Does Amazon Have A *Maximum* Pixel Size for Product Images?

Hi there!

I’ve had no luck tracking down a definitive answer on this.

Does Amazon have a maximum size for product images? Or a size you have found optimal, beyond which the image gets too compressed-looking upon uploading?

I’ve been scaling all of mine down to 1500 per side, but there’s talk in Handmade that the bigger, the better. Is there no upper limit?

The maximum is 10,000 pixels on the longest side.

Don’t believe it. I have word from someone inside Amazon (not Seller Support) that they’re going to start enforcing the image rules. Alert readers may surmise a new Listing Quality metric is in the works.

I introduce to you the NEW Listing Quality and Suppressed Listing Report:

Inventory > Inventory Reports > Select Report Type > Listing Quality and Suppressed Listing Report

Let the silly arguments begin.

Minimums are sort of easy – 500 for some categories and 1000 for the rest.
(I’ve been around long enough I remember 300 pixels as the standard size.)

Maximums are a bit more tricky – you’re more likely to run into file size problems than pixel limitations when you go too big. 10meg is the maximum size for a file.

Some categories have 2000 and others have 10000 for the pixel maximums.

For the stuff I sell I’ve never seen the need to go above 1500, and aim at file sizes under 0.4meg and in the 1000 pixel range.

-…-

Obviously the minimum is 1000px. I think I remember reading the max is 2000px. But different categories have different style guides so you need the check the one for that category.

Also I have found that even modest scaling with the most appropriate algo choice from like 500 to 1000 results in bogus image quality alerts for blurry, fuzzy and pixelated images. However seller support (somebody tech) confirmed to me my images were fine and to ignore the alerts as they will not lead to suppression of my listings. The alerts don’t go away though and are always there in “listing enhancements”.

Even IF they start enforcing image quality alerts through suppressed listings, you are implicitly assuming the bot algo for same will remain the same. It seems clear to me that it is oversensitive and detects minute aberrations that don’t matter because they are not visible to the human eye. All scaling algos produce artifacts and if I could find a solution I would be glad to implement it.

Excuse me. I (wrongly) assumed I was speaking to an experienced seller, not a newbie.

Please continue with the pixel scaling algorithms. Nothing like that has ever been known to bite a seller in the …

Somebody want to tell him about the reliability of Seller Support answers? I just don’t have the heart.

Yes. When you are in the Edit mode, and are going to add an image, check the rules shown on the screen:

>Product images style guideline
>Images must not exceed 10000 pixels on the longest side

I do not subscribe to the bigger is better theory. Anything over about 2500 is just an annoyance (just my opinion).

You’re right you don’t have a heart. This is where people go to get questions answered. Someone took the time to give you an answer. Just say thank and move on if it is not what your’re looking for.
You would think a “Master” seller would know about photos.
Know I don’t crap about selling. i have been resesarching a lot before I do so. but now I know not to do it here. Most of you act like ***holes towards newbies or if they get your question wrong. Just do not forget that you were all newbies once and had no clue what you were doing. Were you treated this way?

I appreciate the help so much.

I wanted to get a definitive answer before I go back and redo my approx 275 listings with 5-8 pics each … sigh. And I am a novice photographer making very complicated jewelry.

Thank Amazon, Handmade’s photo requirements are not as strict as yours. If I had to get some of my stuff onto 255-255-255 white backgrounds, it would take longer than it did to make it.

Thanks, everyone! :heart:

Calling Beff names is not going to help you around here. Calling other long time sellers names isn’t going to help either.

There are services that will do that for you. Search for forums or google it.

You seem confused. I’m the one who gave the answer: 10,000 pixels.

I also provided several valuable pieces of information:

• Don’t trust what Seller Support says. Ever.
  • My contact inside Amazon – yes, I have one – is emphasizing all due haste on resolving listing quality issues.
  • Since there is now a Listing Quality report which I’m guessing most sellers didn’t know about, there’s probably also going to be a Listing Quality metric. And that includes images, which must conform to Amazon’s rules. Everyone knows the catalog needs cleanup. And Amazon’s favorite method of getting anything done is to force us to do it.

Metrics, if you’re not familiar with them yet, can affect your ability to sell on Amazon.

Time for someone to try to upload a Gigapixel picture from the internet onto one of their listings.

Thank you so much, April! I did what you described and sure enough, I got a pop-up little paragraph that said maximum is 10,000 pixels. (This is for Handmade.)

What I was hoping to find out is whether anyone who is a pro at product photography here on Amazon knew if there was a point beyond which Amazon’s compression that happens when you upload a pic – if there was a recommended max size based on that. On Etsy it is common knowlege that we can’t upload images exceeding 1500px on the longest side without getting diminishing returns in terms of quality.

Actually, for Etsy that isn’t necessarily true. I also have a Pattern shop and found that 2000px wide was the magic spot. It also covers Retina displays which are double the pixel resolution of normal displays.

I found this because I was looking for an ideal aspect ratio for Amazon photos. Any of you pros know the magic aspect ratio? One that translates to mobile the best, of course.

Thanks!

Another NECROTHREAD :skull_and_crossbones:

closed #18

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.