Starting August 1, 2020, the Chilean Government will require non-resident companies providing “remote services” to begin collecting Chilean VAT on these services when provided to Chilean residents or people not registered for VAT. This impacts Selling on Amazon fees (listing/referral services), Advertising fees, and monthly subscription fees. Amazon has been paying VAT on these fees on your behalf since the rules came into effect, however, effective August 1, we will begin charging VAT on these services for sellers based in Chile.
Unless you have provided us with a Chilean VAT ID as evidence that you are VAT-registered in Chile, the rule requires us to collect and remit Chilean VAT at a standard rate of 19% on Selling on Amazon fees, Advertising fees and monthly subscription fees, paid by sellers who are residents of Chile.
If you are based in Chile and provide us with your VAT ID will not have to pay a VAT of 19% on your Selling on Amazon fees, Advertising fees, and monthly subscription fees.
To provide Amazon with your Chilean VAT ID:
- Login to Seller Central.
- Under Settings, click Account Info.
- In the section Tax Information, click VAT information.
- From the list of countries, select Chile.
- Type your 9-digit Chilean VAT, for example, ‘XX.XXX.XXX-X’.
- Click I accept and acknowledge all conditions set out in the Tax registration agreement.
- Click Save.