user profile
Sign in
user profile

Buyer used item and wants to return it

by Seller_LwGlfn8UaqLt1

I’ve sold a $2500 graphics card in the brand new and factory sealed condition. I’ve purchased postage from Amazon and shipped the card to the buyer. On 29 day from the delivery date, the buyer requested a return. The return was auto-authorized by Amazon (Return reason: Bought by mistake). By the buyer’s own words, he was using this graphics card for all these time and now he wants to return it.
I don’t think, that I would be able to sell this used card and it also may be returned in the damaged, unsellable condition. So it’s a complete loss for me. What to do? Even if I will charge 50% restocking fee, I will lose $1250 on it. Please, advise.

Tags: Fees
137 replies
137 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_nTxIp5cRYludC
In reply to: Seller_LwGlfn8UaqLt1's post

Sell on ebay from now on. No returns.
Nothing you can do actually. It’s the way Amazon is.
On day 29 ? They knew exactly what they were doing.
Problem is if you charge a 50% restock fee, Amazon keeps all of the selling fees I believe ? So you are out more than $1250. Someone confirm this please.

user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S

If you lose $1250 by refunding 50% means that you paid $2500 for the item and sold the item for zero profit.
Your actual loss is what the item cost you plus your expenses in selling and shipping the item MINUS $1250. (you keep $1250 in your pocket)
You are very likely correct in that the item may not be salable again (Check it out closely to see if maybe you can sell it someplace else as used)

user profile
Seller_Yvu9QfhV55nVu

@cimara
One thing to remember…even if you charge restocking fees, the buyer may open A-Z claim…and if this is denied…the buyer may open a dispute with the credit card company…
To summerize, you are not in good position.

user profile
Seller_D4EBL6QZsoNGN

could you take them to small claims court?

user profile
Seller_Mzbg56z7Yxcd7

Exactly why you don’t sell things like this on Amazon.

user profile
Seller_8tIiPf8FDl1dC

Ain’t it great how Amazon empowers scammers and rip-off artists?
Want free stuff? Use it and return it when you’re done, you can get them to authorize a “1 time” exception to the return period Want to keep it? Return your old item instead. Don’t want to do even that? Claim it was “defective” And why not? Sellers are rich, and have gotten that way by ripping off buyers, eh?

user profile
Seller_52OKC1pgX3Hf7

Make your return window 10 days, AND try to return your purchase of the product to manufacturer.

Steve

user profile
Seller_9qvNBPIv0bnXe

I am not surprised buford

user profile
Seller_7eKjyl4ElQzaB

I won’t even list items over $100 on Amazon. The higher you go in values the percentage of scams goes through the roof!! I would wager that items in that value you would have a 50/50 chance or less of a successful transaction.

user profile
Seller_R2dP7Hunjcdj0

Yes, the sad truth is that the BEST you can do is refund only 50% of the item cost (if it was $2500.00 plus shipping, you refund them $1250.00).

The silver lining is that IF they return it opened, AND you have pictures of it taken when shipped with the order form clearly readable AND it shows it was factory sealed, you are SUPPOSED to be able to file a SAFE-T Claim with Amazon, and IF Amazon does what they are SUPPOSED to do, they should reimburse you the other $1250.00, but you are out on shipping costs & fees both ways.

And Amazon gets out of honoring SAFE-T Claims like insurance companies get out of paying claims.

BUT if you do this, the Buyer can leave you a 1-star negative feedback on your account that will stick to you for Amazon life, like herpes.

For that amount of money, I would probably risk the Negative Feedback, but it is your call. Amazon will NOT remove it unless they are really foolish in how they word it.

But you can also report the Buyer to Amazon for abusing the Return system, for all the good it will do…

I wish you a sincere GOOD LUCK, and try to lessen of the bad taste of this transaction with the many, many GOOD transactions you have.

Go to original post