sellers?

What I do know is this - there is an inarguable disparity in Returns rates per Channel for Same ASIN’s over Same periods. The Zero Returns on FBM Channel indicates for me at least, that this problem is not a quality or listing copy issue?

I understand this correctly…you had 267.64 in sales, via FBA, in TEN days and you believe a competitor might try to harm your business by returning items?

You wouldn’t think so would you?

for past 60 days or so its about 65 total orders on the skinny jeans - the ASIN’s at 40 to 50% returns rate.

Yes, thats correct. This period only $267, others $500 to $1000. So, you think we don’t do enough volume for a competitor to mess with us? Easier to knock out a small seller trying to get their footing that’s newer, than waiting for them to have already ramped up and now a real threat doing $10000 or more per month, wouldn’t you agree?

The items I’m addressing in this post are mainly our line of jeans. Good quality $25 bucks Not $50 or $200 premium denim, but definitely priced fairly.

Only been selling them a few months with 1 Five Star Review.

I’ve Hand Measured Every Size for Waist, Rise, Inseam and stated each in the bullets on details pages.

mine is like 8% FBA return vs 4% FBM return

I’d need to know about the return policies and overall return rates on those platforms, as well as possible listing differences, and we’re still dealing with a small sample size.

It might also be that person you bullied in 3rd grade, somebody with very short-term memory or some CIA program. As long as we’re not trying to take likelihood or motivation into account, there might be hundreds of possibilities.

Two points -

1. Your sizing is off. Look at the Amazon sizing chart to list correctly. Bullet points and written description doesn’t show up on phones. Listed size needs to be accurate.

2. FBA is free returns. What is your return policy for FBM? Do you make the customer pay for returns? Is your return address within the US? Do you charge a restocking fee?

I don’t sell in the fashion category, so I’m wondering what is the direct effect of these return on the account and the bottom line? What do these returns cost the business?

The volume is issue is more: yes, the percentage is high, but we’re talking about six returns. If you sold two items and one was returned that’s also 50%.

Not to mention that the sales are from a limited timeframe while the returns aren’t from sales from that same timeframe, unless I’m mistaken.

Two things come to mind:

1. You’re utterly depending on people to carefully read and understand the description on some of those ASINs.

+The size tag on some of our garments, depending on where manufactured, may not be most accurate for US Buyers. Size on Tags for garments from China often indicate a larger number size than would correspond with our hand measurements. Chinese sizing often 1 to sometimes 2 sizes smaller than standards in European and US made clothing. Please Refer to Actual Hand Measurements Provided in this Listing to make your correct size choice.+

1. “Free Returns”

I would be concerned about amazon allowing you to sell FBA with that high of a return rate. If you have not gotten red flags already I’m sure you will soon. Amazon heavily monitors FBA return rates for sellers. I know because I’ve had a couple items they stopped allowing us to sell FBA for having a return rate that was too high ( and it was nowhere near your return rate). We don’t selling the clothing category so I’m unsure what the normal return rate is. However we sell approx 300 units a day and have a wide selection of products and our return rate is just under 4 percent FBA and 3 percent FBM.

Your FBA return rate is significantly higher than your FBM simply due to the fact that Amazon offers free returns on clothing for any reason on FBA orders. This is a perk for buyers that want to try a few different brands and only keep the ones they like.

I know many buyers on Amazon (including myself) that say they will checkout with different brands and try them all to determine which they like best – then return the ones they do not want.

This is also probably why your other sell venues are much lower on returns – because they do not have the return friendly policy as Amazon does.

Likely the returns do not have anything to do with sizing; just those buyers that decided yours was not the better of the products they purchased to try. To verify this, check your return reasons from the [FBA Returns|https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/ssof/reports/search.html#orderAscending=&recordType=CUSTOMER_RETURNS&noResultType=&merchantSku=&fnSku=&FnSkuXORMSku=&reimbursementId=&orderId=&genericOrderId=&asin=&shipmentId=&problemType=ALL_DEFECT_TYPES&hazmatStatus=&inventoryEventTransactionType=&inventoryAdjustmentReasonGroup=&eventDateOption=1&fromDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&toDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&startDate=&endDate=&fromMonth=1&fromYear=2016&toMonth=1&toYear=2016&startMonth=&startYear=&endMonth=&endYear=] page. If you do not see issues reported on the return due to sizing, I would not worry about it.

+2. FBA is free returns. What is your return policy for FBM? Do you make the customer pay for returns? Is your return address within the US? Do you charge a restocking fee?+

Bingo

I’m going to echo what other sellers have said…it’s more likely your sizing is off. I doubt if it’s a competitor although anything is possible.

If you’re selling misses/womens skinny jeans, I will tell you that the fit is everything. We’re all shaped differently and unless someone knows how the brand fits their body, they are simply taking a chance and hoping the fit is right. I could easily see how skinny jeans would have a high return rate.

Perhaps this product is not the best to sell online? Perhaps with more detailed measurements, the return rate would decline. I don’t always read the product description, but on jeans I do look closely. I also go to the product reviews to see if buyers are saying order a size up or down or if it fits a better shape than others.

I was told that apparel has a high return rate. Period. So does electronics. I also wonder about your product line, because are not selling period. Athletic wear is booming. Do you have to do FBA? Do you have a basement or storage garage where you can keep the items? Maybe you should pull your items back into your storage?

I FBM Return past 90 Days. Zero on eBay

copied/pasted from original post - 7 day period on the jeans;

11 FBA Orders, 6 or 55% were Returned

8 FBM Orders, 0 or ZERO were Returned

Returns Policy: Seller pays return postage if item arrives damaged/defective/not as described.

“It might also be that person you bullied in 3rd grade, somebody with very short-term memory or some CIA program. As long as we’re not trying to take likelihood or motivation into account, there might be hundreds of possibilities” ???

Thanks for the response!

The product ranking has been dropping, sales gaining traction, tweaked the bullets and description and as mentioned - zero (1 since OP) FBM Returns even prior to updating listing.

Gonna let the FBA FC stock ride with the updated listing, continue to monitor the returns rates against the updated bullets/description. Will check returns again in few weeks or month to see what/if any effect on returns?

If still high, then will probably be pulling FBA stock of these jeans from FC’s

Just doesn’t make sense to me - huge disparity between returns rates of FBA vs FBM for this product/ASIN? Its the Same Item, Same Listing and Description.

“I also wonder about your product line, because are not selling period”. What chart are you looking at?

Our Athletic wear and jeans Have Been picking up, but we do have many dogs in the line leftover from pallets of Macy’s overstock/shelf pulls we bought a while back.

When you say Athletic wear is doing well, I would agree. Our name brand active leggings, yoga pants, tracksuits, etc have been selling.

Edited by: eFashion4Less on Jun 7, 2016 3:41 AM

closed #25