Can I sell my Amazon seller account to another person?

We are considering getting out of the T shirt business and selling all equipment. Wondered if I could also sell my Amazon selling space.

Can you consider your Amazon online selling account as a private property? if yes, to what extent?

No. you can sell off your inventory, but your seller profile account is not transferable.

Selling account

Copied and pasted directly from Amazon’s help files:

*Can I transfer my seller account?
Seller accounts generally are not transferable. Seller accounts provide access to the tools and resources that sellers use to list their products and manage their orders. Seller accounts also include account activity history and buyer feedback. Every seller on Amazon must have a seller account and an agreement with Amazon that establishes the terms under which the seller lists and sells their products.

If the ownership of a business changes for any reason, the new owner needs to establish a new seller account.

If the ownership of a business isn’t changing, but the individuals responsible for managing the seller account have changed, you can add users to the account. For more information, see Set User Permissions.*

Are you going to sell your business? In other words, do you have a business which is it’s own entity?

We have a LLC, which 95% of what we sell is on Amazon. We do a little bit of local business but never tried to do any really. We are deciding if we want to sell off the equipment and get out of the T Shirt business or look to expanding and hiring staff to make it much bigger. In limbo right now as I am leaning one way, my partner the other.

Say goodbye to your partner and expand :slight_smile:

no

Take a look at this thread:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=250837

Out of curiousity, how would they know? You change your contact info, the business info remains the same?

I have never really thought about this, but what about children or spouse inheriting the business? If they are heavily involved they technically have to shut down the account and start over?

Not to mention inheritance.

Here is the user agreement - you will note they have provided correct wording if you are registering as a business - you have every right by the way, to sell your business and have expectations that the amazon account will not be negatively affected by such a sale … I believe that many of us may be referrring to “selling” our rights to sell on Amazon VS Selling our business… I believe the original post is a tad ambiguous as to what he is actually selling - the business or just his amazon rights?? . perhaps it can be clarified by the op …?

As used in this Agreement, “we,” “us,” and “Amazon” means the applicable Amazon Contracting Party and any of its applicable Affiliates, and “you” means the applicant (if registering for or using a Service as an individual), or the business employing the applicant (if registering for or using a Service as a business) and any of its Affiliates. Capitalized terms have the meanings given to them in this Agreement. If there is a conflict among terms in this Agreement, the Program Policies will prevail over any applicable Service Terms and the General Terms, and the applicable Service Terms will prevail over the General Terms.

1. Enrollment.
    To begin the enrollment process, you must complete the registration process for one or more of the Services. Use of the Services is limited to parties that can lawfully enter into and form contracts under applicable Law (for example, the Elected Country may not allow minors to use the Services). As part of the application, you must provide us with your (or your business’) legal name, address, phone number and e-mail address. We may at any time cease providing any or all of the Services at our sole discretion and without notice.

Even though Amazon says it is not allowed. I get emailed once a week with offers to buy seller accounts on Amazon. They list the category and how much volume they do. Also offer connections to the distributors of the items. So in short Amazon says no but know that people do it all the time.

Say seller named, J, purchased an Amazon seller account for $1,000. J listed 1,000 items with an average price of $400 and at the $400 price the items were heavily discounted. In less than 1 week J sold 500 of these items and received $200,000 worth of sales. If the seller account is old enough J might have the ability to remove these funds using the 24 hour withdraw settings or 1 withdraw every 24 hours.

J just paid $1,000 to rip of 500 customers at $400 a pop. J just made Close to $200,000 - fees in 1 week by purchasing someone’s seller account, using someone’s account history, and feedback to manipulate the buying experience / buyer.

This is just one of many frauds and or scams that could happen from sellers being able to sell their accounts. I believe people are doing this already though. It seems to me that the sellers who have the name or description, " Contact us at this email before creating the order " might be doing this scam.

If you are unsure contact Amazon and ask them the question directly. Maybe they allow it for certain situations where a person sold their entire business including marketplace accounts. If Amazon was aware that a new investor / account holder with more experience wanted to grow the brand maybe Amazon would be on board. I highly doubt it but give Amazon a ring and see what happens.

I am curious where these opinions come from … ? My LLC owns the account on Amazon, not me personally - I do not see my name anywhere on the registration info, other than as an officer of a LLC - Amazon has no idea who owns what % of my LLC … or who each member is … if I sell my LLC - I sell it with the legal federal tax number - not my social security .

Please show me where this guy can not sell his “business” if originally registered as a pro business account? . I agree he can not just sell his rights on Amazon - but if he is selling his actual business?

Neg this question all you want - but please show me where this info comes from - many of us may consider selling our business… and as a fairly large seller (mid 6 figures) on Amazon - I have no knowledge they can fail to continue our business if I sell my ownership interest to another… as I said - we are a pro business seller.

Edited by: Glass Packaging Solutions LLC on Feb 2, 2017 12:13 PM

"*Can I transfer my seller account?
Seller accounts generally are not transferable. Seller accounts provide access to the tools and resources that sellers use to list their products and manage their orders. Seller accounts also include account activity history and buyer feedback. Every seller on Amazon must have a seller account and an agreement with Amazon that establishes the terms under which the seller lists and sells their products.

If the ownership of a business changes for any reason, the new owner needs to establish a new seller account.

If the ownership of a business isn’t changing, but the individuals responsible for managing the seller account have changed, you can add users to the account. For more information, see Set User Permissions.*"

Assuming the quote above was a direct quote from Amazon Policy, it states simply that “generally” they are not transferable. It does not say No.

In the event of an account registered to a business like you have explained I think you’d be okay… and even if they preferred this didn’t happen, since you wouldn’t have to change any of the info on the account they would literally have no idea it happened anyway?

At first I thought no, but I think I have changed my mind. Legally you can sell your business and all its assets. The Amazon account is an asset just like any other. Amazon made a contract with your business and an ownership change does not change that. I do not see any reason Amazon even needs to know about a change of ownership. Your business is your business, not Amazon’s. Of course that’s just my layman’s opinion. See a lawyer.

Quoting this for the third time in the same thread really added a lot, Marilyn. Thanks.

Meanwhile . . . here’s how I would do it.

LLC A owns account.

Create another LLC, LLC B, that owns LLC A.

Sell LLC B.

The ownership of the account remains with LLC A. All rules followed, everything is kosher.

bunga bunga!

No Amazon accounts are not transferable.

You may be able to sell the entire business with bank accounts and tax ids

" Can I transfer my seller account?

If the ownership of a business changes for any reason, the new owner needs to establish a new seller account."