If you want to dive into the fuzzy areas then you
are entirely at Amazon’s merciful judgment if they
catch on. And mercy does not seem to be an
overstocked commodity here.

Don’t expect Amazon to spell out all possible exceptions
in a policy.

If you want to roll the dice, then you take your lumps as
they come.

So along this logic, is it still okay to have our url printed on the actual product right?

I’m a private labeler building my own brand. The product really doesn’t have any sort of warranty. At least not yet

Edited by: Bandicoot Gear on Apr 7, 2016 1:44 PM

There is no answer. Don’t conclude from my hypothetical that Amazon will view it as OK

But if there is no warranty, and no manufacturer support, what rationale would you offer to including the URL other than to solicit more sales, which is clearly a policy violation??

Maybe one of the Mods can chime in on this.
I have received several packages with outside websites in and on the boxes.
Now I am curious…

I think that is the crux of the issue.

Anyone who +thinks they have a legitimate reason+ for a URL
anywhere should assume that, if questioned by Amazon, it
will be inspected, and checked against a list or proprietary
criteria and analysis to determine compliance.

A shell of a website with shallow content and a +“subscribe to+
+our newsletter”+ link would fail even a cursory inspection in a
blink. A website with its own shopping cart would be an obvious
fail. They probably have a bot that can weed out 99% of
them on autopilot.

A website with links to investor relations, authorized distributors,
application forms, press releases, career, warranty, legal disclosures,
regulatory compliance, etc, might all be points in your favor.
Who knows?

Like I said, you roll the dice and you take your lumps. If you’re
faking it, it better be a darn good fake.

But, as CanadaRAM pointed out, if a fake website is really
that “good,” then what would be the point of directing a retail
customer there?

This is very common with shipments from 3P sellers. I would say that at least 50% of them do it in one form or another. A business card, a flyer, stuff on the packing slip, whatever.

I just toss them.

Edited to add: the 50% figure mentioned about refers to the orders I receive, not every amazon order.

Edited by: Tyrone Shoelaces on Apr 7, 2016 2:31 PM

That is my experience as well.

What I am really struggling with is the assertion (perhaps not
yours) that this is anything even approaching a “grey area.”

If Seller Performance goes to that URL, and can purchase
something, you’re almost certainly toast.

If there’s an email capture there (newsletter, free downloads,etc),
you’re probably toast, too.

If there are promotional links to other websites: toast.

If there is a “create a login” there: toast.

If there are none of these things, then why on earth would
you want a retail customer going there?

Where is the grey?

It’s a grey area. Because the whole point to private labeling is to build your own brand. And there are tons of products on amazon where people imprint the url on a towel, bracelet, backpack,etc…

If you can’t even put your own brand name and website url, then what’s the point to PL.

I don’t have the answer but I’m simply stating what I’ve seen

This brought to mind something that happened to me around Christmas. I was buying some books and the books came with a sticker on the back with the place’s address, phone number, website, and twitter. As well as, a bookmark in each book with kitschy book quotes on them. I doubt it was within policy because in 12 years of shopping here I’ve seen no one else do it.

+Maybe one of the Mods can chime in on this.+
+I have received several packages with outside websites in and on the boxes.+
+Now I am curious…+

Based upon my experience, solely, it would be a very rare occurrence for a Mod to weigh-in with a black and white response concerning an Amazon gray area.

It’s a gray area because; although you clearly can’t do anything ON the Amazon platform itself to direct customers away from Amazon for sales, we are all aware that you can’t buy a toothbrush these days without the manufacturer’s contact information or at the very least CS email or website either on the box,on a manual, on the product itself or in an insert.

It would be completely impossible for Amazon to eliminate this practice from the items sold on their platform, it would clear out a massive amount of the products sold here. You think disney is going to remove “disney.com” from being on everything they mass produce? Good luck!

Purely from a policy standpoint, Disney clearly is in
violation.

Amazon obviously applies the policy to Disney en-evenly,
as compared to the vast majority of 3P sellers.

Disney isn’t the only such example. And URLs redirecting
the sales channel isn’t the only policy snorted at by
other big players, either.

The “Grey” is not in the policy. +It is in how Amazon+
+applies it+ (or not) +at their sole discretion.+

Every thread I’ve seen on this topic amount to
an insistence that since Amazon doesn’t define
how they apply “sole discretion,” then that makes
the policy unclear. In my view, it doesn’t dilute
the policy at all.

Here’s the test: if you’re reading this forum at all,
you’re most likely not big enough to snort at any
of the policies.

Drat! You mean I’m not a big time mega seller. But I already got “Nextgreatmegacorporation” dot com registered. In all seriousness though, if no one is doing it I’d hate to be the guinea pig on a “new” Amazon policy. In my experience, I’ve seen it is near impossible for a non-manufacturer to develop a brand presence. Amazon’s actions suggest, to me that is, they want everything to be seamless and Amazon like as possible. However, make one mistake that goes to Customer Support, even a minor one and Amazon will throw you under the bus. Amazon policy is constantly evolving and being as conservative as possible is the best policy.

Sage,

I’m curious, does your URL go to a website with:

• retail sales ability
  • email capture
  • promotions
  • off-site links

The policy does not prohibit URLs in any place. The
prohibition is on the intentions behind providing one.

Serious question. Whether you were referring to
me (or not) about “those with no experience” in
this, I will cop to that now. I read the policy and
extrapolate from there.

Regards

We are not a “Big time mega-seller” but we do manufacture our products, as well as manufacturing products sold “By Amazon”. Our website goes on all packaging - including all products sold by Amazon.

Always has. Always will. We are responsible to our customers for product support and warranty. There are lots of folks here offering advice, few with experience. If you are a re-seller or PL of other folks stuff you are in a different boat, but if you manufacture your items and have contact info on packaging that is legit.

It should be noted that ALL our packing on all sales channels has this info. It is our standard packaging.

I didn’t bother reading all the responses because to me the answer is clear as day.

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD, if you are planning on building a serious brand.

Not putting a URL address on a product today is like not including a barcode or company name.

This has nothing to do with driving business away from Amazon. Redirecting Amazon’s traffic would mean including something like this on your packaging:

For a 10% discount buy directly from us at www…

Our site on the packaging is our Customer Support site, it includes product info, warranty info, a Blog, Questions and answers, etc. It is not built as an e-commerce site, we have others for that, but we do offer newsletters and allow customer contact.

Pretty much the same as any major brand would offer in support of their products. We don’t really care if someone buys directly from us or from Amazon so we don’t make any effort to distract or convert a customer to be a direct buyer.

Thank you!

Just have a web site that matches you Amazon store name, anyone wanting to find you off amazon can easily do so without any worries about a policy violation.

closed #27