user profile
Sign in
user profile

Buyers should have the option to DECLINE signature confirmation at their OWN RISK

by Seller_ppwQYDJK9Qxbv

We have many customers asking us to ship their orders without signature confirmation because they will not be at home to receive their packages.

The truth is: There are many “legitimate reasons” why a buyer might not want signature confirmation on the order. But for us (sellers) there is always the risk of being scammed.

My suggestion to Amazon is that buyers should have the OPTION to decline signature confirmation when they are placing and confirming the order during checkout. A simple checkbox would do it, saying something like this: "I decline signature confirmation and I am aware of this risks".

In this case, the *buyers who OPTED for NO SIGNATURE would lose their right to start an INR claim and would not be eligible for a refund - when the UPS / USPS / FEDEX tracking shows the package as “Delivered”.

Does this suggestion makes sense to you? I would love to hear your opinion and suggestions…

Thanks for reading this post!

Tags: Buy Box
54 replies
54 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_sJ6nHawArw0Wl
In reply to: Seller_ppwQYDJK9Qxbv's post

No. It would keep it the same.
Once an item crosses a certain price threshold, there should be no reason to allow anyone to opt out of sigcon.

Also, the carrier normally leaves a notice if they missed a delivery. And, if you are tracking the order, and see on the USPS website, or whichever carrier. You can reschedule the delivery yourself for them at a later time.

user profile
Seller_2kEIcneTyriGf

You will change your mind about not using SC when a scammer gets their money back on a high priced item. Amazon says no SC and you have to refund on INR no matter if a tracking number shows delivered.

user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S

Most if not all carriers will allow the customer to just sign a card so that the carrier can just leave the package on the next delivery day.
Some carriers even allow the customer to have signature on file so the package is delivered on the first attempt even when the customer is not home.

user profile
Seller_Op1XXeqLpOjfZ

What offers more protection? Insuring the package or Signature confirmation?

user profile
Seller_HGNCgmG14eLKq

NO, IF they are not home then they get a notice. IF you ship via Sig Required you shoudl give them a heads up so they no its coming that way. When we ship via Sig Required we make the Tracking info show “Signature Required” in the Tracking Fields so they see this when they check and recive the Email from amazon that the order shipped. Works great.

user profile
Seller_la6yWqhB9Jzwb

Never going to happen. “will this make more people buy more things” - if the answer is NO, then amazon will not spend time to develop it. And it’s never just a simple checkbox.

Putting one more thing for a customer to click (and think about) before buying = 1% of customers rethink their purchase, become distracted, abandon cart.

Amazon hardly ever requires signature on their own shipments, and they for sure aren’t going to add this to 3rd party ones.

As a seller, YOU have to determine based on price and address when YOU want to take on that risk.

user profile
Seller_TooxN03jE4bTC

No. When a package comes sig-con, and they’re not home, they will try a second delivery. That it goes to the post office for pick up. I’ve done it 100 times. Yes, it’s a pain, but necessary. Any legal document comes like this, and you just do it. This service gives us protection to ensure the package is delivered and signed for, and I for one don’t want to leave myself open to more INR’s.

user profile
Seller_K6eRoQ71t74ni

You can already do this with UPS My Choice and I believe USPS has a similar service.

user profile
Seller_aMWSlgizmbnhh

You would have to trust people to accept the personal responsibility of their decision if the package were to get lost and trust Amazon to be firm about enforcing their policy when the upset customer calls to complain about the results of their choice. That is too much trusting for me.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Contact your member of Congress to ask for changes to requirements for proof of delivery for mail order and similar not in person sales.

Go to original post