Extremely limited product data exposed via SP-API - how does Amazon expect apps to import catalogs with only limited data?

Hey all,

I’m a bit perplexed as to how Amazon intends for developers to export a customers catalog into their application when the SP-API differs so drastically from the XML feeds when it comes to product definitions.

As an example, the Item response from the SP-API lacks important information like:

• Standard Product ID
  • Product Condition
  • MSRP_emphasized text_
  • Search Terms

And the list goes on. If a developer intends to import a customer’s catalog, how exactly does Amazon Intend they go about this? It seems like only a fraction of information about a product is actually exposed in a read fashion, while the write functionality supports their very verbose XSD Schema.

It seems like this isn’t a problem with MWS, but considering MWS is deprecated in favor of SP-API is there any way to retrieve the verbose definitions for products without MWS?

They basically don’t. Only seller provided data, and not even all of that, is available. This also only if Category Reports are enabled for the account.

Since you should have the products Amazon figures you should also already have the needed data.

This all changed some years ago when they removed our Advertising API access and removed all but the basics from the MWS Products API.

Thanks for the short history and perspective Oneida; Looks like I’ll be investigating some more unique approaches to importing user’s catalogs unfortunately.

It does indeed seem like Amazon intends for the SP-API to only be used as a reporting + feed upload tool, hell they didn’t even send the parentage of an item back until just a couple days ago.

I feel lots of functionality on SP-API is still coming down the pipe. We are slowly migrating and yet to find any less data on the calls. Throttle request policy is a mess though but seems not enforced for the most part.
FBA eligibility call is awesome and really was needed on MWS since the only way that could be done is by launching an item and verifying on the front. Wish they had it applicable to brand and category restrictions as well though.