Does Amazon mix its own stock in with FBA sellers?

I’m curious to know if Amazon mixes its own stock in with FBA inventory.

My son recently bought a set of BONES ball bearings (for skateboards) directly from Amazon. He was already smarting from a set he bought off ebay that turned out to be Chinese counterfeits, and he was leery of buying from Amazon for the same reason. These bearings are generally quite expensive (about $50), and after his ebay experience, he had learned that lesson we all eventually learn - that a price “too-good-to-be-true” ($18) generally is.

But I assured him that as long as he was buying direct from Amazon, and not from a secondary seller, he was okay. And Amazon’s price was about $35 - less than the usual price, but we all know Amazon can sometimes offer good deals because of the large quantity it purchases from manufacturers. I was sure that Amazon would not directly sell counterfeit products and that he would receive genuine BONES bearings.

So he gets a set from Amazon and they appear to be the real deal, but when we open the box, they are all scratched and used-looking. I figured someone bought them and switched out their old ones and returned. So we ordered a replacement set and they arrived today - and lo and behold, they look like counterfeits. He was able to tell the difference because the counterfeits often have the wrong date on the box (these did, just like the confirmed ebay counterfeits) and do not have MADE IN SWITZERLAND printed on the box. Our first box from Amazon had MADE IN SWITZERLAND actually printed directly on the box, but this new box instead had a sticker that said MADE IN SWITZERLAND and underneath the sticker - nothing. The boxes look identical except for these two discrepancies.

After reading his skateboarding forums where they discuss how to tell the difference, both from the box and the bearings, I have to agree with them that these appear to be fake. But I am shocked, as we were careful to buy from Amazon directly and not from a marketplace seller. I know Amazon would not intentionally sell counterfeits, so I wonder if maybe they mix their stock with FBA stock?

We are, of course, returning this replacement set. But now, unfortunately, it looks like the only safe move is to buy direct from the company at nearly twice the cost when you add in shipping.

Yes, I have read before prepping an FBA shipment, that if items from the same listing… could be shared.

They think their system of single listing and only join if you are selling the same thing, join the listing rather than creating a new one, works.

I would bet this is the main reason of those, my listing is suspended, due to counterfeit, fake, damaged, knock off, however I haven’t sold a single piece yet.

The whole listing gets taken down and all sellers under it gets notifications.

If the current stock is across the country, it will be fulfilled by another seller’s items and yours will be sent to that warehouse to replace the -1.

If within the package you received, is any trace of the seller who might have sent that to Amazon, I would report him alone for counterfeit.

If you place a return for counterfeit, all sellers from within that listing will be “suspended”.

i wonder if amazon will now suspend itself for selling fakes

>
> If you place a return for counterfeit, all sellers from within that listing will be “suspended”.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater! That truly sucks. I knew Amazon mingled FBA, but I am surprised they mingle it with their own inventory. It seems to me that this is the inevitable result.

To take down every seller on the listing means you would have to remove genuine products if even one fool sends in a counterfeit. That surely cannot benefit anyone - not the customer, not the genuine manufacturer, not Amazon.

I did put down as my reason for return that I suspected it was a counterfeit. So I guess Amazon does have to suspend itself now.

Edited by: *pristinebooks on Oct 5, 2015 5:26 PM

I read some reviews for these bearings and it appears that this has been happening for a while.

Is it possible that Amazon, just like a lot of other sellers does not always know where there merchandise is coming from?

If Amazon runs out of stock many times they will pull product from an FBA seller to fulfill an order (then reimburse the seller).

Many times that product from the 3P seller may not be authentic.

Amazon does repackage returns and resells them as new.

Is it possible that the manufacturer itself is now having them made in china?

This has happened to many items that used to be made in the US.

I am guessing that Switzerland does not have really cheap labor either.

Edited by: NSM62448 on Oct 5, 2015 5:25 PM

They don’t lol, but only because the condition for appealing is to show proof of authenticity. Send them invoices or so. Since Amazon has their own… they are “cleared” from it. Or… instantly re approved to sell.

That was my first thought, but according to the enthusiasts on these skateboarding forums my son reads, these are outright counterfeits. Apparently, the fakes have the wrong date on them - it reads “The pros choice from 1981” on the genuine box, while the fakes say 1983. Even if they did change their manufacturing and move it to China, they would not have altered the date of their start-up.

Though I have always wondered - WHY do counterfeiters often screw up on easy things like that? They go to so much trouble to copy something and then make a simple box error. I have seen this on fake dolls and toys, too. It seems there is always some minor difference that gives it away and you would think they would avoid that.

Well, now, isn’t that a violation of their own selling guidelines? I don’t believe we could get away with that.

You would think Amazon would be careful to buy only from trusted sources, like the company itself, but who knows - maybe they don’t. When I told my son he could trust that Amazon direct would be genuine, I assumed they would only buy from the actual company or a trusted distributor. I mean they make secondary sellers submit invoices to prove they are selling authentic products, so you would assume they hold themselves to the same standards.

I think it more likely I got an FBA product either mingled with their stock or because they were out of their own stock.

closed #12