FBA Changes as we prepare for a successful peak (US)

If it drops below 500 then we won’t be able to ship.

This year is tough.

Good luck.

How about Holiday or Seasonal products? I sell Halloween products - I have hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory in my warehouse and a staff ready to start assembling and shipping to Amazon. There are no recent sales because the last time these ASINs sold was Halloween 2019 but Halloween 2020 will have big sales. It doesn’t seem right that Amazon is not letting me send these products because there are no recent sales. Doesn’t make sense to predict Halloween 2020 sales by looking at sales for these ASINs in April, May, June 2020.

I don’t think that’s right. If it drops below 500 you’ll have storage limits imposed in addition to ASIN limits, which everyone will have regardless. You’ll still be able to ship. I want to know what happens if the IPI drops below 500 after the August 16 date.

Seems no doubt they’d put limits on you if you don’t stay above 500.

I have the same issue. I started a thread here:

I started a thread here about the same issue:

All of my ASINs have limits of 200, witch I can deal with, but I will struggle with the 500 IPI. Most of my sales are in Q4. August sales are the yearly low for me. It does not really say what the Q4 limits will be if you have a IPI of 499 on Aug 16th.

I have the same exact issue. I sell Halloween and Christmas themed products. I’m an 8-figure seller and will sell lot’s of these products in late-october and December respectively but no sales history in recent months since these products obviously don’t sell in the spring. I’ve already received all my inventory and have 20 employees ready to start assembling. Will go out of business if this policy isn’t changed.

Having something so important update weekly and cause sellers a bunch of stress…after sellers are already under a bunch of stress trying to make sure they keep changing to the landscape in the middle of pandemic (not to mention likely family/personal stress), is beyond messed up. We made a bunch of drastic changes yesterday. We are currently at 491. Are those changes going to get us 4 points or 20? Who knows? Tune in next week for “Is Amazon going to completely disrupt my small business that has so far survived a pandemic but is now put in jeopardy by a flawed metric that no one has any clue how it is determined”

Do you ship directly from supplier to FBA? What if you ship to your warehouse first, then ship to FBA in smaller quantities just before the Christmas?

Susan,
I’m an 8-figure seller. I have several year-round products and the storage limits are very high for those. But I have some Halloween and Christmas-themed products that have very low restock limits (since they obviously haven’t sold over the past 3 months). I already have all inventory at my warehouse and employees ready to assemble and ship. If someone at Amazon looked at previous years’ holiday selling history, they’d quickly determine that I will quickly sell out of these products for Halloween and Christmas 2020. Is there a way to change to restock limit for these holiday products?

I sell Halloween and Christmas -themed products that sell zero in the spring/summer but sell about $1M in sales during those holiday seasons. In my inventory planning page, I’m seeing that they’re basing the restock on previous 3-months of sale because they’re only allowing me to restock a very small quantity of these holiday-themed products. I already purchased and received all inventory…will really really hurt me.

I am with you all the way… we have 24000 active fba skus… we ship out 200k products/m, we paid 0.001% storage fees… we have an ipi of 491. We have 30 000 cubic feet at amazon which means that if I dont get to 500, we have a 300 000$ fine.

The only thing I can hope… is amazon changed how the IPI score is calculated and will inflate everyone. 6 months ago, an ipi score of 500 was godlike, perhaps they will change how the points are calculated to make it more “fair” who knows… but the jump was too high, too quick, it just doesnt make sense.

So, if I have 5 new ASIN’s that I’ve never sent in before, I’m allowed to send in 200 of each ?

You are allowed 200 units of each new product.
How is that “almost impossible”?

I am in the same seasonal boat. I am now wondering if closing the listings when it is not the season is the way to go.

I assume that once the issue is understood they won’t calculate ASIN limits on Christmas Ornaments based on ornament sales during the fall/summer.

A good solution to account for seasonality would be to calculate ASIN limits based on:

GREATER OF
Sales Past 90 Days (+ growth factor)
OR
Sales Same 90 Day Sales Period Last Year (+ growth factor).

Same 90 Day Sales Period Last Year = (Expected Receipt date - 365 days) through (Expected Receipt Date - 365 Days + 90 Days)

If any mods see this, I’d be happy to discuss with the business team to help them understand the logic or to develop the methodology. Our business is highly seasonal and we literally spend every day forecasting our inventory requirements based on our historical sales curves.

@GIblersGoods

1. What happens if this year the ornaments, or any other item, are slightly changed…new upc, and thus require new ASIN ?
  2. Not all sellers sell for the same “season”…so, different sellers will face this problem at different times.
  3. Maybe a better/easier way is to base the IPI on past 365 days…of course, for new seller with short selling history the IPI will be calculated based on their FBA history.

Here’s a simple question. Instead of waiting until August 16th to tell everyone that’s below 500 what their storage limits are going to be? Why not just show us now? That way Amazon can avoid having sellers send in thousands units in a rush or recalling/destroying thousands of units in a rush? Otherwise it seems like it’s going to be mass chaos for a month?

We haven’t decided what to do, we have been striving to stay over 400, but know there is no way we will get to 500 by August 16th.

Even if it’s just a “preview” of the limits, it will help everyone. I’m sure we aren’t the only one wondering this right now.

1. That would be a new product so that’s a separate issue. I believe they are saying 200 max of any new ASIN, either way there’s no ASIN specific historical data there so this methodology is irrelevant

2. That’s precisely why I used “Expected Receipt Date” as a variable in the calculation and not just 10/1-12/31

3. This proposal is for determining ASIN level inventory limits not IPI