user profile
Sign in
user profile

Competitor card insert offering $15 Amazon gift cards for 5-star reviews

by Seller_xtLTjRyXHiLAp

Hi all,

I have a competitor who is launching multiple products that are getting a TON of 5-star reviews very quickly, so I decided to check out their product to see what the hype was about. Well, the hype is about a $15 gift card that they are offering for every verified 5-star review. They have 5-7 products in this category and I’ve purchased 3 and they ALL have this offering.

This is obviously against TOS to buy reviews, but is there any reason I shouldn’t personally report them? I myself am not leaving them a review at all, good or bad. However, I do want to report this, but don’t know if it’s somehow against TOS for me to be buying their products and returning them (for reason “no longer wanted/needed” - nothing shady like “defective” or anything). Maybe if I leave out the return part it would be better?

It goes without saying that I’m suffering because of this. They’re getting hundreds of reviews immediately after launch and I’m much lower because I’m playing fair.

Tags: Reporting
29 replies
29 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_2sSWhvyZsq56v
In reply to: Seller_xtLTjRyXHiLAp's post

I’ve gotten one of those recently,

doubt we are talking about the same seller so it must be widespread.
Funny part is the item I purchased was $7.99 - but there was a business card in the box for $10 amazon gift card for a review.

In their defense the card only asks for “to write fair reviews” and " don’t show this card in the review"
So they are not asking for 5 star reviews but to offer more than the item for a review???

I didn’t do it, feeling that they would get my review and not send me the gift card.

user profile
Seller_X7OBF6xVWmHSX

Same here. Playing by the rules and getting almost no product reviews and seller feedback, even though I sell a lot. At the same time, when I order stuff from Amazon (mostly FBA stuff), I keep finding a lot of cards asking for 5-star reviews in return for a “gift” or a gift card. I saw Amazon’s notice at the Seller Central, reminding sellers not to do that, but Amazon doesn’t seem to do anything to stop this, unfortunately. We’ve reported a few violations in the past (different issues), but Amazon either didn’t do anything (that we saw) or did something completely different (killed a common listing, for example, instead of removing a seller who kept messing with a listing). Anyway, we are a bit tired of fighting this and don’t fell like reporting such violations are even heard anymore.

user profile
Seller_i8tYNlaQJJtuD

I’d buy all his products and report each one individually over the course of a week or so.

user profile
Seller_NxyJMKWHRM2dZ

You should absolutely report them. Amazon is quickly becoming a place full of off brand items that have fake and sponsored reviews. You’re playing by the rules and they’re not and it’s not fair. You need to fight back.

user profile
Seller_wCglRGzmL6Y0J

ah… so who is this seller eggxacctly…

we could use an extra $15
(or $1,500-- if we use some of our spare Ukrainan email addresses we have hiding on a server there…)

user profile
Seller_vF4p93YVT9w2a

Unfortunately Amazon does not do anything about these infringements, even if you report them.

I reported a competitor who egregiously used fake badges on their main product listing image “Amazon’s Favorite!” - I reported it and Seller Support said “we have taken action”… yet weeks later the same badge on the listing image is still there.

user profile
Seller_ovnYbUxT0EkwP

Hi Jeff2529,

I wanted to get an update. Were you able to report and get it sorted out?

user profile
Seller_MU8ehgZgMJ9K0

Not only is it against Amazon’s TOS, it is also a Federal crime to not, in the review, disclose that there was any kind of compensation to the reviewer.

user profile
Seller_MU8ehgZgMJ9K0

FTC Act:

The Federal Trade Commission Act is the primary statute of the Commission. Under this Act, as amended, the Commission is empowered, among other things, to (a) prevent unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce; (b) seek monetary redress and other relief for conduct injurious to consumers; (c ) prescribe rules defining with specificity acts or practices that are unfair or deceptive, and establishing requirements designed to prevent such acts or practices; (d) gather and compile information and conduct investigations relating to the organization, business, practices, and management of entities engaged in commerce; and (e) make reports and legislative recommendations to Congress and the public. A number of other statutes listed here are enforced under the FTC Act.

A question I have is how much responsibility falls upon the marketplace facilitator to self-police? Is the facilitator ever likely to face large fines for not doing enough?

user profile
Seller_cMvpORwUyvKFH

I also had one of these on a personal Amazon purchase the other day.

Had a review and qualify for monthly contest to win a $200 gift card.

But even worse…

Had a big starburst to receive a 10% off your next order by using promo code
on their own website with their website in big letters.

This was a VERY large US seller.

Go to original post