FBA fees being calculated wrong on media items

I just found a serious problem with the way Amazon is calculating the FBA size tier. It has to do with the order the dimensions are entered. If the thickness is not last then a 6x9x.6 book that is entered as 6x.6x9 is classified as a large item rather than small. The FBA fee increases from 2.41 to 4.18. Check ASIN 0300066422.

I have already found 14 of my skus that are not classified correctly out of about 30 I manually checked. I have thousands of sku’s in inventory. That means I could lose $1.77 on many sales. Think of the extra revenue that Amazon is receiving because of this programming error.

I am posting to let other sellers know to start checking your smaller media items to make sure the FBA fees are calculated correctly.

Mark

I sell toys, not media.

But, I do know you need to set up a procedure to track your missing reimbursements for Lost and Damaged Inventory, as well as items not returned by customers that receive refunds.

Between the two, I’ve recovered over $7,000.00.

So, overcharging us is nothing new.

Funky

FBA Fees for media recently changed to match non-media, however the closing fee is still there, meaning that media now has higher fees than non-media.

You will need to adjust your prices accordingly.

Dave

The problem isn’t that they raised the fees they are not calculating the FBA fees correctly. I have done more research today and have found many more items being charged higher fees. Inventory Labs have also reported the problem. They found it because Amazon is passing different fees in the fba calculator than the fee preview report and what is being reported in inventory manager. It’s mainly smaller items not being classified as small standard size. Everything is being charged large standard size over 1 lb. This is a huge jump in fees.

Amazon could be reaping millions of dollars in extra revenue from these over charges because of volume so I imagine it will take some time to fix!!

The problem is that Amazon is now (after March 1st) using the old non-media size tier standard for media products that used to only be charged by weight. Thus, if the spine of your book is over 3/4 inch, even if it only weighs 13 ounces, it is thrown into the Large standard size tier and when the packaging weight (4 ounces) is added to it it goes over one pound so is rounded up to 2 pounds and is charged the 2 pounds and over FBA fee, $4.18.

So, you get the following costly anomaly. For books that are all 6x9 inches, if your book has a .7 inch spine and weighs 11.5 ounces, it is charged $2.41. If it has a .8 inch spins and weighs 11.5 ounces, it is charged $2.99. If it has a .7 inch spine and weighs 12.5 ounces it is charged $2.99. But if it has a .8 inch spine and weighs 12.5 ounces it is charged at the over two pound large tier rate of $4.18.

So, four standard trade paperback books that are within 5% of each other in size and weight are charged drastically different FBA fees, from $2.41 to $2,99 to $4.18.

This anomaly means the Media Fulfillment by Amazon chart that shows fees for under one pound, between 1 and 2 pounds and over 2 pounds have nothing to do with what fees are actually being charged.

The smallest standard mass market paperback measuring 4x6 inches and only weighing 6.4 ounces (ASIN 0722183062) is charged a higher fee ($2.99) because it has a 1 inch spine, than a book weighing nearly twice as much, ASIN 0923521720, weighing 11.6 ounces and having a .7 inch spine…

This anomaly caused by application of the old non-media size tiers to media products, makes the Amazon FBA Fee Changes chart at https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/201411300 quite misleading. The anomaly that leads to a small mass market paperback being charged more than a much larger book weighing almost twice its weight is misleading and unfair.

closed #7